P5Q PRO Turbo - modded bios?

74 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Use osx86tools to generate your own string. Works for me with my 9600GT and QE/CL

Hi Shaumux,

i am not able to update the Bios, ezflash says wrong Imagefile. Any Idea? I renamed the file as you recomended in 806.rom as well, but...are there different Boards in different Countries maybe?

Best regards

Hi Shaumux,

i am not able to update the Bios, ezflash says wrong Imagefile. Any Idea? I renamed the file as you recomended in 806.rom as well, but...are there different Boards in different Countries maybe?

Best regards

Please be more clear and give details like what board, what version of the bios etc.

Please be more clear and give details like what board, what version of the bios etc.

My Board is a P5Q Pro Turbo, Bios Version 602. I couldt not find any Revison or something like that. I have to say my Hackintosh is running quit well, without DSDT or bios modding. It's a matter of lets say to understand whats going on in deep when i mod my bios etc.. :P

Thanks a lot

My Board is a P5Q Pro Turbo, Bios Version 602. I couldt not find any Revison or something like that. I have to say my Hackintosh is running quit well, without DSDT or bios modding. It's a matter of lets say to understand whats going on in deep when i mod my bios etc.. :blink:

Thanks a lot

So you get the error while flashing the modded bios?

So you get the error while flashing the modded bios?

Dear Shaumux,

some details:

- Board P5Q pro Turbo

- EZFlash 2 Bios Rom Utility is V3.34

- Bios now is 602

- Processor is E8400

- 6 GB RAM

- Grafic NVidia 8800 GT

- SATA HD Seagate 500 GB

When i trie to flash my bios i get: ROM ID in the file is incompatible with existing BIOS!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, i also have the P5Q Pro Turbo and im having some problems....

I installed SL using a Retail DVD Backup loaded with Empire EFI. erased a 500GB IDE drive with diskutility and installed there, it was quite slow and slugish install.

then i restarted and continued installing from the drive.until here fine. once i got to the OS things looked good and performance wasnt slugish.....5 minutes later the system is very slugish until unusable.

Ive heard people with the same mainboard saying they could install no problem and no modified bios.

My question is: what the f?%$$"% is going on?

-Could it be the RAM? anyone tried Kingston Hyperx on this board?

-What could cause this slugish slow performance?and whatever it is why does it apear only a few minutes after startup??

-also i installed chamaleon ( last version i think ) and when i reboot i see the bootloader and i can choose between WIN or MAC so....Why dont i have the Extra/extensions folder on my SL drive ???

Any Clues? shaumux?

Thanks in advance, Dave.

Hi all, i also have the P5Q Pro Turbo and im having some problems....

I installed SL using a Retail DVD Backup loaded with Empire EFI. erased a 500GB IDE drive with diskutility and installed there, it was quite slow and slugish install.

then i restarted and continued installing from the drive.until here fine. once i got to the OS things looked good and performance wasnt slugish.....5 minutes later the system is very slugish until unusable.

Ive heard people with the same mainboard saying they could install no problem and no modified bios.

My question is: what the f?%$$"% is going on?

-Could it be the RAM? anyone tried Kingston Hyperx on this board?

-What could cause this slugish slow performance?and whatever it is why does it apear only a few minutes after startup??

-also i installed chamaleon ( last version i think ) and when i reboot i see the bootloader and i can choose between WIN or MAC so....Why dont i have the Extra/extensions folder on my SL drive ???

Any Clues? shaumux?

Thanks in advance, Dave.

there is no extra/extensions directory by default you have to create it and putr the required kexts.

also its not necessary that it'll be on sl drive it'll be on the drive where chameleon is installed.

as for the sluggishness, check the kernel log first and then other system logs to see if theres anything wrong.

there is no extra/extensions directory by default you have to create it and putr the required kexts.

also its not necessary that it'll be on sl drive it'll be on the drive where chameleon is installed.

as for the sluggishness, check the kernel log first and then other system logs to see if theres anything wrong.

Thank you for answering,glad to know about the extra/extensions folder and about the slugishness i will have to look on updating the bios to a modded one.or trying diferent RAM. I will look on the kernel Log and post anything strange.

Thanks again. Dave

also in bios i have disabled the acpi 2.0 should it be enabled?

Thank you for answering,glad to know about the extra/extensions folder and about the slugishness i will have to look on updating the bios to a modded one.or trying diferent RAM. I will look on the kernel Log and post anything strange.

Thanks again. Dave

also in bios i have disabled the acpi 2.0 should it be enabled?

I don't thik that it would make a differenece to enable it or disable it but i think it would be better to enable it.

I don't thik that it would make a differenece to enable it or disable it but i think it would be better to enable it.

Hi again, ive updated the bios to the one there is in this thread, it didnt solve the the acpi table not found: dsdt.aml error, i then used dsdt patcher and now its ok, i also used the nvenabler kext and now my 9800gtx is fully recognized,ethernet is working and also my sound is working with the voodohda kext  if i remember correctly.....but

Im still having very slow startups, it takes 4-5 mins to let me even open finder or safari(once it boots to desktop), and when i looked at the processes the kernel task was taking 90% of cpu!

any clues what could this be related to??

also the log at startup does warn about: (apple intelcpupowermanagement) timed out has it got something to do with it?

also,should i be doing something with smbios?

my macosx versionis> 10.6 /10A432

and in sytem info i see that 64 bit kernel and extensions is: NO

should i put fakesmc kext to extra/extensions folder i created?

also when i boot i see these type of messages: loaded HFS+ file: extra/extensions/a kext from 435bad0 any clues?

