S20/S20II laptops (Hasee, Advent, Haier...)

coconup

125 posts in this topic

About the fan, i think i noticed something, when i'm in Leopard, it doesn't run all the time, but in Snow it does! So maybe there's a problem with the gestion of temperature in Snow or something like that? It really runs loudly ALL THE TIME!!!! Otherwise i still didn't find how to get the trackpad drivers, i don't even remember how i did in Leopard to be honnest.. I just tried to install voodoops2trackpad.pkg and it {censored}ed all, now PS2 don't work :)

Hi

I strictly followed the instructions in the bootcd (SL version, the last one) but no luck, I had to install the OS, install chameleon 2 rc3 (with one of the installation packages that I found on the forum) kept the audio kexts and changed the other ones with the new versions.

BIG problem is that something is fu**ng up the bios, it should be related to IRQ or something because when I restart, during the preboot it stucks. The only way to to make it run is to unplug physically the HD, I can enter the bios and load default values, save, restart, shut down, plug in the HD, make the changes in the bios etc.

I've to look in dsdt but I don't really know if it is the one that is causing it, any suggestions ?

Abut the fan, I had a lot of assertions with the kext provided in the boot cd, especially voodoobattery, it looks that it was causing soemthing that needed extra resources from the system, after installing the new version that I found here the fan look less "on" than it was in the past, nothing comparable to Windows 7, there the fan was almost every time off...

I actually sold this laptop and switched to a mbp, however I had sl running pretty well but I had issues with wifi working randomly and fakesmc sometimes not loading causing a kp on boot. I would recommend to stay with leopard until things are more stable on the snow side.

@tormentor: I also experienced that bios resetting problem, I can't remember exactly when it happened and I had to remove the hdd and put it back to make things work again. Upgrading from leopard to snow however was a smooth process and it worked straight away apart from the wifi thing. for what concerns VoodooPS2 you have to install the snow leopard one that needs another kext to work correctly, you can find it on the voodooprojects forum

basically the only difference between installing leopard and snow are the kexts you put in your boot folder, if you are upgrading you have to replace all the kexts you used in leopard with their snow leopard versions. the audio kext (by me) is still good and needs no changes to work as it used to in leopard. good luck :D

Hi coconup, too bad that you don't have the hasee anymore :(

About the dsdt, the problem was that you forgot to apply the "SL hack", that it's almost everywhere, if not the PC has a CMOS reset (not only the hasee but everyone). For the rest, it's working pretty well, but I would try to make a dsdt myself because there is something wrong: I used it on battery and it switched off suddenly at 43%, I don't know what caused it, i can only suppose that it was the CPU temperature protection, infact the fan was not running as usal (costantly on) while I was using a resources consuming flash application... I also switched it on 64 bit mode, no problems, and I updated the kext to the last version, the voodoobattery, new version does not have problems till now.

For the rest, trackpad is working, like you, I suggest to download the most recent voodooPS2 kext and make a fresh install... I had less problems with this laptop, installing SL than on my Desktop PC

I tried to install the coconup driver and got KP.. Great.. I could fix anyway but when i install kext with kext helper b7 it always crash (this program) after kext are installed.. Damn it!!! I found the SL VoodooPS2 Controller, installed it and then no more keyboard or touchpad, nothing!!

Goja, your answer should be "kextutility"

I'm not 100% sure but depending on the method you should create the cache even in the Extra folder, kextutilty does it automatically. i don't know the details, but I found less pain in installing it using coconup disk, then manually install chameleon RC3 and the kexts which new version I found on this forum. Then shake everything with kexturility and restart.

In the com.apple. boot.plist of the /extra folder I deleted the two lines that referred to arch=x86

I still didn't resolve the touchpad & battery icon issues...

Take a look at superhais downloadpage for snow leopard. There is a solution for your battery icon and voodoopowermini for snow should fix your fan issue. http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

I still didn't resolve the touchpad & battery icon issues...

About your touchpad you have to uninstall evrything about it and then reinstall voodoops2 32/64 bit for snow leopard. The best way to uninstall is to search your hard drive for appleps2.kext and voodoops2.kext. I do it with an app called "find any file" and its perfect i think? http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30079/find-any-file

Ok the battery icon is fixed! Even if i have only %, it shows 0min for time remaining, all the time... The fan looks better even if still fu**** noisy & annoying, it's running slowly and suddenly go crazy for a while, but the laptop is not even hot yet!! Crazy...

There's one thing REALLY annoying, why KextHelper always crash after i installed some Kext? I must force quit... And i can't install kext with my account, i must go in root account, on other PC, i can install directly my kext with my own account!

