Hope for AR5007EG?

mackerintel

81 posts in this topic

Hello. I was comparing linux drivers for AR5006 and AR5007EG. Then I applied the same changes to AirportAtheros. I changed:

-Removed card revision check

-Replaced RfBanks and registry tables

-Changed default radio revision

-Modified channel changing routine

-Never reset PCI Express-core fix

-Removed EEPROM size check

With this fixes driver now loads, I have Airport icon but no scanning or associating. But my card also bugs under linux. So it's possible it has some defect or is buggy. Additionally for me 802.11a would represent some advantages so tomorrow I go to the local stor to buy AR5008E-based abgn card (they work very well according to reports). So I post this work as is and probably won't continue it. But if someone is interested he can continue it.

P.S. @developpers: I wrote a helper application that allows to add data to __DATA__ section. It's ugly but if it could be useful for you say it here.

IO80211Family.kext.zip

I tried the kext and had the same experience as you. It loads and Airport recognizes it, but it won't associate with an access point. I have an Acer Aspire One with iAtkos 10.5.5 installation. Still though, this is easily the closest to a working kext I have come across. Thanks for the time you put into this and for sharing it. Hopefully someone else will pick it up and get the rest working. This is the last non-working critical component on my system and I know there are a lot of other people waiting for a working AR5007EG kext too.

Woooooooooww it reconigze my atheros 5007 i will try to connected later and i will post my results :(

EDIT: ok, no luck here...it scan but it dosent find anything

can you try to change the topic name to something like....Almost working kext, need help....or something like that, i think it would catch more eyes and testers!...dont you think?

great work!!

Hi,

i have Atheros AR5006G (Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter [168c:001c]) and i install you'r IO80211Family.kext and my system detect my atheros :D WooooW ... but scan dosent find anything :) Sory too my English :)

Elber

Here is the log when run the attached kext on Compaq C770US/10.5.5 vanila with atheros AR5007EG. Everything normal except the scan can not find any network.

AirPort_Athr5424ab: Ethernet address 00:1f:**:**:**:**

ALF ALERT: sockwall_cntl_updaterules ctl_enqueuedata rts err 55

unable to reset hardware; hal status 67

AirPort: Link Down on en2

And this is my log at boot:

Nov 15 15:03:12 nrbg-4d070702 airportd[61]: Error: Apple80211Scan() error -6
Nov 15 15:03:12 nrbg-4d070702 airportd[61]: Error: __performScan() failed (-6)
Nov 15 15:03:14 nrbg-4d070702 kernel[0]: unable to reset hardware; hal status 67
Nov 15 15:03:14 nrbg-4d070702 SystemUIServer[104]: Error: Apple80211Scan() error 16
Nov 15 15:03:14 nrbg-4d070702 SystemUIServer[104]: Error: __performScan() failed, entering fail-save workaround..
Nov 15 15:03:17 nrbg-4d070702 SystemUIServer[104]: Error: Apple80211Scan() error 16
Nov 15 15:03:17 nrbg-4d070702 SystemUIServer[104]: Error: __performScan() failed, entering fail-save workaround..
Nov 15 15:03:20 nrbg-4d070702 SystemUIServer[104]: Error: Apple80211Scan() error 16
Nov 15 15:03:20 nrbg-4d070702 SystemUIServer[104]: Error: __performScan() failed (16)
Nov 15 15:03:23 nrbg-4d070702 airportd[61]: Error: Apple80211Scan() error -6
Nov 15 15:03:23 nrbg-4d070702 airportd[61]: Error: __performScan() failed (-6)
Nov 15 15:03:24 nrbg-4d070702 kernel[0]: unable to reset hardware; hal status 67
Nov 15 15:03:24 nrbg-4d070702 SystemUIServer[104]: Error: Apple80211Scan() error 16
Nov 15 15:03:24 nrbg-4d070702 SystemUIServer[104]: Error: __performScan() failed, entering fail-save workaround..
Nov 15 15:03:27 nrbg-4d070702 SystemUIServer[104]: Error: Apple80211Scan() error 16
Nov 15 15:03:27 nrbg-4d070702 SystemUIServer[104]: Error: __performScan() failed, entering fail-save workaround..
Nov 15 15:03:30 nrbg-4d070702 SystemUIServer[104]: Error: Apple80211Scan() error 16
Nov 15 15:03:30 nrbg-4d070702 SystemUIServer[104]: Error: __performScan() failed, entering fail-save workaround..

22-11-08 2:28:05 configd[42] Error: No interface name for AirPort_Athr5424ab

22-11-08 2:28:07 kernel AirPort_Athr5424ab: Ethernet address ....

22-11-08 2:28:07 airportd[83] Error: ACInterfaceGetPowerPreference() called with invalid interface

22-11-08 2:28:07 airportd[83] Error: Not an ACInterfaceRef (null)

22-11-08 2:28:48 kernel AirPort: Link Down on en1

22-11-08 2:28:58 SystemUIServer[102] Error: Apple80211Scan() error -6

22-11-08 2:28:58 SystemUIServer[102] Error: __performScan() failed (-6)

22-11-08 2:29:40 SystemUIServer[102] Error: __performScan() failed, entering fail-save workaround..

