edit the booting choices in darwin?

dilnalomo

6 posts in this topic

is there a way to edit the booting choices in darwin? some people installed osx on a separate harddrive and darwin wont list Windows as a choice on boot up, anyone know how to fix that?

Unfortuneatly i've asked the same question myself many times and got no response. What i've figured out so far is that the bootloader that you see is a hack, this bootloader doesn't actualy exist for real macs/osx. Secondly it seems to be hardcoded based on what other operating systems were installed at the time. There are only binary bootloading files, and i've yet to find any form of configuration file for it. For example, when i first installed osx, i had windows installed allready, and it autodected that, and made a boot menu with 2 entries, one for windows, and one for osx. Later i added another partition with linux, and re-installed osx (for other reasons) and i noticed that i now had 3 entries in the darwin bootloader, the original two plus a third entry for linux. So i think the real anwser is that we need to get ahold of whoever hacked together this bootloader (probably maxxuss) and ask him how exactly it works, if you feel like sending him an e-mail, please tell me his response!

Although its a bit of a pain in the ass, i think your only solution is to install a different bootloader like grub, or perhaps use the windows bootloader, and copy the chain0 binary over to your windows partition. Theres plenty of documentation on using both of these methods, so i wont go into it in detail here.

I got my dual boot working fine, using darwin as boot loader. and i've written a guide for it.(see my sig.)

but someone has problem with darwin cause his osx was installed on a separate drive and darwin wont detect it. so i wanted to know is it was possible to edit darwin and add windows in...but seeing what you guys replied, i dont think its possible. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Im dual booting using the windows boot loader and chain0.

When i select OSX on the windows boot loader, it goes into the darwin bootloader, but the darwin is set to load Windows as default, so it just keeps on looping around.

(Windows Bootloader -> darwin bootloader -> Windows bootloader -> darwin bootloader ... ect)

I can boot into OSX if i press F8 quickly after i select OSX in the windows bootloader. This allows me to choose which partition to boot to in the darwin bootloader .

Its alright but its kind of a pain to have to catch it everytime.

Is there anyway to change the boot order in darwin so that OSX is first in the darwin bootloader?

Thanks

Well, you could set the Mac partition to be active (or the first to boot) rather than the Windows partition. It'll then use the Darwin bootloader rather than the Windows bootloader. I believe Darwin boots to the active partition by default. By using the Darwin bootloader first, rather than the Windows bootloader, it will default to the Mac OS, but still give you the option to choose Windows as your second choice. There was a post somewhere in the forum regarding a change using the "kernel flags" command, but that didn't seem to work. well, hope that helps with something...