The function button to mute the sound doesn't work anymore but it did same on my desktop (worked with Leo but not SL). I'm afraid to try the PS2 kext for SL, fear of the KP :thumbsdown_anim: Where do you get the right kext? Anyway, thanks for the help now and the incoming!

Ok the battery icon is fixed! Even if i have only %, it shows 0min for time remaining, all the time... The fan looks better even if still fu**** noisy & annoying, it's running slowly and suddenly go crazy for a while, but the laptop is not even hot yet!! Crazy...

There's one thing REALLY annoying, why KextHelper always crash after i installed some Kext? I must force quit... And i can't install kext with my account, i must go in root account, on other PC, i can install directly my kext with my own account!

The function button to mute the sound doesn't work anymore but it did same on my desktop (worked with Leo but not SL). I'm afraid to try the PS2 kext for SL, fear of the KP :unsure: Where do you get the right kext? Anyway, thanks for the help now and the incoming!

I have the kexts installed on my laptop, but i dont now where to post them. I got them from coconup. About kexthelperb7 it crashes for me to in SL and i have to force quit. If you dont use any password for your user, like if you just only press enter when kext helper prompts for password then its impossible to install kexts with kext helper. You have to make a password for your user account.

The function button to mute the sound doesn't work anymore but it did same on my desktop (worked with Leo but not SL). I'm afraid to try the PS2 kext for SL, fear of the KP :D Where do you get the right kext? Anyway, thanks for the help now and the incoming!

Here are the files you need for sound in SL

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=47356

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=49880

http://www.kexts.com/view/12-hdaenabler_(32--64-bit).html

Its 3 kexts and you just install them with kexthelperb7, even if kexthelper crashes :P

You also have to uninstall the other sound kext you got installed in system/extensions and also extra/extensions. If you have voodoohda installed you have to delete it.

Mr. Daniel Gustavsson? I'm still waiting to know which on the two HDA.kext i have to install and for the PS2 uploaded file from you.. :D

There is 3 kexts and you have to install all of them. alc883.kext hda.kext and hdaenabler.kext

There is 3 kexts and you have to install all of them. alc883.kext hda.kext and hdaenabler.kext

No there is only one hda, but if you press the link 4 times you have 4 hda.kext

Mr. Daniel Gustavsson? I'm still waiting to know which on the two HDA.kext i have to install and for the PS2 uploaded file from you.. :huh:

I havent given you any ps2.kext. I think you have to read about all this some more.

• 1 month later...
Hi, I'd like to have a topic for laptops like mine that come from the same model but have a wide range of brands. What I know is that they are all produced by a warehouse called ECS and they are all called S20 or S20II in the bios. They are all 12.1" and so far these are the ones I found:

- Hasee: WQ250, WQ251, WQ280, W230R, W230N and many others (all the 12.1" branded Hasee I guess)

- Advent: 9212, 8112

- Haier S20 (the original layout)

- maybe some Medion laptops

(If you know other ones please post)

pic:

post-269722-1239715274_thumb.jpg

Apart from the fact that my WQ280 laptop, being white, looks like a MacBook, I think it has a quite good compatibility with OS X.

specs:

Processor Intel� Core™ 2 Duo T8100 (2.1GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 800Mhz FSB)

Chipset Intel� GM965

Memory 2GB DDR-II (I upgraded to 4)

Hard Disk 250GB SATA

Optical Drive DVDRW Drive

Graphics Intel� GMA X3100

Screen 12.1" Glare WXGA (1280x800)

Network Interface 10/100Mbps LAN Wireless Connection Intel� Pro/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)

I/O Ports VGA out, IEEE 1394, 3 x USB2.0, Express Card 4 in 1 Card Reader

Battery 4 Cells 2200mAH

Dimensions (WxHxD) 296�227�26.3mm

Weight 1.83KG (battery included)

Others Fingerprint, Camera

So far I've got everything working except fingerprint sensor and 4in1 card reader and maybe other little things I've never used. The system is stable and I can run without significant problems Adobe CS4, Logic Pro 8, Final Cut, Office and so on, I've never had problems with the software so far.

The soundcard (ALC883 address 0) is working flawlessly with some Legacy kexts I made. I've got audio in and out from every port and even the digital out working with the SMBIOS values I'm using.

This is what I have installed, I hope it will help somebody and that somebody could help to improve some things:

- Leopard retail 10.5.6 retail with munky's efi partition method on GUID disk, Vanilla kernel and chameleon 2.0

- Extensions.zip, these are some extensions you may need: ApplePS2Controller and ACPIPS2Nub, dsmos, HDA, IOUSBMassStorageClass and IOUSBFamily by Slice, VoodooUSBEHCI.

