Switch User

6 posts in this topic

Hey. You know the feature when switching users with fast user switch, it does that desktop rotating cube thing? How come this wont work on my 10.4.6? Also, in Dashboard, when you place a new widget on the desktop, it doesnt do that water ripple effect? I just installed a working nVidia driver for my 5200 las night, and it works, so i dunno why it wont work. Any help? Please. Thanx.

I just installed a working nVidia driver for my 5200 las night, and it works, so i dunno why it wont work.

How are you so sure it works if it doesn't work. :D

Unless you meant to say "This driver has worked for others with my card model, but it fails to give me results for some reason." You might need to add a device ID to its plist.

This sub-forum is for "How To" guides where people share any tips and trick they want to share. You might want to move this to the hardware or drivers sub-form.

Unless you meant to say "This driver has worked for others with my card model, but it fails to give me results for some reason." You might need to add a device ID to its plist.

haha, yea. Thats what i ment. The driver has appeared to work, and give me options of more resolutions, and beter color. OS X also reconizes my card as nVidia Geforce 5200 as well. But yes, it appears to not have given me the effects. Adding an device ID...do i have to do that to the kext? how do i know my device ID?

the rotating cube thing as you put it is a QE effect.. QE is not supported on your video card with the current driver.

QE? is there anyway i can get that to work?

Well, I'm not sure offhand whether you're card gets QE Macvidia, but if you haven't already download the latest Macvidia drivers and try them out. You can check to see whether you're getting QE by checking in system profilier. That's basically the key to getting all that wonderful eyecandy. :)

- Bond

Keep in mind that if it isn't the driver, your card might not even support QE or CI at all. For instance, there's a Radeon9700 driver that controls QE and CI for Radeon 9XXX cards, but if you own a Radeon 9200 (which doesn't support QE or CI), then it has basically no effect. if you have a Radeon 9550 - 9800, then the driver will make use of the card's abilities.

But that's only an example using ATi. It could apply to your nVidia card too. You can't use a driver to make use of a feature that isn't supported by the card itself basically.