HP EliteBook 8530w - OSx86 Installation

merkaba

134 posts in this topic

It seems more people are showing up with this laptop so i figured i'd start a thread on it. There is a lot of good information already on it, but it's not really in the proper thread. Anyone needing help with this laptop should start by looking here first:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=137343

I will start by telling you how i got my EliteBook 8530w working. The only kext you will need are here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ytnxmlqjjii

Intel82566MM.kext is for your NIC

audio.kext_8530w is for your audio (three kexts are included in that and i give credit to mianos for finding them!)

Netgear_WG111v2 is my USB Wireless i bought (because the onboard one will not work yet)

You can also download the Realtek RTL8187L driver driectly off the realtek website which is the proper driver for the Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless thing i have.

The release i had success with is the XxX 10.5.6 with PPF1 release (never tried the v2 XxX release). I have tried iPC and iDeneb and neither work with everything. They have some conflicts (not sure where but they do).

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142876

If you use this release, you can get everything working except the onboard wireless. These are the exact things i used for installation...

Essential System Software

X11

->Essential System Kexts (all of them)

Optional Kernal

->Voodoo 9.5.0

Chipset Support

->New ICHx (ICH10)

GraphpicsDriver

->NVInject 0.2.1 512MB

Tools

->KextHelper

->OSX86 Tools

I also used the USB Fix but i forget where it is exactly.

With this configuration you get full resolution switching and QE/CI support. The audio touch toggles above the keyboard work perfectly as well. Before you go installing all the kexts and customizing everything, i would suggest using the iDeneb 10.5.7 upgrade kit in order to get to 10.5.7. This worked perfectly for me and can be found here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=166637

So at this point you will be fully functional (maybe without wireless), and on 10.5.7. My goal with my 8530w is to get onto a retail version of OSX, and to be fully functional. I think the biggest issue would be the video card being a FX770M (i think equivilant to a 9600GT). I know the NVInject 0.2.1 that i use does not work with the iDeneb or the iPC releases. They don't even boot in safe mode. If anyone has any input on making retail osx work, it would be great. Post all how-to's here for everyone to use.

I am on Retail 10.5.7 with original kernel.

hp-elitebook-8530w:~ flo$ uname -a
Darwin florian-obradovics-hp-elitebook-8530w.local 9.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Tue Mar 31 22:52:17 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.12.14~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

i just installed:

Audio-Drivers

the VoodooPS2 Drivers for Touchpad

The Intel NIC Driver

A Driver for my Wireless-Usb-Dongle, not necessary here :)

the latest chameleon-bootloader :)

After Upgrade to 10.5.7 i installed recompiled AppleUsbDrivers from the "10.5.7_RepairPack.v1.3.by.cVad.dmg". ask google, you'll find it. Sleep is working. BUT after sleep the display-brightness is at it's lowest level. any idea for that?

@merkaba did you try vanilla kernels too? could it be the kernel which causes the brightness problem?

The nVidia is running fine here. no nvInject, just the Efi-Strings....I attached my com.apple.boot.plist for you guys, so you can get your hands on the strings :(

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

ok, i installed with the dmg... display is still very dark after sleep....

the boot-time feels longer.

EDIT:

back on 9.7.0 vanilla ;)

boot is much faster.

the boot-delay on voodoo is caused by voodoo-hda while it's probing the codecs..... i think ;)

i recognized that the internel-N.I.C. isn't working after sleep/resume ;)

Anyone get the ACPI related stuff working on the 8530w? I'm running a vanilla install.

I did get the battery indicator to show up (what was pretty cool was two batteries showing in the menu bar when I have the extender battery connected to the laptop). But I'm not sure the power management is working correctly. The only temps I can monitor from the iStat widget in the dashboard is the HDD. The CPU and GPU temps are not listed. If the system doesn't know what the temps are, how is it going to set the fan speeds. Maybe it is just my paranoia but the system seems to be running hotter under OSX versus Win7.

Can someone check with iStat on their installs how many temp readings you have?

Cheers!

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Darwin florian-obradovics-hp-elitebook-8530w.local 9.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Tue Mar 31 22:52:17 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.12.14~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

i just installed:

Audio-Drivers

The Intel NIC Driver

A Driver for my Wireless-Usb-Dongle, not necessary here :rolleyes:

After Upgrade to 10.5.7 i installed recompiled AppleUsbDrivers from the "10.5.7_RepairPack.v1.3.by.cVad.dmg". ask google, you'll find it. Sleep is working. BUT after sleep the display-brightness is at it's lowest level. any idea for that?

@merkaba did you try vanilla kernels too? could it be the kernel which causes the brightness problem?