However, I now use only three kexts: HDA, dsmos and VoodooPS2Controller. I got rid of the USB kexts by deleting all the USB devices in my DSDT. In this way, all the USBs are shown as 'Expansion Slot' and not 'Built in' in system profiler and they don't break sleep.

- Webcam working with Camtwist, but I hope to find a better solution... however, if you set camtwist as a startup item and you set it to automatically hide it won't be that annoying.

- 2 finger scrolling with VoodooPS2Controller.

- VoodooPower and VoodooBattery in /S/L/E. These have to be there since otherwise VoodooPower will use a wrong FSB.

- For the wifi I replaced the built-in intel 4965 with a dell dw1490 and it works out of the box.

- Sleep/Restart/Shutdown working. However, after sleep I can't restart the laptop (it stucks at S1), while shutdown works. I think this could be fixed through DSDT but I haven't succeeded yet. Strange thing: sometimes when the laptop wakes the '7' number is stuck and repeated, when this happens I can restart the laptop after sleep :( .

- HDA enabled through DSDT.

DSDT.zip

What I can't get to work:

- Webcam without camtwist: the webcam works also with the sonix webcam monitor, so maybe modifying sonix drivers could lead to something. look here and here

- Fingerprint: I dunno why this doesn't work, since with the same product and vendor id many people don't have problems, look here

- Card reader: I haven't tried much but here's a possible solution

NEW 10 october: Snow Leopard :)

So with this laptop you can upgrade to snow like you would on a macbook if you already have a retail Leopard installation on a GUID disk. All you need is HERE (boot and install CD)

follow these steps to upgrade:

1) Boot in leopard and plug your snow leopard dvd in

2) double click on OS X Installation, then continue

3) the pc will reboot at some point, so plug your boot cd in and boot your install partition from it

4) the installation will go on and you'll be without trackpad at this point, but keyboard will work so there's no need to do anything except clicking the tab and space bar to go on

5) your pc will reboot again, boot your snow leopard install with the boot CD and run the /after install/install.sh (type in terminal 'cd [to the after install folder]' and then 'sudo ./install sh'). do this only if you are booting from the EFI partition, otherwise it could screw up your whole hard disk and you may lose your data. if you are booting in another way just copy the kexts from the resources/extensions folder to where they have to be.

btw you may also try this other method:

1) boot in leopard

2) plug your boot cd in and run the install.sh script

3) plug the leopard DVD in and begin installation from leopard, booting without the need of the boot cd at restart

this should prevent you to boot from the boot cd and you'll probably have trackpad during installation, let me know if it works :)

Some other pics:

post-269722-1238771156_thumb.png post-269722-1238771162_thumb.png

post-269722-1238771168_thumb.png post-269722-1238771175_thumb.png

post-269722-1238771179_thumb.png

If anybody with the same 'kind' of laptop would like to share his experience I'd appreciate, and I hope this topic will be useful, cheers

NEW: Boot/Restore CD

Edit 14/04: The installation script now installs VoodooPS2Controller as well and it autodetects your drive number. I also added a readme file :)

Get it here: Boot Disk

This allows you to boot the Retail DVD, install OS X and then set your EFI partition up with Chameleon 2.0

How it works:

Boot the Retail DVD:

Boot your laptop from the Boot CD

press ENTER when it asks if you want to perform that rescan thing

press f8 when you are at the boot screen

swap the cd with the OS X retail DVD

press ESC

when the OS X retail DVD appears, just boot it :)

After install or for restore (Boot your OS X partition):

Boot your laptop from the Boot CD

Press any key except from enter when it asks for the rescan thing

Press any key when you are at the boot screen

To set up your EFI partition after the retail installation:

IMPORTANT: This script can be run only after a clean install of retail Mac OS X on a GUID partitioned disk. This means you must have re-partitioned your disk before the installation from the Mac OS X disk utility. It won't work if you are using a patched version on an MBR partitioned disk.

Open terminal

Type 'sudo -s' and then your password

Go to the cd After Install folder (just type cd and drag the folder from finder to the terminal)

Type './install.sh'

Done :)

This script will also create an Utilities folder in your home directory. Inside you'll find some useful apps and an EFI folder. When you want to change something in your EFI partition, just change the Extensions in ~Utilities/EFI/Extensions or everything else that's inside there and run ./update.sh as root (sudo -s).

