mcp79 chipped mac-minis' and iMacs' soon to come

DiaboliK

44 posts in this topic

If Firewire is left out, which seems to be a trend, I will just have to stick with the old Mini that I have.

Yeah I hope Apple has learned something from all the upset people who didn't buy the Air because of no Firewire, and didn't buy a new Macbook for the same reason... ;)

I'd much rather have eSATA on the back, which would also eliminate the need for Firewire as well. Ideally the back plate would have: DisplayPort (so for HDMI and DVI only cheap generic passthrough adapters would be required, and please Apple none of this mini-DP nonsense), 2x eSATA, 2x USB, Gbit-LAN, Audio (analogue in+out, S/PDIF).

According to this the new mini is also getting 4GB of RAM! Monday is Macworld, and the second that they (hopefully) mention a new Mac mini, I'll be jumping in my car and going to the Apple store (luckily only 10-15 minutes away) to buy a couple. I've been waiting for over a year for this and I hope it's not a false rumor. Of course once I have the new mini in my hands a complete review will follow. I can't wait to dig into it :hysterical:

If Firewire is left out, which seems to be a trend, I will just have to stick with the old Mini that I have.

Firewire 400 died as of July '08. USB 3.0 will be faster than even Firewire 800. I'm betting this is one reason why Apple is leaving Firewire out.

Hello, I have joined to let you guys know that you are front page on macrumors...

That is a pretty weak acknowledgement of the original source by MacRumors, but I am not surprised they avoid mentioning InsanelyMac explicitly.

Sooner or later, I think the OSx86 community is going to start demanding the respect it deserves from the rest of the Mac cult.

According to this the new mini is also getting 4GB of RAM! Monday is Macworld, and the second that they (hopefully) mention a new Mac mini, I'll be jumping in my car and going to the Apple store (luckily only 10-15 minutes away) to buy a couple. I've been waiting for over a year for this and I hope it's not a false rumor. Of course once I have the new mini in my hands a complete review will follow. I can't wait to dig into it :wacko:

Firewire 400 died as of July '08. USB 3.0 will be faster than even Firewire 800. I'm betting this is one reason why Apple is leaving Firewire out.

I remember, as I'm sure we all do, Jobbs eulogizing Firewire and egging us on to buy it. Omitting it from the Air seemed like a stab in the back. The reason it matters to me is, well, okay, a little bizarre...

The hard drive in my Mini was never the quietest, it made little metallic-chirrupy-bird noises but is otherwise diagnostically sound. So I plucked it out, put it in a soundproof enclosure and use it and another tiny firewire encosure with a large capacity HD, swapping between the two. The original mini's HD I use as part of a secure work environment, the other is for go anywhere surfing and playing image copies of my DVDs, ensuring mechanical silence. I can pop either mini hard drive in my pocket and take it anywhere. The point is, with firewire I can boot up from either.

• 4 weeks later...