Cannot correct Model Identifier = MacPro3,1

Pyrofallout

27 posts in this topic

I have tried all the available AppleSMBIOS replacements that I have found including AppleSMBIOSEFI and AnV's AppleSMBIOS but I cannot get my Model Identifier to show up as MacPro3,1. No matter what I try it still shows up as "HP Compaq dc7800p Convertible Minitower".

I am running a boot-132 retail install and Chamelon EFI.

Not sure if it matters but I have been trying the new SMBIOS kexts in the /Extras/ folder, not in the /System/Library/Extensions folder. But I am under the assumption that the Extras folder is the correct location to get it to load with the EFI. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I have tried all the available AppleSMBIOS replacements that I have found including AppleSMBIOSEFI and AnV's AppleSMBIOS but I cannot get my Model Identifier to show up as MacPro3,1. No matter what I try it still shows up as "HP Compaq dc7800p Convertible Minitower".

I am running a boot-132 retail install and Chamelon EFI.

Not sure if it matters but I have been trying the new SMBIOS kexts in the /Extras/ folder, not in the /System/Library/Extensions folder. But I am under the assumption that the Extras folder is the correct location to get it to load with the EFI. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

You are using the Vanilla 9.6.0 kernel I guess. You need to use another kernel. Search for it! (for instance here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...930&st=180)

Kulos

You are using the Vanilla 9.6.0 kernel I guess. You need to use another kernel. Search for it! (for instance here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...930&st=180)

Kulos

I have seen Andy's version but I do not want to run OS X on a modified Kernal since I do not have to. Is there a way to fix this without running a modified kernal? I think I would prefer to stick with the retail kernal and have a incorrect model identifier then to be the other way around. Is there no fix for this for users with vanilla kernal?

As long as you modify the right parameters AppleSMBIOSEFI should do the trick, but it won't work from the Extra/Extensions folder unless you place the original AppleSMBIOS in there with it.

Ignore the above!

You'll want to upgrade to Chameleon 2.0. The installer can install it on your EFI partition if you want it to.

Then delete any smbios enabler/injector type thing you're using, and put back an original AppleSMBIOS.kext if it's not there already.

Then create a smbios.plist and place it in the extra folder:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc. or Apple Computer, Inc. depending on mac model</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>boot.rom.string.goes.here</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>mac,model goes here</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>serial.goes.here.doh</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>for Mac Pros put 'MacPro', for iMacs just put 'Mac'</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Apple.motherboard.model.goes.here</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>Your CPU FSB in MHz, non-multiplied</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>Your CPU max speed in MHz</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>put 24 for DDR3 RAM, 19 for DDR2 RAM or 18 for DDR RAM</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>Memory speed in MHz</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
<string>For example Kingston Technology</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>
<string>Or OCZ or whatever you have</string>
<key>SMmempart_1</string>
<string>manufacturer part number</key>
<key>SMmempart_3</string>
<string>as listed in datasheet or find it with CPU-Z under Windows</key>
<key>SMmemserial_1</string>
<string>Again use CPU-Z...</key>
<key>SMmemserial_3</string>
<string>...under Windows to find your serial numbers</key>
</dict>
</plist>

Boot ROM, serial, mac model and motherboard model can be found by google search.

Some keys are not strictly necessary, such as the memory brand and serials stuff.

I'll update the plist with other settings as I find them..if there are more..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This has nothing to do with me, it's built into Chameleon 2.0 and contrary to what was said earlier in this thread you can use it with any kernel that works on your system.

Make sure you have an original and unmodified AppleSMBIOS.kext in S/L/E and that there's no other SMBIOS injector installed.

How can I check that I don't have an injector and a vanilla smbios.kext???

If I have a modified kext, where do I get the vanilla one?

Also, where I can find the model list??

I've updated from iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) with vanilla kernel and only lost sound (which I've reinstalled and works fine) but the Sys Profiler doesn't show any info now (says it found an error).

My specs:

Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.06GHz (overclocked a little bit from 3GHz)

MoBo Foxconn G31MV-K (Intel G31 chipset with ICH7 SouthBridge) with ALC662 sound.

4GB DDR2 667MHz RAM

512MB eVGA 8800GT Superclocked video card.

80GB Hard drive for OSX and 320GB Hard Drive for Vista/Data

I'd really appreciate any help, please.

Cheers!

BUMP!!!

I've reinstalled the vanilla SMBIOS kext from 10.5.7 package and deleted the smbios.resolver and I got kernel Panic!!!

The only way to make it work is to use the smbios resolver and also the smbios.plist together. It's working fine now but I have to keep the resolver to get the installation working. The good thing is that I can customize the SMBIOS resolver with my configuration.

Sorry for my English.

EDIT: I've attached the result.

my_desktop.tiff

EDIT AGAIN: I can't use Parallels Desktop 4 anymore!!! It says that my CPU doesn't support Virtualization and obviously it does. What can I do?? Please Help!!! :):(:blink: :blink:

Cheers!

