partitioned my hd by mistake , los my life... please help

aberracus

14 posts in this topic

hi, i was trying to get rid of my windows xp partition so i started my computer a MACINTEL with the osx 10.4.4 install disk and then after a lot of time i went to disk utilities and deleted windows xp partition and created a new one, but ther wasnt a button to press to proceed so i presed partition button, and the computer alerted me the 2 volumes will be destroyed, and i pressed continue by mistake, so now i have lost ALLL MY LIFE, my familiy pictures , my works, my downloads. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have left the computer as is. dont want to install anything or do anything. in hope the osx partition could be restored...

please its all my life, i need help!!!!

Thanks fellows

Aberracus

hi, i was trying to get rid of my windows xp partition so i started my computer a MACINTEL with the osx 10.4.4 install disk and then after a lot of time i went to disk utilities and deleted windows xp partition and created a new one, but ther wasnt a button to press to proceed so i presed partition button, and the computer alerted me the 2 volumes will be destroyed, and i pressed continue by mistake, so now i have lost ALLL MY LIFE, my familiy pictures , my works, my downloads. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have left the computer as is. dont want to install anything or do anything. in hope the osx partition could be restored...

please its all my life, i need help!!!!

Thanks fellows

Aberracus

you can get a professional data recoverer to recover the data for you at a cost.

1. Don't do anything that is write to your original harddisk

2. Prepare another harddisk to save data that is read from the original harddisk.

3. You may try Data Rescue PC:

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_re...4da255e60217138

I have use this before and it works great (it's quite expensive, other similar software may work)

Just remember not to write anything to your original harddisk to make things worse.

Good luck!

OK I just went through this myself:

Here is what I did.

1 run active partition recovery from the hirens boot cd (thanks to MrBond for that tip)

this finds any windows (fat32/ntfs) partitions on the disk.

2 boot knoppix & run fdisk as root (su - first). Using the partition(s) it found a s a guide, write down the start & end sectors of the partitions & then delete the partitions & recreate the partition table using that data as a guide.. the spaces between the windows partitions is where your hfs+ prtitions were.. It helps if you remember how the layout was.

If, for instance, it happened to be that you only had 2 partitions on your disk, & windows was first, all you need to do is add a second partition after the one that Active partition recovery found, make it AF & active & there you go..

Most of all, dont panic.. If you want to be ultra-careful, get another identical harddrive & DD the first to the second, then work on the copy.. it all depends how much time & expense you feel your precious data is worth..

im panicked!

ok thiws this was my configuration:

320GB HD before formating

1st partition htfs MAC OSX 10.4.6 178 gb

2nd partition Windowx XP Pro 119 gb

after my absurd mistake

1st partition HTFS (mac osx) 178 gb

2nd partition htfs 84 gb

3erd partition unpartitioned (the rest of the disk)

i plan to use data rescue II UB MAc version and another hd to try rescuing my data....

any help is appreciated..

Hagar can you explainme more about your idea?

thanks all

Aberracus

no offence aberracus but why are you trying to do more difficult stuff than you can handle in the first place.

let this be a good lesson and backup everything on a dvd or so first!!!

I recently lost some email due to the same cause, but in my case I had a very recent backup so I could just set that backup back.

Also, this is a forum about pc's, why don't you post it in the mac one since you have macintel hard/software?

HEY! I just did something similar the other day! Infact, I repartioned, and reformatted the drive, then wrote about 2GB of data to teh 160GB partition. After that i was like f*** oops.

Get a program called R-Studio. It works

It recovered every single piece of informatino that I had not written over with that 2GB. I am assuming that it goes bit by bit across the drive and pieces the files together. It saved my ass, and sounds like it will save yous. The program its self is easy to use, and if you look around the usual places you should be able to find a copy.

HEY! I just did something similar the other day! Infact, I repartioned, and reformatted the drive, then wrote about 2GB of data to teh 160GB partition. After that i was like f*** oops.

Get a program called R-Studio. It works

It recovered every single piece of informatino that I had not written over with that 2GB. I am assuming that it goes bit by bit across the drive and pieces the files together. It saved my ass, and sounds like it will save yous. The program its self is easy to use, and if you look around the usual places you should be able to find a copy.

I was just about to recommend R-Studio...

Whatever you do- Do not write to or format the hard drive you want to recover again... if you have a spare hard drive, install windows then R-Studio on the spare and NOT on the hard drive to be recovered.

The only time I lost data that couldn't be recovered was when I mistakenly placed the hard drive next to a power transformer... So don't worry- there's hope.

oh guyz thanks!!, your good experiences with R-studio are giving me high hopes.. i will seek it in usual places, and i will burrogh a hard disk to install windows there and r-studio.. btw, if anyone can send it to me... i am in no conditions to use BT i am writting from an internet coffe... my email is aberracus@gmail.com it appears to be an small app anyway.. so if you can please send it..

thanks

PD. i have been reading R-Tools site and... does it support the MAC OS partition?

Theres a program that worked greatly for me. I also made a mistake and lost everything and didn't have backups. I lost movies pictures music files documents and this program got everything back.

Recover My Files is what it is called.

The easiest way would have been to run TestDisk 6.3 to let it search for partitions and rewrite the partition-structure. Directly after the repartition this takes you 30 seconds.

If for any reason you already had other tools messing around on your partition data, testdisk can search for partitions via surface scan if it cant reconstruct PD by BS-Backups.

For the future: Never archive data on HD that you are working on. Buy a cheap 40gb drive for your OS and choose a big, stable one for your life :withstupid:

• 4 months later...