P5Q PRO Turbo - modded bios?

74 posts in this topic

Hi, I have this motherboard (p5q pro turbo) and i would to install Hackintosh on my pc

Whith this hardware can i istall it?

Core2Duo E7300 (2.66MHz)

Sound Blaster Live!24bit (internal)

Ati4830 512mb

If i can install it,

1 - is a MUST have a mod bios or can i skip it?

2 - what kind of Hack (iDeneb,iAktos,iPC OSX x86)could i use for it?

3 - is important if i wanna install on a sata or a ide hd?

4 - what driver and fix must i select in installation?

Sorry for my "long" request,but I'm a n00b on HACKintosh world

Thanks

Okay Shaumux, first of all, I want to thank you for the modded BIOS ( 602 ) with which I'm running my Leo Retail nicely.

But it seems I can't install SL at all. Tried all methods I can imagine. Using C3 to boot and install from a restore image or even a DVD. Installing within Leo but no success what so ever.

Lastly I tied your P5Q Deluxe method and I can go with -v till something about "AHCI start ....... timed out".

Well, I don't know what else to try in this board. Can you help me someway ( a little bit more? ).

Thx.

MoBo: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo

Processor: Q8200

VGA: ATI HD 4870

RAM: Generic 8GB

Sata: 80GB dedicated for SL

Hi, I have this motherboard (p5q pro turbo) and i would to install Hackintosh on my pc

Whith this hardware can i istall it?

Core2Duo E7300 (2.66MHz)

Sound Blaster Live!24bit (internal)

Ati4830 512mb

If i can install it,

1 - is a MUST have a mod bios or can i skip it?

2 - what kind of Hack (iDeneb,iAktos,iPC OSX x86)could i use for it?

3 - is important if i wanna install on a sata or a ide hd?

4 - what driver and fix must i select in installation?

Sorry for my "long" request,but I'm a n00b on HACKintosh world

Thanks

you may not need a bios mod at all depending on your motherbopard and bios.

But P5Q pro turbo does need one.

1. You may skip it and use the DSDT patcher which is kind of a soft mod.

2. You can install whatever works for you. I have a 10.6 retail install.

3. It did matter if it is an older version. But i think snow leopard works well with sata and ahci

4. Depends on you motherboard and configuration. But at the minimum. You would need Chameleon boot loader with some other kexts for it to work. Many guides are available. Or check my guide linked a few posts above.

Hope that helps

Okay Shaumux, first of all, I want to thank you for the modded BIOS ( 602 ) with which I'm running my Leo Retail nicely.

But it seems I can't install SL at all. Tried all methods I can imagine. Using C3 to boot and install from a restore image or even a DVD. Installing within Leo but no success what so ever.

Lastly I tied your P5Q Deluxe method and I can go with -v till something about "AHCI start ....... timed out".

Well, I don't know what else to try in this board. Can you help me someway ( a little bit more? ).

Thx.

MoBo: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo

Processor: Q8200

VGA: ATI HD 4870

RAM: Generic 8GB

Sata: 80GB dedicated for SL

Whats mode is your hard disk set to work in AHCI or IDE

Check those settings in your bios.

Change and try.

Post a pic if possible.

AHCI. As I said, I could install and am working with Leopard retail using your modded BIOS ( one would suppose HD settings are on AHCI in BIOS ).

Anyway, will try to shoot some picts with my iPhone. May not be perfect.

Well they need not be perfect just to get an idea about what might the problem be.

The problem might not even be with the hd. it can be with the dvd drive.

Well the settings should be in Ahci but that might not be the case, best check it yourself.

Try other modes if possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after the hollidays I'm back and ready to keep trying install SL in my P5Q Pro Turbo.

Shamaux, here are my MoBo settings. Maybe i'm not using a right version of your modded BIOS. Is there a link to the latest BIOS mod that you did?

post-482002-1262958404_thumb.jpg

post-482002-1262958435_thumb.jpg

post-482002-1262958455_thumb.jpg

post-482002-1262958479_thumb.jpg

post-482002-1262958500_thumb.jpg

post-482002-1262958519_thumb.jpg

post-482002-1262958541_thumb.jpg

post-482002-1262958562_thumb.jpg

post-482002-1262958587_thumb.jpg

post-482002-1262958612_thumb.jpg

post-482002-1262958631_thumb.jpg

Well, after the hollidays I'm back and ready to keep trying install SL in my P5Q Pro Turbo.

Shamaux, here are my MoBo settings. Maybe i'm not using a right version of your modded BIOS. Is there a link to the latest BIOS mod that you did?

Ok i see that you jmicron controller is enabled.

Disable it and try to install SL.

