Asus X83VB-X1 N80 Series

sha_doh

31 posts in this topic

post-157287-1232667566_thumb.jpg post-157287-1232537014_thumb.png

Thanks to AzureBlack and all his help i am installing IDeneb v1.3 on my new Laptop. This laptop is in the N80 Line so if you have Leopard working on one please submit your success or failures here as well

For all those who haven't seen these laptops at Best Buy GREAT DEAL! 650$

Details

Price $649

Processor 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5800

Memory 4,096MB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz

Hard drive 250GB, 5,400rpm

Chipset Intel GM45 Express

Graphics 512MB Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS

OS Windows Vista Premium 64-bit

First off I will post Some details from AzureBlack shared with me for the initial stable install.

UPDATE Thanks Completing

Follow this link

http://www.osxcores.site50.net/page5/page8/page8.html

Download

N80Vb as207 ASUS

Download that file from the link above and flash your bios with the file.

Then you won't need to patch cpu=1 or graphis. everything will work right away.

Ideneb 1.4 with ACPI fix, ACH9 chipset, and NVDarwin

Both cores work, HDMI output work without any other patches.

This will make it easier for you.

All we need now is sound patch....

This Following Method is tested and working either route will get you up and running!

Ideneb (1.3 in my case) with acpi fix, ach9 chipset, and cpus =1

after install, boot into safe mode, install aquamac's 9xxx seriues kexts, and latest version of NVDarwin

DO NOT USE VOODOO KERNEL too many KP(kernel panics) looking into more stable kernel...vanilla is an option stay tuned

Now to get 2CPUs working what youll need to do is install EFIv9_And_Chameleon.zip

and use this file at /ROOT dsdt.aml.zip This will enable both cores!!

Im sure you can all find Aquamacs' and NVDarwin, so far whats working, Nvidia card 100% Ethernet OOB, sleep hangs on wake but sleeps none the less.loI

ALC663 Audio Now working!

The ALC663 card in this laptop is now FUNCTIONING thanks to the Voodoo project in the ALC problem solving thread!

Sha-doh,

Thanks for posting this information. I have an Asus X83B-X1 myself, and it's a great machine; and incredibly powerful for its price. I wasn't sure how to go about installing iDeneb.

-Macxor

Ive found out how to get sound woring but at the moment im working on my Dual boot issue so until i get it working

!! im going to just post a link here shortly for the files and anyone who gets it working let me know ill update my post thanks!by the way im also taking out voodoo kernel and testing another stay tuned...

i myself just bought this laptop yesterday afternoon as an open box item in bestbuy...it is such a sweet machine with tax after purchase it came out to be $633 and some change which was really awesome... i have a question does the wifi and the webcam work???? and could you please post how to install sound....ive done hackinotsh installs b4 but im like a surgeon...need the "O.R." equipped with all drivers and such lol...thank you so much in advance

webcam was oob for me as far as sound and wireless im afraid the wireless will not be working anytime soon...i am looking into a bcm4312 card to replace the intel wireless 5100 that has NO suppport whatsoever. as far as the sound its alc663 and again its a work in progress i am attmepting to get it to work jsut the stereo or even through headphone alone.. search both intel 5100 and alc663 here and youll fine me ranting about how it doesent work im sure lol

i found on ebay a proper wifi replacement card for only 16$ and there are usb speakers that may work....or a usb sound card for 20$ ive seen not sure if theyll work yet.. keep my fingers crossed keep checking here periodically

thanks

webcam was oob for me as far as sound and wireless im afraid the wireless will not be working anytime soon...i am looking into a bcm4312 card to replace the intel wireless 5100 that has NO suppport whatsoever. as far as the sound its alc663 and again its a work in progress i am attmepting to get it to work jsut the stereo or even through headphone alone.. search both intel 5100 and alc663 here and youll fine me ranting about how it doesent work im sure lol

i found on ebay a proper wifi replacement card for only 16$ and there are usb speakers that may work....or a usb sound card for 20$ ive seen not sure if theyll work yet.. keep my fingers crossed keep checking here periodically

thanks

yeah man the 663 is a work in progress that requires a warm start booting to vista first then OSX, works with headphones and speakers out at the same time.

