HP EliteBook 8530w - OSx86 Installation

merkaba

134 posts in this topic

Google Belkin F5D8073, because i bought my in Denmark, from a danish company. Around 40-50 USD.

Driver: http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/..._2009_02_17.dmg

I have attached a picture of the installed card. Acceptable "stiky-outy-ness" for permanent install, I think.

Cheers

Stevns

Awesome Stevns. I also work for HP and have a 8530w. I found that I'm almost vanilla. I didn't do anything special after installing iDeneb 10.5.6, I just upgraded to 10.5.7, then 10.5.8, no combo update. Everything pretty much works. Waiting on Wireless Lan driver from IWIDarwin, but I'm using a wireless bridge to the ethernet for now so that's kind-of ok. That or iphone bluetooth tethering to get some sort of internet access. (almost like having wireless, eh? ) anyhow, I was wondering if you knew how to get dual monitors going on this. Also, do you know if the hdmi port would work?

Thanks in advance.

--agony

PS, you can probably look up my name on the GAL.

for me i didn't find a way to boot on an external monitor/LCD through the docking-station with DVI or VGA. but i didn't try hard...

hm... things we should get running are:

- brightness-control

- sleep-issue: display is very dark after a sleep/resume, same problem under linux (in linux the brightness-keys aren't working too )

- DVI/VGA/HDMI would be nice

- BIOS-mod for mini-pci e cards

- Microphone support would be so nice (skype, etc)

- general bluetooth-hackintosh-problem: it's not possible to pair with iphone correctly for tethering> bluetooth-icon in menubar is grayed out with the text "bluetooth: disabled/turned off) after pairing with the phone... USB works :)

for me i didn't find a way to boot on an external monitor/LCD through the docking-station with DVI or VGA. but i didn't try hard...

hm... things we should get running are:

- brightness-control

[...]

- general bluetooth-hackintosh-problem: it's not possible to pair with iphone correctly for tethering> bluetooth-icon in menubar is grayed out with the text "bluetooth: disabled/turned off) after pairing with the phone... USB works :rolleyes:

iPhone 3G Bluetooth paring works fine. The bigger problem is that there seems to be no way to turn bluetooth back on the next time you need to tether or whatever with the iPhone. I found a way around this! Go to your Apps and find the Blue Tooth File Transfer, or whatver it's called, and double click it. You will get a message which asks you to turn on bluetooth. Say yes, and enjoy your tethering again. It's a bit of hack, but it seems to work better than deleting and re-adding the phone every time.

One note, in order to add the phone properly from the bluetooth control panel, you must have the iPhone on the BT screen under general settings and it must say "now discoverable" if you don't do this, it won't be added. You also may need to try a couple times. Turning off WiFi can help speed this up.

--agony

iPhone 3G Bluetooth paring works fine. The bigger problem is that there seems to be no way to turn bluetooth back on the next time you need to tether or whatever with the iPhone. I found a way around this! Go to your Apps and find the Blue Tooth File Transfer, or whatver it's called, and double click it. You will get a message which asks you to turn on bluetooth. Say yes, and enjoy your tethering again. It's a bit of hack, but it seems to work better than deleting and re-adding the phone every time.

One note, in order to add the phone properly from the bluetooth control panel, you must have the iPhone on the BT screen under general settings and it must say "now discoverable" if you don't do this, it won't be added. You also may need to try a couple times. Turning off WiFi can help speed this up.

--agony

hey, i will try this by time.

topic brightness-control, i found some news with a beta-linux driver. this beta fixes under linux the brightness-controll-issues:

http://www.linlap.com/wiki/HP+EliteBook+8530W
christian, Friday 15 of May, 2009 [17:06:20]
Finally the newest Nvidia pre release driver 180.60 solves a lot of problems:
- PowerMizer works
- text consoles work
- brightness control works

Nvidia has really surprised me with this release;)

is there a way to get beta-drivers for mac?

i think i will now try to install snow-leopard on this thing :welcomeani:

I know that Nvidia has mac drivers on their site.

Anyone interested in testing it?

(it's for 285GTX but maybe be a unified driver)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_MacOSX_18.5.2f16.html

/stevns

snow leopard is running fine!

at the moment i am trying to get sound with voodooHDA running.

video is fully working, no brightness-controlls (only ambient-sensor)

Im allready ready for a re-install :)

Are you running 64 bit or do you have to hold down 6 + 4 when you boot?

btw: Zip file with working SnowKitty kexts? :P

6+4? no! what? i don't know that!

on default the bootloader boots the kernel in 64bit mode. but a few kexts (like the one for network) are only in 32bit.

my workstation at home, aka mac brow :D, is running in 64bit without problems

my elitebook is bootet with -32 parameter as you can see in my boot.plist...

kext is coming...

Here is my current state:

Bootloader, Boot.plist, tools, used-kexts, a lot of things to play with:

Elitebook-SnowKexty.zip