What has happened to research?

10 posts in this topic

Firstly, I want to say how much I appreciate this forum and especially all those who contribute to make OSX86 available to us to experiment with on our PC's. Yes, I said experiment - I believe too many people regard this as a quick an easy fix to rid themselves of Windows. If they bothered to adequately RESEARCH the forums then they would know that they would have to experiment in order to see if something would work on their system.

I have noticed recently that more and more people join the forums and immediately ask the "will this work" type of question without showing any attempts to RESEARCH (the R word again) or including system specs etc.

I am not saying that I am perfect, I am relatively knew to OSX86, I cannot understand or write code, BUT I am more than capable of researching (the R word again) before hitting the help buttons.

Sorry if this seems to be a hard hitting rant, but I do it in support of the long suffering volunteers who kindly provide us all with the efforts of their own time and hard work.

I agree with you, but there are exceptions......

If you are, and I NOT going to call them noobs, INEXPERIENCED, and you are conned into believing that this is all as easy as pie,,,,

then you don't realize the enormous work and effort put in by the REAL developers and researchers! Most people expect it to be like WindBlows, just "stick in the DVD and reboot" but alas once you have lost you OS partition and you are stuck, the hard reality sets in, this of course after you have settled from your main panic attack! Realizing that you either messed up your work's computer or your dad's laptop is regretably a sudden jolt back to reality!

There are however many that post, sometimes their FIRST or FITH post, to thank everybody for their help. these guys are not always superhumans with extraordinary mental abillities but guys that research, calculate and asess the procedures before they start! I remeber when i wanted to have a go at this, the first thing I did was buy a 40GB 2,5" HDD from e-bay to swopout my existing drive and th 6 days I had to wait for it to arrive was ample enough time to do may final research!! I also remeber NOT sleeping for 47 hours the day the drive arrived!! 47 hours 18 complete installations(now many, many more) and I have never looked back!

StiCMAN

• 2 weeks later...

I want to say, I'm a noob/inexperienced guy. And I admit it. I went through this forum inside out around and about and I still am reading and reading. I must have re-installed the Kalyway disc a good 30+ times by now getting to where I am (and I don't think I'm done installing).

Have I learned much? Yes.

Have I utilized this board? Yes.

Have I asked stupid questions? Probably.

Have I asked a question without trying to search for the answer? Never.

But let me say, I would probably ask less stupid questions if the search function was a little better or this forum was better organized. I find myself seeing mutiple duplicated topics all saying the same things. I find searching on a string may not turn up results when I know there's a topic on it somewhere. I find myself on here more than the OSx86 wiki where I think most of this information should be. I see there are multiple wiki's out there people create cause they don't want to manage their forum topic. (just today I found an answer to a question I asked buried in page 40-something of a 100+ page topic, in a forum I wouldn't have even guessed)

I love this forum. But as a noob, please don't be at haste to criticize us who are trying to learn. As you all know, this is a difficult subject as is. Some of us just really have trouble finding answers using some of these tools.

When I came here I pretty shortly after got boored/frustrated from reading replys saying "do the homework cause we did". Does it really have to be you´re lazy only cause you find it hard finding your way round all these thousands of threads and with a forum search that at least used to be midly said worthless. Don´t know about how it is these days it might have improved, I´ve got my computers working pretty ok now so I don`t have to do all that searching no more.

I bet moast people that come here just wanna get their PCs to run Mac OS and could´nt care less how it´s done they just want it to work. That does´nt automaticly mean they´re ungreatfull but probably just that they are not interested and fascinated in programming and other complecated computer stuff the same way as a developer (might not be the right word my first language is not english) would be.

Me personally I´m ever so ever so greatfull for all the info I managed to dig up here about what hardware to get and how to make it work but I´m just so uninterested in all this hichtech stuff and to worship just about anybody at all so probably I´ll just buy the Efix thing just to save me some time in the future.

But this does´nt mean I´m not greatfull oh no not at all, I love all you hard working guys that made this possible. It´s just that I don´t share your interest for computer tech stuff, I just need the cheapest easiest way I possibly can find to get a mac to be able to make the music I want so I´m moving on.

Thanks guys, I really mean this.

Google indexes most of the forum very well, so a handy hint for those researching -

!!! USE GOOGLE !!!

For example, try searching the insanelymac forum Google indexes for your keywords by searching Google for "insanelymac keyword"

My favourite way to find something particular across this and other related forums is just to use Google with sensible community keywords such as 'osx86' and 'hackintosh' before the main topic you are looking for. Nine times out of ten insanelymac tends to have the answers, indexed by the clever Google spiderbots ...

What has happened to the HCL?

an updated 10.5.5 compatibility list would be very useful to those attempting to do their research.

how does one edit the existing list?

it is frustrating to look at the HCL and see out of date or conflicting info, or cards like the 9800GT not mentioned at all, even though one could find the card in the signature of 25 people here

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always amazed at the folks that post first post on the root of a discussion for help. Not much patience. If U'r NOT gonna pay for a Apple Mac, U are gonna have to pay with some "research" and patience.

I think the site admins are getting tired. I agree, the HCL is out of date and not being used which is too bad as it is a great resource. I understand why it isn't being used, it is a bit hard for a lot of people to add their hardware.

Also Rammjet did a heroic job a couple of years ago in creating those lists of tutorials. Those were most helpful when I was building my first hackies. It would sure be nice to see those updated.

In a way it is a good sign that the computer literacy level of the average hackintosh builder is going down to a more common user level but it does put a lot of stress on the support side of things.

I rely on the local search and using google search a lot now adays.

Khan