Btw i installed using empire efi and a retail SL backup on to a IDE drive.then installed kexts and chamelon, bootloader works and lets me choose between win and macos but i can only boot macos with the empire efi disc...when i try to boot normaly without empire efi disc it doesnt panic but it stays loading forever.also when i go to my SL hard drive and then extras folder it was empty by default, i created a extensions folder but shouldnt there be files there from the chamaleon instalation??i have tried reinstalling but still empty.

HELP!

ps:could it be ram incompatiblity?i have 2gb of kingston hyperx ddr2 800 and sorry for long post :)

Thanks . Dave.

Im still having very slow startups, it takes 4-5 mins to let me even open finder or safari(once it boots to desktop), and when i looked at the processes the kernel task was taking 90% of cpu!

any clues what could this be related to??

Maybe X11 is slowing your SL down: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161690

also the log at startup does warn about: (apple intelcpupowermanagement) timed out has it got something to do with it?

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext makes hackintoshes kernel panic if they don't have a BIOS DSDT that's been corrected to fix it.

Download the disabler kext here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t133454.html

But, I'm not sure if it's really necessary... I get that error too, but it does not affect my SL... Everything works fine and fast.

also,should i be doing something with smbios?

SMBios is just a hardware profiler, you can set it to anything you like.

ps:could it be ram incompatiblity?i have 2gb of kingston hyperx ddr2 800 and sorry for long post :thumbsdown_anim:

I don't think RAM compatibility is an issue... (when using common RAM, which is the case with your RAM)

___

Correct me if i'm wrong... :)

thanks for the reply crysis and the info!it was helpfull   ^_^

Im glad to say its working!! it was related to the IDE drive i guess, i noticed it wasnt recognized so i added ATAPortInjector.kext and it seemed to solve the problem i booted with -x64 and now i have 64x super fast Snow Leopard running i also added Open haltrestart kext and now restart working, havent tried sleep or shutdown...

the only thing is that my PS2 keyboard isnt recognized anymore neither is my ethernet card....dont have a conexion anymore...ill look on that and post the results!!

thanks to everyone at this forums specialy shaumux and crysis for helping me out.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

with a modded bios,does that mean you can remove both the dsdt.aml and the dsdt.dsl ?

and will it boot faster ?

i am under 30 secunds at booting SL without using a modded bios,but i have it though.

• 5 months later...

What does the Modded bios do? As compared to the original? What is/are the benefits?

Does the audio input/output and mic work 100%?

Does the sleep function work?

I have a Q9550 intel quad core.

-Saphire HD4870

-8 Gigs of Patriot ram.

-WD 320 gig hard drive.

-SL 10.6.4 retail vanilla.

-Lifehacker Method.

After flashing with your Modded Bios will i still need to use the kexts for the LAN?

What kexts will i no longer need?

And how/where do i install the Voodoo PrefPane and Voodoohdahelper files?

Thank you

By the way you wouldn't happen to have Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi/Ap Bios mod do you? One that would get my audio in and out working and fix sleep issues?

Thanks.

Cameron.

A modded P5Q BIOS doesn't do anything magical for your sound, LAN, sleep or anything else.

Neither does it include any of the common DSDT fixes to your HPET device, etc as that would break compatibility with other operating systems.

The modded BIOSes for P5Q series boards have the CPU aliases removed in the DSDT table:

CPU_aliases.png

This allows you to boot retail OS X on those motherboards with a Dual- or Quad Core CPU installed, without having to use a patched DSDT and/or booting with CPUS=1. That's all there is to it.

If you have a P5Q series board and already have OS X running, there is absolutely no reason or benefit to using a modded BIOS.

Now for the good news:

If you use the Chameleon 2.0 RC5 bootloader it is no longer necessary to use a patched DSDT or modded BIOS in order to boot OS X on an Asus P5Q series motherboard: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

Hello Shaumux,

Is there maybe a way that you can mod the bios of my laptop : Lenovo N200 0769EPG

Because its a perfect laptop for OSX every thing runs ootb, but one big problem is that the cpu fan wont run

on cold boot, and then it overheats like crazy, so its not usable.

Can you help me with this by modding my bios so that its fixed???

url to bios : http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...67855.html#bios (then the V3.05 version)

I hope you can help me because i cant find a way to solve this.

Cheers,

Jay

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now for the good news:

If you use the Chameleon 2.0 RC5 bootloader it is no longer necessary to use a patched DSDT or modded BIOS in order to boot OS X on an Asus P5Q series motherboard: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

Do you mean I can update my P5Q to the recent Bios from Asus and still boot without cpus=1 or any other issues? Can I boot with nawcoms boot cd 0.3.1 or won't I be able to boot the retail DVD properly? (I don't know what bootloader it uses)

• 5 months later...

Ok I am having trouble with my p5q pro turbo. I flashed my bios, set boot priority up correctly, set my hd settings to achi, and I am still getting a kernal freakout.

I have a p5q pro turbo

4gb gskill ram

flashed bios

gtx 260 sli

I also want a dual boot from ntsf and a achi. Two seperate drives. Do I just need a achi driver for my windows 7 drive?

UPDATE: Got it to install correctly. BUT, it will only boot with one of the GPUs hooked up. How can I run SLI or disable the 2nd card so OSX will run? I don't want to have to remove the card each time I want to play in OSX. Any clues?