HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

First up, great work on getting OS X working on these machines. The installers are ace!

I have a quick question, apologies if it's been asked before but I have done plenty of searching.

I have a 6720s, 10.6.5 installed with blackch's 0.3 installer. (10.6.6 didn't like the Intel graphics fix) everything is working brilliantly except that when the machine goes into standby, I can only wake it with the power button. The Keyboard and mouse won't respond at all. A USB mouse works fine, so I guess it's something to do with ps/2 ?

Has anyone come across this?

Cheers in advance.

About _TMP method in Thermal zones under lion..

Seams i have found bug:

TMP method uses C0EF method, but in lion it returns completely different results on same values.

And C0EF method in lion returns impossible values (32bit values, when maximum possible is 16 bit)

So i tried to fix it, and seams this works:

Method (C0EF, 3, Serialized) 
{
   Acquire (_GL, 0xFFFF)
   Store (Zero, Local2)
   Store (0x01F4, Local0)
   While (LAnd (And (C0EA, One), LGreater (Local0, Zero)))
   {
       Stall (0x64)
       Decrement (Local0)
   }
   If (Local0)
   {
       Store (Arg1, C0EC)
       Store (Arg0, C0ED)
       If (LEqual (And (Arg0, One), Zero))
       {
           Store (Arg2, C0EE)
       }
       Store (0xFF, C0EA)
       Store (0x48, C0EB)
       Store (0x01F4, Local0)
       While (LAnd (LEqual (And (C0EA, 0x1E), Zero), LGreater (Local0, 
           Zero)))
       {
           Stall (0x64)
           Decrement (Local0)
       }
       And (C0EA, 0x1C, Local1)
       Store (0xFF, C0EA)
       If (LAnd (LEqual (Local1, Zero), And (Arg0, One)))
       {
           Store (C0EE, Local2)
       }
   }
   Else
   {
       Store (One, Local1)
   }
   Release (_GL)
[b]
   And(Local1, 0xff, Local1) // added  - crop value to 8bit, as it must be according to code above. 
   And(Local2, 0xff, Local2) // added
[/b]
   If (And (Arg0, One))
   {
       ShiftLeft (Local1, 0x08, Local3)
       Or (Local3, Local2, Local1)
   }
   Return (Local1)
}

With this I have correct work of C0EF(it seams to be correct) - values are almost the same as in snow.

And as result now _TMP method return normal value for TZ1 and TZ3.

@BlackCH, juanerson:

Try my ACPIThermal with this fix. I believe it will work now. Good luck.

About _TMP method in Thermal zones under lion..

Seams i have found bug:

TMP method uses C0EF method, but in lion it returns completely different results on same values.

And C0EF method in lion returns impossible values (32bit values, when maximum possible is 16 bit)

With this I have correct work of C0EF(it seams to be correct) - values are almost the same as in snow.

And as result now _TMP method return normal value for TZ1 and TZ3.

@BlackCH, juanerson:

Try my ACPIThermal with this fix. I believe it will work now. Good luck.

YES!! you nailed!

Works like a charm.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:

Would be nice to release a lion install package now we have most of the things working.

There should be a DSDT for Merom and other for Penryn CPUs

What do you guys think about it?

@ThirdSmile, THANK YOU MAN. Works PERFECT... and You are Awesome!

Captura_de_pantalla_2011_09_14_a_la_s__15.44.09.png

@BlackCH, I am very happy right now, and Agree with you of course. Por mi parte, me ofrezco a unificar los esfuerzos individuales en la misma DSDT (una para Merom y otra para Penryn) para la 6720s, tanto los aportes de ThirdSmile y los tuyos junto con mis modificaciones, sé que te van a gustar. Y les subo lo más pronto posible la versión de prueba final por privado entre una semana me parece suficiente, para hacer los ajustes de acuerdo a las sugerencias que acordemos entre los tres. Por otra parte, para la 6820s también se puede hacer la nueva versión de DSDT siempre y cuando haya suficiente participación y peticiones de sus usuarios en el foro, que son pocos por lo visto. Que opinas? Te agradezco. Saludos.

Nice to hear, that thermal zones are fixed =)

Also, there are no passive cooling implementation in my driver - I think, it is not necessary, but probably not bad thing(but I did not know how to implement it)...

About install package - would be great. Also I think new install package for 10.6.8 would be good too.

About 6820s:

Few years ago I have tried to install OSX on 6820s laptop(for my friend), but there are Radeon x1350 video, and there was no QE/CI - does this already fixed?

Also about FB from 10.7 - any ideas about it?

Also I think new install package for 10.6.8 would be good too.

I think the same installer could be used for both systems with a clean-up script (to delete unecessary things). I plan to move all extra extensions to S/L/E and use org.chameleon.boot.plist as default. It probably will be a pkg file (a boot cd is useless with lion), so people would need to snow installed...

