workaround for TPMACPI.kext

HBP

9 posts in this topic

I'm not a programmer but I'm more then willing to beta test almost anything. has anyone tried to just use the ACPI.kext you can Build From say darwin 8.1 or 8.2 to replace the TpmACPI.kext? I know there is a delete this kext thing, But wouldn't the system run better if you have an ACPI complyant system if you used it? going to look around on how to compile a kext and see if it works.

would this help with stability?

I'm not a programmer but I'm more then willing to beta test almost anything.  has anyone tried to just use the ACPI.kext you can Build From say darwin 8.1 or 8.2 to replace the TpmACPI.kext?  I know there is a delete this kext thing, But wouldn't the system run better if you have an ACPI complyant system if you used it?  going to look around on how to compile a kext and see if it works.

would this help with stability?

I just deleted the KEXT, mine works fine with no special boot args.

The people who could actually use ACPI are laptop users.

Machine Name: Mac

Machine Model: ACPI

CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 2.55 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SSE3

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 283 MHz

Boot ROM Version: ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1011 (Phoenix Technologies, LTD)

It isn't even part of darwin. It is something added just to 10.4.1 to try to lock down the developer systems (I'm pretty sure anyway). The other ACPI files are the ones that actually do something useful. hehe

Hmm.. I was wondering where my battery status icon had gone in my OSX..

I applied Maxxus's 0.4 SSE3 to SSE2 patch on my Acer TravelMate 3202XCi laptop and it worked fine (deleted PCCard and ATI Kexts to boot properly). I also deleted the TPMACPI.kext file to prevent my CPU time being eaten up..

Now I know why the battery status icon would not appear on my dd'ed deadmoo vmware image..

It would be quite nice if someone can found a way to enable ACPI without TPM.. B)

i'm guessing that the people that have been deleting the ati kexts have nvidia cards, right? i have an ati card, but im still tempted to do it. If i move them out of the extensions folder and it messes up osx can i just boot in safe mode, put them back, and everything will be fine again?

• 2 weeks later...
i'm guessing that the people that have been deleting the ati kexts have nvidia cards, right? i have an ati card, but im still tempted to do it. If i move them out of the extensions folder and it messes up osx can i just boot in safe mode, put them back, and everything will be fine again?
I was wondering the same for my Geforce 6600 system in relation to the Nvidia .kext stuff.

Those stuff just don't work, darwin notifies of loading fails in verbose mode (-v). Native I'm stuck to 1024x768@60Hz (ouch my eyes on my current CRT), although I sure is a VESA 3.0 card and Darwin even recognises it a such.

So, Question is: all .kext files related to Ati & Nvidia out of extensions foleder; good idea, or not?