However its an azialla mod, and the only progress made on this damn card.

the 5100 is no good as you know we all who have this type of ASUS laptop bought the gigabyte wifi card with a/b/g/n and works perfect for both OS's.

- Dan

from the http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=144423 forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on getting 95% system now, on the X2 (NON-ugly version of the X1, blue rather than gold) after coming from a Toshiba that had no hope of working QE/CI or even resolutions above 1024x768... I now have a computer that is twice as powerful for the same price. :)

But.. I'm going to have to carry around a USB sound card with me until the ALC268 works.

I'm working on getting the kexts organized so I can boot the system with no flags. I had one install working, but I had strange instances where my keyboard and touchpad would just quit. I also have times where USB just craps out for no reason. I formatted (Because Macdrive would not see my Mac partition anymore) and re-installed, and here I am back in OS X. This is the first working reboot in safe mode, and I've installed NVDarwin and Chameleon. I only have Kalyway 10.5.2 slipstreamed to get around the APCI issues with this laptop, so I have to update to 10.5.5 before applying the NVidia graphics update.

So far though, everything works great. I'm going to steal my wife's Atheros wifi card and give her my Wifi-Link, Centrino be damned!

Any more updates on audio progress? Something about rebooting with XP/Vista and warm booting so the card is running? Fun.

Had a weird graphics issue before where the text on menus and popdown screens would not render until I cancelled them, then I'd see the text for a split-second before the menu/popdown disappeared. We'll see if that happens on next restart.

Wish me luck! If anyone has any insight into the Asus X2 let's hear it!

OK... updates.

Erased the Mac HD and reinstalled with older ACPI kexts and got stuck at the "4096 IO Buffer Headers" ... this was solved by deleting the "AppleSMC.kext". The file listed in the OP helped IMMENSELY so I didn't have to hunt for them or an older disk that I don't have readily available.

Problem is, I have no keyboard/mouse now. I have to use USB keyboard and mouse. I'm investigating this problem but it is highly frustrating. Lots of kext weirdness here too. I had to install the Aquamacs patch to get the niggling blank menu issue to resolve... there was no text on menus or popdown boxes until I installed this patch. Google helped with this, as I was able to search for older threads related to the various problems I was having. It's actually kind of funny- the very idea of making OS X work on Wintel boxes inspires people so much that typing in the most innocuous sounding word combination results in top-level InsanelyMac threads. Sometimes they are no longer on the board itself but they are always cached.

Working:

Video (full QE/CI) - had to install NVDarwin and then the Aquamacs patch to get rid of the blank menu problem.

Sound ONLY THROUGH USB - the stock ALC668 functions as if it's 100% but I get no sound from speakers or headphones. I personally use a Sound Blaster MP3+ - plug-and-play. I have to change the output in Sound prefs but after that I have full I/O.

Builtin NIC - internet sharing works fine.

USB I/O - hard drives show up 100% USB or otherwise.

Working on the rest. This is a great laptop, and I'm glad I found one with a dedicated GFX card.

Thanks to the OP for detailing his exploits. Helped me out quite a bit.

Totally baffled. Installed the extensions from the Kalyway patched ACPI disc, still no keyboard or mouse. Installed ten million different PS2 kexts all with L7 Kext Helper, no dice. If anyone's had this sort of problem, please shoot me a msg or reply here, thank you.

Gave up on Kalyway - installed iDeneb like the OP and through a long trial and error process (in which I removed and installed more NV kexts than I can count) got the machine to boot, give me 1280x800, and QE/CI. I backed up my Extensions folder just in case I forget and install the wrong thing. :lol:

Now to get audio working and swap wireless cards with my wife's new laptop, I think her's is an Atheros that might just work.