Please check what's inside the CD before burning it. For example, you may have to change the DSDT.aml in the cd Extra folder or the Extensions.mkext in the cd Extra/Preboot.dmg with the ones you are using. Also, you should put your DSDT.txt (decompiled) and all the kexts you are using in the After Install/EFI folder, if they are different than the ones I use (After Install/Resources/EFI/Extensions)

These are the kexts that are in the CD:

HDA.kext

dsmos.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

(ACPIPS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller are used for the booting from CD instead of VoodooPS2Controller)

The install.sh and upload.sh script will basically build an Extensions.mkext file from what you have in your ~Utilities/EFI/Extensions folder, compile a DSDT.aml from your ~Utilities/EFI/DSDT.txt (it must be named DSDT.txt and nothing else) and put everything in your EFI partition including the ~Utilities/EFI/Themes folder and the other plists.

I haven't tested the install script yet but I believe it works, still there may be some errors (just typos but I don't think there are) so try it at your own risk and please report if it works :)

Hi, coconup. Have u managed to get the sleep lid working? I can get it sleep via DSDT mods but when comes to the waking up it sleeps again, any idea?

Hi, coconup. Have u managed to get the sleep lid working? I can get it sleep via DSDT mods but when comes to the waking up it sleeps again, any idea?

Hello Kid,

I have downloaded a dsdt from this thread, i think it was from coconup. Sleep works well on Fn+F1, on the power button and mac menu. If I close the lid i cannot get sleep, the display only sleeps but not the system, the wlan even stayed on.

If I remove the dsdt i will have sleep n lid close, but if i try to wake it up, it sleeps again after a few seconds just like yours. Can you wake it up by just opening the lid?

I have another netbook which I can get it to sleep and wake perfectly but it is a different story, it is on 10.5.7...

The hasee by the way runs on 10.5.8 through apple software update...

Maybe I have to edit the dsdt? what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Kid,

I have downloaded a dsdt from this thread, i think it was from coconup. Sleep works well on Fn+F1, on the power button and mac menu. If I close the lid i cannot get sleep, the display only sleeps but not the system, the wlan even stayed on.

If I remove the dsdt i will have sleep n lid close, but if i try to wake it up, it sleeps again after a few seconds just like yours. Can you wake it up by just opening the lid?

I have another netbook which I can get it to sleep and wake perfectly but it is a different story, it is on 10.5.7...

The hasee by the way runs on 10.5.8 through apple software update...

Maybe I have to edit the dsdt? what do you think?

I have removed coconups dsdt and made mine. Now sleep is working on lid close, but is not able to wake on lid open. I am now finding the resources on how to edit my dsdt in order to have wake on lid open.

Anyone have some tips for me?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
hello,

sorry for my english but i'm french.

I want to install mac os x but the download link is dead on first page. :D

Someone can give it to me ? i need the link of boot disk

Hi

Yes me to

I have just found this page and have the UK advent version of this Laptop

Struggling to get OSX working without cooking my CPU

Any "new" guides for a newb appreciated

ern

Send me PM if you like, what is your current specs by the way? On mine, replaced processor to get native speedstep, dsdt fixed for sleep and wake, trashed the intel wifi card and got atheros 9280 instead. See my sig. GeekBench score matches MacBook 4,1 early 2008. Same specs I guess.

Hi

My specs are for an Advent 8212 version

I have changed the wifi card to the Dell DW 1490

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 (1.80GHz)

BIOS Phoenix BIOS. Press F2 to enter

Chipset Intel 965GM Express

Memory 2GB DDR2 PC2-4200 SODIMM (2 memory slots. Max 2GB)

Hard Drive 120GB

CD Drive Optiarc DVD±RW AD-7560A

Screen 12" Widescreen TFT (native resolution 1280x800)

Video Card Intel GM965 (up to 256MB shared)

Webcam 1.3 Megapixel **

Sound Card Realtek High Definition Audio

Network Card Intel PRO/100 VE

Intel Pro 4965AGN wireless LAN * NOW CHANGED TO DELL DW 1490

Modem 56k

PC Card 1x ExpressCard 34/54 slot

Ports *** 1x Headphone

1x Microphone

1x Kensington Lock

1x LAN

1x VGA

1x IEEE1394 (FireWire)

1x ExpressCard

3x USB 2.0

1x Modem

1x Card Reader

Touchpad Synaptics Touchpad

Made By Uniwill S20II1 Which is I guess the same as yours

I can install native Snow leopard and update to latest version using tonymac86 boot disk. Unfortunatly the laptop runs very hot and sleep etc does not work

Any help would be appreciated to get this machine running sweetly

Regards

Ern