WORKING Solution for Marvell Yukon 2 88E8040 Fast Ethernet!

adamsalac

158 posts in this topic

@talisman: Sleep works??? In my case sleep doesn't work.Goes to sleep but if I open the lid, it automatically restarts.

Probably a conflict because of other beta kernel extensions.

Adam

Hi Adam.... thanks again for your work.... I have everything vanilla, even if I started with Iatkos. And for sleep I have the Voodoo and clamshell and the edit to the AppleUSBEHCI that Superhai suggested.... I don't know why, but I seem to be the only one for whom sleep works....

Also, I have edited the Info.plist in AppleYukon2 to contain the values for 88E8040 and 88E8040T.... You will find it here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=47796

Not exactly, sleep works here too, just the ethernet support is gone after wake-up. (Which i find very strange).

yes that's precisely what I meant, it seems that sleep and ethernet both function consistently and without errors on my tin-can....

yes that's precisely what I meant, it seems that sleep and ethernet both function consistently and without errors on my tin-can....

Nope, everythings working here too, also M1530, all Vanilla via wingrunr21's guide. Only "problem" is that my notebook does not find the router at school via ethernet (assinging the IP and router manually works), but via Airport it does, and at home it does with both. I'm not sure whether this is related to the driver or not, but maybe some one has similar problems.

But anyway: thanks for the driver and the hint to assing the real MAC-Address :P

@wolfer: Probably you've got the 88E8040T (this device id is the old modified kext but not in the new vanilla one).Does you MAC address appear correctly? Try to copy the old Info.plist into the 9J34 kext

I'll upload the new 9J39 kexts as soon as I've got them....

Adam

@adamsalac: Yeah, finally had time to mess around. . . Got the device ID in there (in 9J39) and installed. Same hard-coded MAC address. Fix it by hex-editing the NICs "real" MAC address into the driver binary. This allows me to have multiple Marvell-Yukon Dells on the same network without issue. And, since laptop NICs aren't taken out and replaced that often, hard-coding the MAC is an adequate enough solution for now -- I don't need the driver to query for the MAC. Again, it's not like the NIC is going to change physically.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

@Wolfer:

You're right,but simply...I am a perfectionist,I love it as vanilla as possible and I love it when things are working OOTB.

Regards,

Adam

P.S.: I'll upload the 9J50 kext soon, maybe some progress.

It worked for me on 10.5.5 iDeneb

I used following to install the file in the first post.

OSx86 tools Utility -> install Kexts

Thanks all for healping

My conf:

Inspiron 1525, intel core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz

3GB RAM

Intel Graphics 965

@adamsalac:

Thank you for providing the AppleYukon2 version 3.1.11b9

I downloaded your AppleYukon2new.zip and installed it on my P5K-Deluxe (BIOS.1005) with the latest iPC 10.5.6 using vanilla kernel and it's working great.

The only thing I had to do was to modify 8053 to 8056 and also removed everything else inside /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

For some reason it conflicts with the other AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext I had in there. When it boots it only loads the RTL8169 as en0 and en3 (Yukon Marvell 8086) only loads in -f safe mode.

Attached is the working kext file in .tar.gz format (tar xzvf to decompress).

AppleYukon2_8056.tar.gz

Hope it'll help anyone who wants to use the Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit NIC since for some reason I can't get the other onboard NIC RTL8187 to initiate in 1000baseT mode, at least in a stable manner.

cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am running a iPC osX86 10.5.6 on a Dell XPS1530, and I cannot manage to have a working ethernet ...

I tried to AppleYukon2new.kext from the first post, but it did not work for me ...

Here is what I did:

1. copy AppleYukon2new.kext to /System/library/Extensions

2. sudo chmod -R 755 /System/library/Extensions/AppleYukon2new.kext

3. sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/library/Extensions/AppleYukon2new.kext

4. sudo rm -R /System/library/Extensions.mkext

5. reboot

I have an ethernet in my network settings, but it says that the cable is unplugged ...

From linux, I get my vendor and devices IDs:

1. lspci -nn | grep Marvell

It outputs :

09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller [11ab:4354] (rev 12)

So, info.plist looks like this (did not changed anything)

<key>Yukon-88E8040</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2</string>

<key>EnableLowPwr</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>yukon2osx</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x435411ab</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>MACNumber</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Model</key>

<string>Yukon Fast Adapter 88E8040 Singleport Copper</string>

<key>NetworkNumber</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>RxRingSize</key>

<integer>256</integer>

<key>TxRingSize</key>

<integer>256</integer>

<key>Vendor</key>

<string>Marvell</string>

</dict>

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong ??

Regards,

Olivier

Hi all,

I am running a iPC osX86 10.5.6 on a Dell XPS1530, and I cannot manage to have a working ethernet ...

I tried to AppleYukon2new.kext from the first post, but it did not work for me ...

Finally, with this command, it worked !

sudo kextload xxxxxx.kext

Great !!!

Thanks !!!

• 3 weeks later...

hi all

im running OSx86 10.5.6 on a Dell Inspiron 1545, trying to get my marvell 80E8048 ethernet working, but the AppleYukon2.kext wont load (extension not loading, nothing in profiler) and gives me errors in verbose mode:

RomlessInit - getProperty failed

and

Failed to allocate MSI interrupt

my DeviceID is 435A and VendorID is 11AB. Have tried editing this into Info.plist and have tried many combinations of AppleYukon2.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext as suggested throughout this entire thread - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155935

I suppose I could try upgrading to 10.5.7, but I'm loathed to do that since everything is stable right now except ethernet.

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Andy

Hi sealkid,

the "RomlessInit - getProperty failed" error is normal,as the drivers aren't written for our Ethernet ports,they're for the Gigabit Ethernet ports in the Nehalem XServes (we've got Fast Ethernet) and the driver can't read the information from the ROM ---> generic MAC address

But I don't exactly know what the other thing means (Failed to allocate MSI interrupt)...

This is the fatal error...

Try updating to Leopard 10.5.7,it might solve your problem

Adam

Try updating to Leopard 10.5.7,it might solve your problem

Adam

Thanks for your quick response! Which update method do you suggest I perform? I'm downloading the MacOSXUpd10.5.7.dmg from apple.com... correct? I'll post back with results