[GUIDE]Install Leopard on the HP DC7100 and update to 10.5.6 without DSDT

flibblesan

56 posts in this topic

well, spoke too soon about the KP. I've had one a few hours ago, and sure enough seatbelt was to blame. Now replaced.

yeah...there are some minor bugs

no problems over here...mostly fixed

just had to boot with -f for detecting my usb-wifi!!!

we´ll just have to wait for new kernel and system.kext

then things get clearer ;-)

Updated guide to provide information on the new GMA900 method, using AppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler thanks to DFE.

I advise you to continue using the older framebuffer for now. Slight artifacts but no KPs in full screen applications.

I couldn't resist a little upgrade today. I popped down to my local CEX as they had a Pentium 4 650 listed on the website for £35. Got home and it ended up being a Pentium 4 651 which makes it a Cedar Mill rather than a Prescott. This means it supports 64bit extensions and is a 65nm CPU rather than a 90nm which the Prescott is. Bonus is that my CPU is a D0 stepping which means it has a TDP of only 65W rather than the standard 86W.

I also popped down to PC World to pick up a 7200GS video card. Only 128MB RAM but it was £20. Picked up a replacement for my crappy CRT monotor also whilst I was there.

The 7200GS worked, but I had no QE. Tried a load of EFI strings, non worked. Ended up using NVkrush in the end.

I'm happy now. :wacko:

hi flibblesan

yeah...definitely helpful

nice guide...

if anyone need help in installing retail on that box...say something :P

I'm having problems trying to get boot-132 working. I'm following munkys guide about choosing another kernel but when I do boot-uuid or rd=disk1s3 etc it just sits there doing nothing.. last thing on the screen is waiting for the drive, but it's not the usual "waiting for root" issue.

EDIT:

Grrrrr! Seems that I'm unable to boot using a SATA DVDRW... plugged my old IDE drive in and I can boot using all the Boot-132 discs I created..

Now why on Earth can't I boot from SATA DVD...

I'm having problems trying to get boot-132 working. I'm following munkys guide about choosing another kernel but when I do boot-uuid or rd=disk1s3 etc it just sits there doing nothing.. last thing on the screen is waiting for the drive, but it's not the usual "waiting for root" issue.

EDIT:

Grrrrr! Seems that I'm unable to boot using a SATA DVDRW... plugged my old IDE drive in and I can boot using all the Boot-132 discs I created..

Now why on Earth can't I boot from SATA DVD...

the problem is that you dont boot your HDD (0,1) thats why you get ''waiting for root''

the problem is that you dont boot your HDD (0,1) thats why you get ''waiting for root''

I was using:

rd(0,1)/modbin -v -legacy boot-uuid=D929A16C-D2E4-315B-97FF-8802A5D12AB3

When using my SATA DVDRW, it stops with "Still waiting for root"

If I use my old IDE DVDROM, it works fine.

I'm very sure I'm typing the correct commands it. boot-132 loads the extensions from the RAMDISK correctly.

Anyway I've installed using my IDE drive now, and I'm done the munkey method to use the EFI partition as my boot-132 drive. I only have extensions installed on the OSX partition for AC97 audio and NVkrush, as I couldn't get them working if they were on the EFI drive.

I have restored all my applications, updated to 10.5.5 then 10.5.6 and I'm very very sure this install is much faster than the one I had before.

Still, I'd love to know how I can boot a Leopard DVD on my sata drive.. even the JaS DVD doesn't boot on it... I've gone through the BIOS settings.. I wonder if there is a special kext needed.. odd as I'm running my system on the standard intel SATA kexts.. nothing changed.

BTW, what happened to the specs in your sig?

stumbled upon it and tried it and it worked

Well, nice one. I still need the BCM5751 kext also?

Unfortunately it didn't work.

I tried it with the AppleBCM5751 kext and it didn't work. Gave me a zero mac address. On it's own gave me no network.

Exactly how did you do this please?

Well, nice one. I still need the BCM5751 kext also?

Unfortunately it didn't work.

I tried it with the AppleBCM5751 kext and it didn't work. Gave me a zero mac address. On it's own gave me no network.

Exactly how did you do this please?