EDIT AGAIN: I can't use Parallels Desktop 4 anymore!!! It says that my CPU doesn't support Virtualization and obviously it does. What can I do?? Please Help!!! ;):shock::blink::blink:

Cheers!

You should enable VM in your Bios. if it is disabled you can't use Paralles....

Good luck!rolleyes.gif

You should enable VM in your Bios. if it is disabled you can't use Paralles....

Good luck!rolleyes.gif

It was enabled. I had to disable it, save and enable it again. It was something wrong with the BIOS. Now it's working. Thanks.

You have some other hack installed somewhere that places "SOMESRLNMBER" there.

Check your com.Apple.boot.plist.

Type SOMESRLNMBER into google or the search box here to track down where it comes from.

You have some other hack installed somewhere that places "SOMESRLNMBER" there.

Check your com.Apple.boot.plist.

Type SOMESRLNMBER into google or the search box here to track down where it comes from.

I think that’s just the default one if osx cant decide on one

what i want to know is why my comp gets picked up as macpro 2,1 when i put 3,1 info, and why the ram info isnt applied either

I think that’s just the default one if osx cant decide on one

No, it doesn't work like that. It's not up to the OS, it's a hardware serial number. Do you think that the serial number on a real mac changes every time you install OSX on it? Besides SOMESRLNMBR doesn't seem very "Apple", does it :thumbsup_anim:

Sorry about that, I'm wrong. SOMESRLNMBR indeed appears on a vanilla install if there's no serial injected via smbios.plist.

what i want to know is why my comp gets picked up as macpro 2,1 when i put 3,1 info, and why the ram info isnt applied either

Because you still have something left over from another SMBIOS injector, or somewhere else in the system, that puts that info there.

Are you absolutely sure that you don't have "SMBIOSEnabler.kext" loading from somewhere? Check the extensions folder for anything with SMBIOS in its name.

No, it doesn't work like that. It's not up to the OS, it's a hardware serial number. Do you think that the serial number on a real mac changes every time you install OSX on it? Besides SOMESRLNMBR doesn't seem very "Apple", does it ;)

Because you still have something left over from another SMBIOS injector, or somewhere else in the system, that puts that info there.

Are you absolutely sure that you don't have "SMBIOSEnabler.kext" loading from somewhere?

I found that the key and string is reversed on the memory info in this guys smbios.plist

For my system using a Q6600 running at 380 FSB (3.42GHZ CPU) i use the following as my smbios.plist located in my Extras folder.

Memory is shown with correct brand, part number, speed and serial number.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.080209154<</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro3,1</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>G87421B908S</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>macpro</string>

<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F4208DC8</string>

<key>SMexternalclock</key>

<string>380</string>

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>3420</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>19</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>760</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>

<string>Walton Chaintech</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_4</key>

<key>SMmempart_1</key>

<string>NU2G082-800P500</string>

<key>SMmempart_2</key>

<key>SMmempart_3</key>

<key>SMmempart_4</key>

<key>SMmemserial_1</key>

<string>D8042323</string>

<key>SMmemserial_2</key>

<string>E59C2222</string>

<key>SMmemserial_3</key>

<string>1A052322</string>

<key>SMmemserial_4</key>

<string>37052324</string>

</dict>

</plist>

• 4 weeks later...

Advice please...

I'm currently using Chameleon 2.0RC1, stock 10.5.7 AppleSMBIOS, and AppleSMBIOSEFI. My plist is clean. Given that IORegistryExplorer reports my mac model as MacPro3,1 and System Profiler reports it as IMac8,1 (see attached graphics). Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks,

SMF

post-106904-1244736414_thumb.jpg

post-106904-1244736435_thumb.jpg

Advice please...

I'm currently using Chameleon 2.0RC1, stock 10.5.7 AppleSMBIOS, and AppleSMBIOSEFI. My plist is clean. Given that IORegistryExplorer reports my mac model as MacPro3,1 and System Profiler reports it as IMac8,1 (see attached graphics). Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks,

SMF

Don't keep both AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext.You only need to have one i.e - AppleSMBIOS.kext

Delete the AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext and create smbios.plist in /Extra

If you're running 10.5.7 it should be in your extensions folder.

You can also extract it from a 10.5.7 Apple update using Pacifist (google it).

Hi Beerkex'd do you know the complete set of keys(all) that can be used with smbios.plist ?

I don't.

I guess we'll have to wait for official documentation.

All the flags that I know of are included in my initial post.

I'm still updating the post from time to time whenever I discover something new.

I don't.

I guess we'll have to wait for official documentation.

All the flags that I know of are included in my initial post.

Thanks anyways.Yeah,i read your post and implemented the same with my pc details and it works like a charm.

eagerly waiting for the final release...