If you want to enable it install SL first then install the kext for it then enable it.

It works perfectly ! Im successfully installed 10.6 Snow Leopard (by Den, not retail), audio starts working with VoodooHDA, motherboard with kext (google it) but i cant run videocard, after installing NVInject 1gb i cant login. When im typeing my password at login and press "Log in" it back again and again. Im already tryed to reset password from install disc - no results.

so you just have to burn the zip file that's on the link?

Tried with jmicron disable. Got the same error as before ( look at pictures ).

Maybe I'm trying a wrong process to install it. How would you suggest a install SL under this board?

Or maybe my modded BIOS is the wrong one ( but works flawless with Leo ). How is this new one different from the one you posted before?

At last, Shaumux], maybe you could help me walk step by step in the process ( although I'm not that dumb in doing it ). All I know is that there's something I might be doing wrong, and I want to know what.

post-482002-1263210919_thumb.jpg

post-482002-1263210975_thumb.jpg

Tried with jmicron disable. Got the same error as before ( look at pictures ).

Maybe I'm trying a wrong process to install it. How would you suggest a install SL under this board?

Or maybe my modded BIOS is the wrong one ( but works flawless with Leo ). How is this new one different from the one you posted before?

At last, Shaumux], maybe you could help me walk step by step in the process ( although I'm not that dumb in doing it ). All I know is that there's something I might be doing wrong, and I want to know what.

From the photos i'd say most probably its a kext issue.

Maybe a cache issue.

sev1972 here faced something similar while experimenting.

Try regenrating cache.

Are your !0.5 kexts in the /extra kext folder?

They might interfere.

From the photos i'd say most probably its a kext issue.

Maybe a cache issue.

sev1972 here faced something similar while experimenting.

Try regenrating cache.

Are your !0.5 kexts in the /extra kext folder?

They might interfere.

Well, I sort understood what sev1972 tryed but couldn´t figure ou how he did it. As far as I can say, he just removed some kext from the bootloader that were giving him the load error. The thing is, I don´t know exactly wich kext or extensions to remove.

Here´s what I have so far:

1) Have Leo 10.5.8 retail working 98% ( as expected ).

2) in the same HD as Leo, have a partition with an img of SL redy for install.

3) have a separate HD formated as GUID and waiting to install SL in it.

4) downloaded Chameleon RC4 and manually installed at SL HD.

5) doanloaded your Extra folder ( from the page you linked at above post - also followed the instructions to modify PlatformUUID.kext ) and placed in the SL HD root.

6) boot and choose SL HD as the boot HD.

7) Chameleon RC4 interface appears giving me the option of my current Leo partition or the SL Install partition.

8) verbose mode on SL Install and after a while, same error as posted in screenshot above shows up.

Things I want to know about my ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo:

1) is it really possible to install SL on it ( I saw 1 or 2 topics stating successful installs but none of them gave the how-to )?

2) if it is so, is it better to go with modded BIOS or DSDT? How can I learn more about DSDT for my MoBo ( if this is the case )?

3) if modded BIOS is the solution, am I using the right one ( showed in screenshot above )?

4) I do have to say that I´m using Leo with current ( modded BIOS ) with no concern.

5) which are the preferred kext to use for SL in this MoBo?

Thank you for your attention once more.

PS: here´s a pict of SL HD as it is after Chameleon RC4 and your Extra folder:

post-482002-1263824372_thumb.png

Well, I sort understood what sev1972 tryed but couldn´t figure ou how he did it. As far as I can say, he just removed some kext from the bootloader that were giving him the load error. The thing is, I don´t know exactly wich kext or extensions to remove.

Here´s what I have so far:

1) Have Leo 10.5.8 retail working 98% ( as expected ).

2) in the same HD as Leo, have a partition with an img of SL redy for install.

3) have a separate HD formated as GUID and waiting to install SL in it.

4) downloaded Chameleon RC4 and manually installed at SL HD.

5) doanloaded your Extra folder ( from the page you linked at above post - also followed the instructions to modify PlatformUUID.kext ) and placed in the SL HD root.

6) boot and choose SL HD as the boot HD.

7) Chameleon RC4 interface appears giving me the option of my current Leo partition or the SL Install partition.

8) verbose mode on SL Install and after a while, same error as posted in screenshot above shows up.

Things I want to know about my ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo:

1) is it really possible to install SL on it ( I saw 1 or 2 topics stating successful installs but none of them gave the how-to )?

2) if it is so, is it better to go with modded BIOS or DSDT? How can I learn more about DSDT for my MoBo ( if this is the case )?

3) if modded BIOS is the solution, am I using the right one ( showed in screenshot above )?

4) I do have to say that I´m using Leo with current ( modded BIOS ) with no concern.