I followed his guild i have my BCM5751 in the IONetworkfamily plugin and i rebooted and booted with -v -f and i got a mac adress

I can't get it working, sorry. I wonder if it's because I'm using the munky efi method thingy. I've tried the strings in the com.apple.Boot.plist on my EFI drive as well as my main partition. Makes no difference.

Doesn't matter.

are you having the problem with screen resolution with 10.5.6 framebuffer ? and it seems i'm not getting any Artifacts with the new fb

New framebuffer gave me no artifacts, but I found performance lower. Also if you use any application that tries to set a resolution, you will kernel panic.

I'm using a 7200GS video card now with Natit. I can't get EFI strings working with QE and CI, and NVkush doesn't know my card.

Quick Munky EFI partition guide:

1) Use a Boot-132 CD to boot a retail Leopard DVD. I used 10.5.4

2) Setup the hard disk as GUID. Install Leopard.

3) When install finishes and gives error about unable to set drive bootable, hard reset and boot from boot-132 CD again.

4) When in leopard, download the file from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=39402

5) Extract file

time to get hands dirty

6) Format the EFI partition. If Leopard was installed to disk0 then the partition of the EFI will be disk0s1 and disk0s2 will be the Leopard installation. In my experience, s1 is always EFI and s2 is always Leopard.

This is as simple as doing

diskutil info / | grep Identifier

to find out the drive ID and then

diskutil list

listing partitions. dXs1 should be EFI, X being the drive number (usually 0)

Now do:

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/diskXs1

Setup EFI partition as HFS+. Again, X = disk number.

Now, setup the bootloader itself. This is very similar to the manual Netkas/Chamelon EFI installation.

Stage 0:

./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX

Stage 1

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1

Copy boot to EFI:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI
cp boot-turbo-munky.bin /Volumes/EFI/boot
cp update.sh /Volumes/EFI/

Make HD bootable: (type the letter/number press return after)

./fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX
f
w
q

Setup directorys on EFI and prevent fseventsd from logging this:

mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter
mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extensions
mkdir /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd
touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log

Copy required extensions to /Volumes/Extensions/EFI/

run ./update.sh inside /Volumes/EFI - this does the following:

echo "Updating EFI boot cache"
mv /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext.previous
chmod -R 644 /Volumes/EFI/Extensions
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extensions
kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extensions > update.log 2>&1
chmod 644 /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext
chown root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext

If a patched kernel is required, copy this to /Volumes/EFI/mach_kernel

Unmount EFI drive:

umount /Volumes/EFI

If you are using non-vanilla kernel, and it has been copied to /Volumes/EFI then a com.apple.Boot.plist must be put onto /Volumes/EFI with the UUID of the Leopard partition. IE:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>bt(0,0)/mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>boot-uuid=0AC904A8-6E55-386F-A7DC-17EAEF63DB1C</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string></string>

</dict>
</plist>

That is basically it.

Anybody, feel free to suggest changes to this.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't get it working, sorry. I wonder if it's because I'm using the munky efi method thingy. I've tried the strings in the com.apple.Boot.plist on my EFI drive as well as my main partition. Makes no difference.

Doesn't matter.

hi there....

efi strings doesnt work anymore since 10.5.2 update

maybe bootloader related too....no glue ,-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Flibblesans rough guide to installing on the HP DC7100

Hello. I thought that I would write this guide for a few reasons. Firstly, to help new users to get Leopard running easily, and secondly to provide a place for people to ask questions and support each other.

This guide is written for the HP DC7100, but it should provide some helpful information for other computers that are based on the same hardware.

The HP DC7100 has the following specifications:

Intel 915G chipset. Provides ICH6 SATA and IDE, GMA900 video

Intel Pentium 4 CPU

DDR ram support up to 4GB

Mini tower, Small Form Factor or Ultra Small case

AC97 audio (AD198x)

ICH6 SATA & IDE

As this machine cannot handle Core processors, we are stuck with the Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron D. Pentium D is supposed to be supported but I cannot verify this.

I'm basing this guide on the JaS 10.5.4 DVD, but iDeneb 10.5.4 also works fine.

Installing

This guide will assume you only want to run OSX on your machine. Please read other guides if you wish to dual boot.

Boot your DVD and once loaded, enter the Disk Utility from the top menu.