The nVidia is running fine here. no nvInject, just the Efi-Strings....I attached my com.apple.boot.plist for you guys, so you can get your hands on the strings :)

I'm having trouble sleeping (pun intended). I'm on 10.5.8, but i haven't installed the AppleUsbdrivers from cVad. Are these necessary for trouble-free sleeping?

My 8530w goes dark, but does not "turn off", and i need to make a powerbutton reset (which reboots the machine) before usage.

Thanks for the drivers and plist btw. Everything works (and waiting for my Apple Airport Extreme (Atheros 5007 mini-PCIe) from eBay for wlan).

Cheers

Stevns

Btw: used iATKOS v7.

hey Stevns,

THE F**CKIN WLAN-THING :rolleyes:

- HP built a restriction into their BIOS: if you change the WLAN-Card the machine doesn't boot! they just allow HP branded cards.

They have a whitelist with allowed cards/pci-ids on...

the sleep thing:

if it just goes dark use the USB-drivers. the stock-drivers causing the "it doesn't turn off" problem

btw. is there anyone out there who tried patching a current HP-Bios/EFI-Mixture :)

which bios-editor do we need to compile/disassamble and change the vendor and pci-ids for an other card?

hey Stevns,

THE F**CKIN WLAN-THING :D

- HP built a restriction into their BIOS: if you change the WLAN-Card the machine doesn't boot! they just allow HP branded cards.

the sleep thing:

if it just goes dark use the USB-drivers. the stock-drivers causing the "it doesn't turn off" problem

btw. is there anyone out there who tried patching a current HP-Bios/EFI-Mixture :)

which bios-editor do we need to compile/disassamble and change the vendor and pci-ids for an other card?

What! I work at HP, and im going to find a way around this! (Im not in the product nor support department).

I'll have a go with the USB drivers.

Cheers

Stevns

What! I work at HP, and im going to find a way around this! (Im not in the product nor support department).

I'll have a go with the USB drivers.

Cheers

Stevns

Hey stevns,

we should have conversation on skype :D

i'm at a big german IT-Service provider for software and consulting projects. we have projects for HP in house too :) and a lot of HP machines (workstations, laptops and a lot of servers) it would be nice to get the right tools to mod a bios for a pciE card...

pm me :) !

cheers.

p.s. the USB-drivers are the key for sleep issues.. BUT: after sleep is the display realy dark and we cannot change the brightness: exact same behaviour und serveral linux-distributions... i didn't find a fix for yet!

hey Stevns,

THE F**CKIN WLAN-THING :D

the sleep thing:

Btw: Do you know where the whitelist is?

Btw 2: Thanks for your help :)

Cheers

Stevns

as first i replaced the existing wlan-card.

as second i tried the slot for the wwan-module.. but osx/win didn't recognize the card.

it was a card from a HP Compaq 6720s, its a broadcom 43xx

lspci says this:

10:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 02)

could it be possible that i have to cover one of the pins with a sticky tape like with other cards to avoid the wirless-button's on/off-function?

which pin is the right?

to the whitelist: its hardcoded in the bios image. what kind of bios is on the elitebook?

for phoenix bios there is the "phoenix bios editor" and a lot in the web howto change the ids in the bios... google for error 104 bios hp wlan...blabla :)

i found this by now :=)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75242

upgraded succsessfuly to 10.5.8... noo need here for recompiled USB-Kexts .... the one from the combo-update works...

but i didn't try sleep :) its possible that i will have the typical sleep issues with the stock-USB-kexts... display goes dark, doesn't turn off, etc....

i just installed:

Audio-Drivers

The Intel NIC Driver

A Driver for my Wireless-Usb-Dongle, not necessary here :(

The nVidia is running fine here. no nvInject, just the Efi-Strings....I attached my com.apple.boot.plist for you guys, so you can get your hands on the strings :)

Hey Mianos,

What kind of kexts do you have on your boot 123 iso?

And also what version did you installed initially? (before updating to 10.5.7)

I am trying to installl 10.5.7 and it seems that I am using the same set of kexts as you did, but still getting "Waiting for the root device".

Thanks,

Stan

Hey Mianos,

What kind of kexts do you have on your boot 123 iso?

And also what version did you installed initially? (before updating to 10.5.7)

I am trying to installl 10.5.7 and it seems that I am using the same set of kexts as you did, but still getting "Waiting for the root device".

Thanks,

Stan

Im using MBR. You?

Also: Try iATKOS v7 10.5.7 (from The Bay). Worked like a charm.

Im using MBR. You?

Also: Try iATKOS v7 10.5.7 (from The Bay). Worked like a charm.