5) which are the preferred kext to use for SL in this MoBo?

Thank you for your attention once more.

PS: here´s a pict of SL HD as it is after Chameleon RC4 and your Extra folder:

Try these kexts they are almost the bare minimum only of what i use and the latest releases. Maybe they will work for you.

Yes it is possible to install SL

DSDT or modded bios is the same to the os. In modded bios we mod the dsdt in the bios directly so no loading is required. In the DSDT method you extract the dsdt mod it and put it in the disk which is loaded by the os at boot time.

Its kind of a soft mod, you can say.

From the screenshot can't say, are you using the modded bios made by me?

Diid you install leo from some distro or retail?

Theres nothing like a preferred kext but there are some essential ones like nullcpupowermanagement, fakesmc.kext etc without which OSX will not boot on a regular pc.

I like to keep the kexts to as minimum as possible to get the nearest to retail system, also i prefer to keep the kexts in /extra/extensions if possible, that will keep the retail system mostly unpolluted on the disc.

Archive.zip

Hi Shaumux,

I was wondering if the Asus P5Q3 needs a modded BIOS to install Snow Leopard...

I'm using Rev. 0707. (Attached)

If so, could you help me?

I wouldn't have the slightest clue where to start with modding a BIOS for Snow Leopard :unsure:

(I'd do it myself if I could...)

I would greatly appreciate your help! ;)

P5Q3_ASUS_0707.zip

Hi Shaumux,

I was wondering if the Asus P5Q3 needs a modded BIOS to install Snow Leopard...

I'm using Rev. 0707. (Attached)

If so, could you help me?

I wouldn't have the slightest clue where to start with modding a BIOS for Snow Leopard :)

(I'd do it myself if I could...)

I would greatly appreciate your help! :)

I modded the newer bios revision

Includes OSX fix and SLIC 2.1 and SLI enabled

P5Q3_ASUS_0806_SLIC_OSX_SLI_shaumux.zip

Thx, you're the best! :P

I'll post my results...

SLI enabled

Wait, I can use SLI now? :) Or did you mean Crossfire? (I thought the board was Crossfire only?)

UPDATE: BIOS works perfectly! :D w00t!

BTW, If anyone gets an error when trying to update the BIOS using the BIOS' built-in tool EZ FLASH,

"Error while erasing blocks", you have to rename the .ROM file to just the revision number.

For example: ASUS_P5Q3_0806.rom needs to be 0806.rom

Thx, you're the best! :P

I'll post my results...

Wait, I can use SLI now? :) Or did you mean Crossfire? (I thought the board was Crossfire only?)

No i mean sli

you can use sli atleast on windows with a modded hal.dll or modded drivers your choice.

This fix includes the simplified sli certificates from the 5 series intel boards which have sli.

Awesome! Thanks! I'll Google for the modded hal.dll or drivers :)

UPDATE: For anyone who's looking for this: Here's a tutorial on how to modify drivers for Windows 7 32-bit ;)

(P5Qx Series, so including P5Q3)

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/634404-gui...i-asus-p5q.html

from the link you gave you don't need to do the string installer step since that is what i already included in the bios.

the string installer is kind of a soft mod like the dsdt patch for osx.

you only need the modified drivers or the hal.dll

Oh ok, nice!

BTW, that "SLIC 2.1", does it just enable you to permanently activate a downloaded copy of Windows 7?

I have a legal copy of Windows 7, but it's a nice BIOS add-on anyway :)

its an offline activation method you can say.

its what the oems use to activate

You would still need a oem:slp key and the asus certificate to activate.

Both of them are easily available just use google or bing or whatever you like

I'd like to report the Snow Leopard installation went very smooth :D (I used the SnowOSX Universal 3.5 distro)

LAN works out of the box, audio works with VoodooHDA (64bit), video card works with NVEnabler_64 for Snow Leopard (NVEnabler_64.kext) (QE/CI)

Only need the right kext/GFX string/... for my XFX 9800GT to get my QE/CI working :(

EDIT: QE/CI works, using a generated gfx string

I've attached the kexts, in case those links break...

NVEnabler_64.kext.zip

VoodooHDA_Pref_64b.zip

I'd like to report the Snow Leopard installation went very smooth :unsure: (I used the SnowOSX Universal 3.5 distro)

LAN works out of the box, audio works with VoodooHDA (64bit), video card works with NVEnabler_64 for Snow Leopard (NVEnabler_64.kext) (No QE/CI yet)

Only need the right kext/GFX string/... for my XFX 9800GT to get my QE/CI working :(

I've attached the kexts, in case those links break...

Use osx86tools to generate your own string. Works for me with my 9600GT and QE/CL