Select your hard disk and click partitions. Make as many as you like and click "Options" to select GUID.

Once you have formatted, close disk utility then go back to the setup.

Select your partition then click "Custom" to select packages. I chose the following:

Kernel - STAGE XNU

Chipset - Intel-ICHx

Audio - AC97

Install the system then when the machine reboots, switch off and turn back on. Remove the DVD from the drive.

At the Darwin boot loader, press a key and enter:

-s

You will boot into safe mode. Follow the on-screen instructions to mount the drive:

/sbin/fsck -fy /
/sbin/mount -uw /

Then we need to set a root password:

passwd root

Enter your password twice, then run this:

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

The finally, enter

reboot

When the machine reboots, you will be presented with the logon screen. Enter the username of root, and your password.

Once at the desktop, click the System Preferences icon on the dock.

Click Accounts and setup a new account for yourself. Make sure you set this as Administrator.

1) Click the +

2) Change "New Account" to Administrator

3) Enter your name and a password

4) Click "Create Account"

Now click "Login Options" and set "Automatic Login" to your new user.

Now go back to the System Preferences and set your Date & Time settings to your correct timezone, then change International to your correct location and keymap.

Now you should have a working system except for full video and your network card. We will get network running first.

Install BCM5751 Network

If you do not have the AppleBCM5751 kext installed already, download this:

BCM57XX.zip

and install using Kexthelper or OSX86Tools. I prefer to use OSX86Tools

Reboot once you have installed and you should find that you have network listed in System Profiler but no MAC address. We can fix that easily.

Download this:

LaunchDaemons.zip

and extract it. Enter the org.gizmolabs.setMAC folder and edit setmac.sh this line:

/sbin/ifconfig en0 ether 05:14:21:5E:AE:A6

so it matches your correct MAC address. If you do not know your MAC address, you can use Linux to find out. Alternatively, make one up. I cannot promise it will work if you do not use your correct MAC address.

Once saved, drop the folder and the plist into Library\LaunchDaemons and also into System\Library\LaunchDaemons

Reboot your machine. You should find working internet.

Video

Use the DFE enabler solution here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=141549

Get System profiler working

Download and install this kext: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t1lzgwinyz0

Getting ready for 10.5.5

Now we are going to update to 10.5.5

You need to get the following:

PC EFI v9 Chameleon v1.0.12 from here (thanks to weaksauce12)

Voodoo XNU from here (thanks to mercurysquad)

Download the pre and post update pack from url (with thanks to Mysticus C's thread)

Download Max OS X 10.5.5 Combo update from here

1) Install Chameleon and reboot

2) Run 'Prepare for Combo Update.pkg' and close once done

3) Run the Mac OS X 10.5.5 Combo updater. DO NOT CLICK REBOOT WHEN DONE! LEAVE THE WINDOW OPEN

4) Run 'Post Combo Update Patches v1.2.0 and select following:

Leave Kernel unchecked

Chipset - Just Restore My Chipset

Video - Uncheck all

Audio - Just Restore My Audio

Network - Just Restore Network

System Functions - SMBIOS - MacPro

5) Click Install. When finished, do not click Close or Reboot.

6) Install Voodoo XNU. Then reboot

The system will reboot a couple of times. Once done, you should be at the desktop.

If you want, you can look at adding disablers to Extra\Extensions which should be update proof. Have a look at this for details.

Update to 10.5.6

Make sure you have the IntelCPUManagement disabler installed. You will need to install the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from 10.5.5 if you do not have it, as without it the update will fail. The disabler will stop this loading though, so you will be safe. It's here: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip

Update using the updater in OSX. Boot using

-v mach_kernel.voodoo

and let it reboot, again doing the

-v mach_kernel.voodoo

to boot to desktop.

Once at desktop, either copy mach_kernel.voodoo to mach_kernel doing

sudo cp mach_kernel.voodoo mach_kernel

or use the Voodoo installer again.

You will need to install your AC97 audio like before. If you want information displayed in System profiler, use this enabler: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t1lzgwinyz0

I'll update this as I find more things out, but I hope this gives some people a starting guide.

Does any of you guys get variable fan speed?? My DC7100 SFF fan seem to spin at baseline regardless of load. Any Ideas?

• 2 weeks later...