This really is a nice laptop, not quite as polished and nice as my HP was but faster. I am really glad I got it and took back the Toshiba I had bought before this ASUS came out at BB a week later. :lol:

blue are you serious damn this gold thing is rather ugly but all in all its a great machine! Glad to hear you gave up on the kalyway.. ideneb was the only one i got to work 90% sound for me really isnt a big deal but i will wait patiently until a kext is developed but for now it will remain on my second partition when i need it......

you simply mus see the Lenovo S10 rock the leopard install 99% working cept the pci express slot...but dont need it anyways....

glad i could help but id rather wait till the sound kext works than to have a damn dongle in the way all the time.. BTW has anyone seen the bluetooth module for this machine cant find it anywhere...or if someone has it is willing to sell or trade?

• 2 weeks later...
blue are you serious damn this gold thing is rather ugly but all in all its a great machine! Glad to hear you gave up on the kalyway.. ideneb was the only one i got to work 90% sound for me really isnt a big deal but i will wait patiently until a kext is developed but for now it will remain on my second partition when i need it......

you simply mus see the Lenovo S10 rock the leopard install 99% working cept the pci express slot...but dont need it anyways....

glad i could help but id rather wait till the sound kext works than to have a damn dongle in the way all the time.. BTW has anyone seen the bluetooth module for this machine cant find it anywhere...or if someone has it is willing to sell or trade?

Yeah, I saw the X1 gold version there the week before and REALLY wanted to buy it, and decided that I just couldn't deal with the gold. Then the next week I was there I saw the blue one and I just had to take back the Toshiba I'd settled on. Glad I did.

Of course, now that I posted the success, I've gotten an Atheros wireless card in there and I'm attempting to get it working and my DAMN KEYBOARD AND MOUSE STOPPED WORKING.... AGAIN. Dammit!

I made a backup of my extensions directory and if that doesn't work I'll write the EFI again but damn this is annoying. It worked fine for a week or so, and I wasn't doing anything pertaining to the PS2 interface, just the wireless card drivers. Gah.

Yeah, I saw the X1 gold version there the week before and REALLY wanted to buy it, and decided that I just couldn't deal with the gold. Then the next week I was there I saw the blue one and I just had to take back the Toshiba I'd settled on. Glad I did.

Of course, now that I posted the success, I've gotten an Atheros wireless card in there and I'm attempting to get it working and my DAMN KEYBOARD AND MOUSE STOPPED WORKING.... AGAIN. Dammit!

I made a backup of my extensions directory and if that doesn't work I'll write the EFI again but damn this is annoying. It worked fine for a week or so, and I wasn't doing anything pertaining to the PS2 interface, just the wireless card drivers. Gah.

Ive seen issues about the atheroas wireless cards... so i decided to et a broadcom card and it wrks OOB in airport for only 20$ on ebay!

as far as sound im trying to get it to be output through hdmi because its nvidia...? should work just trying to see who has gotten it to work!

http://www.osxcores.site50.net/page5/page8/page8.html

Download

N80Vb as207 ASUS

Download that file from the link above and flash your bios with the file.

Then you won't need to patch cpu=1 or graphis. everything will work right away.

Ideneb 1.4 with ACPI fix, ACH9 chipset, and NVDarwin

Both cores work, HDMI output work without any other patches.

This will make it easier for you.

All we need now is sound patch....

• 4 weeks later...

well I applied the bios update listed above and then the kalyway 10.5.2 disk worked with no issues everything installed itself. I see an HD audio output, my audio slider works, but still no audio. Usually the slider doesn't work when the audio is still busted, but o well. Also as I figured the intel wireless doesn't work but the ethernet is good 2 go I guess I'll keep searching for the audio fix.

DP

I have the x83vm-x2 btw

well I applied the bios update listed above and then the kalyway 10.5.2 disk worked with no issues everything installed itself. I see an HD audio output, my audio slider works, but still no audio. Usually the slider doesn't work when the audio is still busted, but o well. Also as I figured the intel wireless doesn't work but the ethernet is good 2 go I guess I'll keep searching for the audio fix.