MORE PROGRESS, RESULTING IN AN ACTUAL CONNECTION! I MADE THIS POST WITH IT.

I lose the connection after a minute or two put there is proof that the card can get up, get on and move data.

I installed the kext from the beginning of this thread but that just makes the card scan, never finds a network.

On a hunch I downloaded Kismac, went to preferences and added Airport Extreme Passive Mode, entered my password when prompted and went to the scan window and clicked start scan. Within 30 seconds networks started appearing! Better yet I then went to the airport icon and my network was listed. I clicked on it, it promoted me for a password and connected to the network with WPA security.

The connection only lasts for a few minutes before the airport acts like the network disappeared. When it is active it has bursts of speed and then becomes very slow. In Vista the card is very quick from the same place in the house.

So, now it connects but now we need to make it stable.

By the way this is for sure an AR5007 and the PC is a Compaq Presario C771.

Okay, this is jolly annoying, minus the jolly part - I just ordered a broadcom BRCM4311 as a replacement for the one in my Acer Aspire 4720z. Damn it!!!

Great news. I will keep watching this space, I know a lot of people who are have that card and dual boot with windows, soley so they can connect under Vista! This should free up some hard drive space if you guys figure it out. :P

Hey, this has got some GOOD progress!... but.. i installed the kext and it finally! showed my atheros card in airport, but it will not find any networks, so i tried the kismac solution and that didnt work either :S, oldmanlover, can u give me a more descriptive guide on how to do it, as i am not very good with macs :hysterical:

help will be greatful :hysterical:

-bass2k8

I got it running once on my eeepc with kismac! It's great everything seems ok.. The issue seems to be in the network scanning anyway.. It would be good to try with the latest kexts from airport update 2008-004.. (that have to be modified anyway..) .The airport card is always detected and that is a really good step forward!

I got it running once on my eeepc with kismac! It's great everything seems ok.. The issue seems to be in the network scanning anyway.. It would be good to try with the latest kexts from airport update 2008-004.. (that have to be modified anyway..) .The airport card is always detected and that is a really good step forward!

Are you in the same situation as me then? where it is detected.. but u cannot connect/find any networks?

oldmaclover what version of kismac do you use ?

thanks

I tried the latest version of it, and i still cannot find any =/

i have an Acer Aspire 5310 Laptop

Atheros AR5007EG

I got this from system profiler:

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x428)

Wireless Card Locale: USA

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.4.4

Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available

So.. can anyone please help me??

OK here is my attempt at a guide:

First, make sure the card is on in another OS and restart. Those of you hoping to not have to dual boot are out of luck right now.

1. Starting from 10.5.5 and a vanilla kernel.

2. Download and install the Airport Update 2008-004. Reboot.

3. Download and install the IO8211Family.kext at the beginning of this thread with Kexthelper unless you feel like doing all of the prermission repairs and stuff.

4. Download and install Kismac trunk r319.

5. Reboot. You have a 40% chance of getting a boot without a kernel panic. Just retry, it will eventually reboot fine.

6. Open Kismac before you do anything. Go to prefererences and find the tab for drivers. Add the Airport Extreme Passive mode one. Active mode does not work. Exit that menu and then click start scan. You will start to see networks. Once you see networks quit Kismac.

7. Now go the airport icon in the top bar and click on Join Other Network. (if the icon is not there you need to go to network preferences and enable the icon.) Then click on show networks. Your network will come up. Click on it, click join and then it will ask you for your network password. Enter that and then it will connect to your network and be stable. You will have to set up a network in the networking preference panel for the airport card just like normal.

On my Presario C771 the WIFI lights are not on blue but the card still works.

When you restart you will sometimes get a kernel error. Just try again. When you restart you will only have to do steps 6 and 7 and will not have to reenter you network password if you put it in your keychain when prompted.

It works everytime I boot now as long as the hardware button on the notebook is not pressed. The network stays on all the time and is fast.

Thanks man!!, your a genius. I followed that guide from "oldmaclover", and now i successfully have my wireless working now =D.

If anyone wants me to help them just let me know.

and if i dont reply, just Instant Message me on Windows Live Messenger via this address: bass-2k8@hotmail.co.uk

Look at my previous posts :) to find out more info on this case. =)

Here are some images of that i have done it to prove to you. My wireless is Atheros AR5007EG.

Does anyone know how to print screen? because i did this using a program called grab, and it only lets me screenshot and save as .tiff which is massive in size. i wanna know how to save as .jpg...... Anyone help me?

- EDIT -

I cannot upload these pictures, because i cant upload .tiff files..

can anyone help me make them an apropiate file..

It says to use .gif ?

Lets say... print screen to a .gif image file, instead of .tiff