PCLinuxOS is GREAT!

Alessandro17

38 posts in this topic

• 9 months later...

Eventually Grub 2 has been made available, but only in principle. For some crazy reason it is not on the DVD, it must be downloaded!!! As if Grub were non free software, or as if they said: "do it at your own risk".

Trouble is, for the life of me I can't configure any internet connection on my PC, neither ethernet nor Wi-Fi (I use a D-link DWA-125). This while Mint automagically configures everything.

So I still have no use for PCLinuxOS, sorry.

• 2 months later...

Alessandro17, have You try KaOS 2014-12 ?  It have modern qt and kde, it is

all 64 -bit, and it is full rolling.  I feel it myself quite satisfying, mostly because

it have translated Calligra Suite wholeness with it and they have even translated

closed (=working) nvidia driver already in kernel.  You need only something like

kMail and digiKam with it, and You have full working system.

2014-12 version is much more ready, than any 2015 qt5 and kde plasma version.

Of course KaOS is not Yosemite, but this is acceptable escape route, if Apple

replace intel with arm processor.  (I have bad sense of that)

T  -.-

KaOS should have grub 2 somewhere in their distribution tree.

Ubuntu is good, but the only thing that is disruptive is the Unity interface.

Perhaps with the new Mir interface that can improve...

I fully agreed that Unity is disruptive , and counter-intuitive

And no, i don't think that will change when Mir arrive

The main problem with recent ubuntu development is they try to reinvent the wheel and doing a poor job at it ( upstart, unity, Mir, etc) thus isolating them from the rest of the linux community ( making bug fixing, patches, etc a lot harder)

@alessandro17

Without any disrespect to ubuntu developers, i think linux mint maintainers did good job in making ubuntu a lot more stable.

After all, i got a lot more breakages in ubuntu than debian sid

Just my opinion and personal experience though

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@alessandro17

Without any disrespect to ubuntu developers, i think linux mint maintainers did good job in making ubuntu a lot more stable.

After all, i got a lot more breakages in ubuntu than debian sid

Just my opinion and personal experience though

We were told that Ubuntu was based on a Debian Sid snapshot (at least in the past, now it is unclear). That is a stupid thing to do. Debian Sid is, by definition, unstable.

• Like 1

^ e-{censored}in-zactly (excuse the language, can't help it :D) .

I still remember those good ol' days when Ubuntu was still at its infancy ( hence still great ). Suffice to say, i will never put my faith in Canonical for my production box anymore.

anyway, enough about *buntu. Back to pclinuxos, i like their semi rolling-rolling release cycle. I like their non-pretentious way of not claiming their distro to be stable (hence, users will be prepared). I also like their commitment towards package signing and security which is a lot better than another distro where all the 'kool kids' like to use ( cough... Arch ...cough)