DP

I have the x83vm-x2 btw

Audio is a no-go for now, I have a slider too, but it does not function. I use USB audio for now.

I also have flashed my BIOS but for some reason after flashing I cannot get Quartz Extreme and CoreImage to work properly. I'm going to re-flash and see if that fixes it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm totally lost. I've got resolution switching, but for some reason NVDarwin does not enable QE/CI with that BIOS patch, and even with the stock BIOS it does not work. I've tried writing GFX strings and changing myriad kexts but I still have nothing. Any thoughts on this??

• 1 month later...

Finally got this machine up and running 10.5.7 with ideneb combo update...dont install anything other then just the combo update...you'll be fine reboot...then it will reboot it self again (dont panic!!). the only issue that im having that i really want to work is my vga....hdmi works perfect...but would like vga for my 27 inch monitor

NEED HELP WITH VGA...Please...SOS

Finally got this machine up and running 10.5.7 with ideneb combo update...dont install anything other then just the combo update...you'll be fine reboot...then it will reboot it self again (dont panic!!). the only issue that im having that i really want to work is my vga....hdmi works perfect...but would like vga for my 27 inch monitor

NEED HELP WITH VGA...Please...SOS

strangely i havent had any issues with my vga????? i used the files as listed here.. i would not know if 10.5.7 is different than .6 but i wouldent assume it would cause any undue issues with VGA of all things... you need to elaborate on what your having issues with... vga color output size etc!

• 2 weeks later...

i am a total noob and i feel like an idiot. can someone help me?

i have successfully installed ideneb 1.4 and i am now working on the audio fix and the dual core fix.

trouble is, i have absolutely no idea what i'm doing. i downloaded files from both links mentioned above for the dual core setup (EFIv9/Chameleon bootloader and the dsdt.aml file) but i have no idea how to use these files. from what i am reading i have to use this new dsdt file but i have no idea where to put it or even how to to access this so called bootloader.

as for audio i have been directed to a file, voodoohda.kext, but i also do not know what to do with this file.

i realize these are probably easy things to do but i am just totally lost. can anybody help me out or at least point me in the right direction? thanks!

i am a total noob and i feel like an idiot. can someone help me?

i have successfully installed ideneb 1.4 and i am now working on the audio fix and the dual core fix.

trouble is, i have absolutely no idea what i'm doing. i downloaded files from both links mentioned above for the dual core setup (EFIv9/Chameleon bootloader and the dsdt.aml file) but i have no idea how to use these files. from what i am reading i have to use this new dsdt file but i have no idea where to put it or even how to to access this so called bootloader.

as for audio i have been directed to a file, voodoohda.kext, but i also do not know what to do with this file.

i realize these are probably easy things to do but i am just totally lost. can anybody help me out or at least point me in the right direction? thanks!

kext can be installed thru kexthelper

a software in which u drag drop ur kext enter ur system passowrd(s u have to set one if u haven't)

and then reboot,, all kexts can be installed like that...

• 2 weeks later...

If you read my first post i explained that dsdt needs to be put at the \root of your drive.....

There is no accessing the bootloader just install it as its a pkg.

the biggest thing you could do for yourself is get osxtools it has many of the utilities you need built into the interface.

Secondly you should read the beginners forums here and learn What and Hows before skydiving..it saves us from explaining how to use the software you should be familiar with, as it makes it easier for people like myself to help you actually solve some of your installation woes...

And last when you have issues you cant jsut say 'It doesent work" ... "or how do i?"... without letting us know your configuration what you chose as kernel etc. knowing this will help everyone actually be concerned about your specific issue without worrying about the user related problems that have to be ironed out first.

Sorry i havent been around im learning cocoa and programming for a Mac... now that mac supports OpenCL im designing a Multi-threaded application for mac.. If anyone is interested im looking for some talented cocoa designers to help out could be fun and $$$