I am using next set of kexts on my Boot123 iso (compiled with slimbuild script):

Essential set of kext from Boot123 iso:

(dsmos.kext, SMBIOSEnabler.kex, IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext, ACPIPS2Nub.kext)

+

Set of kexts mentioned by Mianos

(AppleHDA.kext, IOAudioFamily.kext, VoodooHDA.kext - for audio; Intel82566MM.kext - for NIC)

+

Wireless (probably kext does not work in 10.5.7)

(iwi4965.kext)

I am booting with my Boot123 iso and swapping it to retail version 10.5.7

And I always get "Still waiting for the root device in the end".

this is my /Extra/Extensions folder (current chameleon bootloader RC)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f1b37b5...be6ba49b5870170

put the kexts in your boot132(initrd) ...

did you set your hdd-controller to AHCI?

@stevns ... ok. last night i spent a lot of time for the wlan-pcie...

the problem for the second pcie-slot:

- you only can turn it on by software under windows with an installed WWAN(umts,3G,gprs...)-Card through the HP-Utility Wireless-Assistant

- If you have such a card windows doesn't recognize a new hardware until you switch WWAN-On through the tool> then you get the new hardware found dialoge... no way without the tool under win to detect the card.

- i installed the tool under winXP and put a broadcom4311(from a compaq...)to the second pcie-slot but there is no option to turn it on under windows...

- i tried to cover the pin-20 on the card with a tape to put the card in an always on mode... not recognized under xp/ubuntu/leopard

next thing is: i think i will try to patch the rom of the card with the ven-ID of my current intel card...

@Mianos:

Getting sick and tired of HP (Sorry workplace), I have bought the following device for the Vlan slot:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=350219657401

I'm waiting to receive it, and will post my findings.

What about this pin 20 business? Covering should put the card in "always on" mode, but "breaks" the install instead?

Cheers

Stevns

@Mianos:

Getting sick and tired of HP (Sorry workplace), I have bought the following device for the Vlan slot:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=350219657401

I'm waiting to receive it, and will post my findings.

What about this pin 20 business? Covering should put the card in "always on" mode, but "breaks" the install instead?

Cheers

Stevns

ok... the pin 20 trick is a workaround when the wifi-switch/keys on notebooks doesn't work! it works on my other compaq but i cannot get any other card than a wwan in the second mini-pcie-slot recognized!

ok, i tried to flash my ssb.sprom of the broadcom card with SubDevice-VendorID of HP which is 0x103c

- for this i got another compaq (8510p) and this boots without the 104-unsupported-wireless-device-error...

- the tut for can be found here: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/..._the_full_story

- i did this and this was the mistake: the elitebook doesn't check for 0x103c

i think it probes for the SubVendor AND the SubDevice IDs.... here are the one of the intel 5300 built in to the elitebook 8530w:

root@Elitebook:~# hwinfo --netcard
15: PCI 300.0: 0282 WLAN controller							 
 [Created at pci.314]
 UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_4236
 Unique ID: y9sn.TloRpKQmzU3
 Parent ID: qTvu.8Makl3iDVc3
 SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:03:00.0
 SysFS BusID: 0000:03:00.0
 Hardware Class: network
 Model: "Intel WLAN controller"
 Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
 Device: pci 0x4236 
 SubVendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
 SubDevice: pci 0x1011 
 Driver: "iwlagn"
 Driver Modules: "iwlagn"
 Device File: wlan0
 Features: WLAN
 Memory Range: 0x9b100000-0x9b101fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
 IRQ: 2296 (666 events)
 HW Address: 00:16:ea:8f:3f:ee
 Link detected: no
 WLAN channels: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 36 40 44 48 149 153 157 161 165
 WLAN frequencies: 2.412 2.417 2.422 2.427 2.432 2.437 2.442 2.447 2.452 2.457 2.462 2.467 2.472 5.18 5.2 5.22 5.24 5.745 5.765 5.785 5.805 5.825
 WLAN encryption modes: WEP40 WEP104 TKIP CCMP
 WLAN authentication modes: open sharedkey wpa-psk wpa-eap
 Module Alias: "pci:v00008086d00004236sv00008086sd00001011bc02sc80i00"
 Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: iwlagn is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe iwlagn"
 Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
 Attached to: #27 (PCI bridge)

well, now the situation is that none of my two notebooks here at work will boot with the broadcom anymore ;):)

cause i (idiot) flashed the hp-id. but it cannot be the hp, cause by now it has the HP-ID and it doesn't boot in the compaq too....

the trick with putting the card in after bios-post doesn't work on any of our notebooks. its not detected by OS on any hp notebook if you put it in after BIOS-post... well now i have to get a notebook without this Check in BIOS and flash the exact same IDs of the built in by manufacture card ({censored} HP)

any progress on the BIOS-mod side?