I have no clue about 10.7 FB. I've search around for any information but nothing came up...

About the x1350 driver, there was a patch for 10.5 but I dont know if it would work for lion:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142723

@BlackCH, I am very happy right now, and Agree with you of course. Por mi parte, me ofrezco a unificar los esfuerzos individuales en la misma DSDT (una para Merom y otra para Penryn) para la 6720s, tanto los aportes de ThirdSmile y los tuyos junto con mis modificaciones, sé que te van a gustar. Y les subo lo más pronto posible la versión de prueba final por privado entre una semana me parece suficiente, para hacer los ajustes de acuerdo a las sugerencias que acordemos entre los tres.

Lets do it like that. Send us the dsdt to test. Anyway I think it would be good to have some sort of code repository (github?) for the DSDT as ThirdSmile suggested before, to keep track of the changes and different branches. Also users could download the lastest version from there...

Idea: Implement place-holders in the DSL for things that are not standard, like custom Pstates and GFX properties injection, and include these pieces of code separate in case users wants to use them.

Also, there are no passive cooling implementation in my driver - I think, it is not necessary, but probably not bad thing(but I did not know how to implement it)...

About install package - would be great. Also I think new install package for 10.6.8 would be good too.

About 6820s:

Few years ago I have tried to install OSX on 6820s laptop(for my friend), but there are Radeon x1350 video, and there was no QE/CI - does this already fixed?

Also about FB from 10.7 - any ideas about it?

I think these are the kexts I used to get proper graphics on my Compaq 6820s. I'm using them on 10.6.7

radeon_x1350_kext.zip

Hi guys, Please I want to know if closing the LID Sleep is working for you on Lion? It doesn't for me.

No, isnt working. In fact when closing the lid the screen doesnt go off, nor the machine goes to sleep.

I think these are the kexts I used to get proper graphics on my Compaq 6820s. I'm using them on 10.6.7

If you have the chance to test the driver under Lion would be good, so we can include it on the new install package.

Continue the story of sleep/wake.

Now I find out the reason why my 10.6.7 cannot wake up immediately (but it works properly after waking up from virtual memory, see my las posts http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...ult_type=posts). Try toggling "Setting -> Energy Saver -> Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible". The reason might be that sleepwatcher takes care of thermal something, but not wakes up the hard disk.

Cheers!

Continue the story of sleep/wake.

...The reason might be that sleepwatcher takes care of thermal something, but not wakes up the hard disk.

See here and here. After all, seems than SleepWatcher is not needed anymore... But maybe is just on 10.6.8 & Lion, I don't know. I think, but maybe I am wrong, is due to the AppleACPIPlatform & ACPIFamily structure changes... you know.

@All, I am experimenting a problem after wake in Lion... related to overheating, because TZones "critical temperatures" change drastically (see in IOReg), so no good Active Cooling waking from Sleep for me. I am almost sure the problem coming from another broken part in the DSDT... you know too. What do you think?

@All, I am experimenting a problem after wake in Lion... related to overheating, because TZones "critical temperatures" change drastically (see in IOReg), so no good Active Cooling waking from Sleep for me. I am almost sure the problem coming from another broken part in the DSDT... you know too. What do you think?

I can confirm that everytime the thermal driver unloads and loads these values change. Sometimes the difference between them is very big.

I cannot confirm overheating because Im not really using Lion on regular basis. I will take a spin on the weekend to test this issue

Critical temperature is not used in driver(driver simply reads it and store in IOReg).

I can confirm that everytime the thermal driver unloads and loads these values change. Sometimes the difference between them is very big.

I cannot confirm overheating because Im not really using Lion on regular basis. I will take a spin on the weekend to test this issue

Now driver takes this values from ACPI, if there are bugs under lion - we can hardcode them in driver or in DSDT.

Now I am not using lion, but under snow leopard this values seams to be correct.

... but under snow leopard this values seams to be correct.

That's the exactly reason why I said:

I am almost sure the problem coming from another broken part in the DSDT...

Probably is not a bug (something wrong) in the driver, because only happen on Lion. Maybe, the problem is still in the DSDT.

Just for summary, to install and run Lion we need:

- all kexts from bootcd (excluding applethermal and legacy_speedstep);

- patched IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext;

- intelgmax3100 from 10.6.8;

- apple thermal by thirdsmile;

- gsly driver.

And finally, ThirSmile's dsdt contains patches for c-states and p-states?

- all kexts from bootcd (excluding applethermal and legacy_speedstep);

And finally, ThirSmile's dsdt contains patches for c-states and p-states?

- AppleACPIThermal and Legacy_Speedstep are NOT needed anymore... as SleepWatcher daemon & scripts.

- ThirdSmile's uploaded dsdt w/TZ table is ONLY for Merom CPUs. Also have the necessary C-States patch and Battery Fix.