Logic for recording live audio

evolt

36 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Our church will be getting a 40 Channel Mixing console, 2x Motu 24 I/O and a G5. The question is Logic the best solution to record all 40 (well maybe not all 40) channels? We will do this when we have a concert going on.

Thanks in advance

Hi evolt,

I'm not 100% sure as I don't use Logic in the same way - but i can tell you that because it is designed for Mac then it is the best option for Mac.

It is very user friendly, and doesn't take long to learn the basics. I run a small record label in London, and we use Logic to master all our records, whether for Vinyl, CD or Mp3....

It's great, I hope it works for you, and I hope my little bit of info was helpful somehow

Hey guys,

Our church will be getting a 40 Channel Mixing console, 2x Motu 24 I/O and a G5. The question is Logic the best solution to record all 40 (well maybe not all 40) channels? We will do this when we have a concert going on.

Thanks in advance

Nice toys...very jealous

First of all, what the hell?!...

It'd do the job but personally I'd check out Digital Performer. I really hate Logic for audio, especially editing...

DP is in NO WAY better than logic!! not for anything-studio or live!!!! Nothing handles MIDI or audio editing better - all the pro studios have logic systems...

evolt,

Logic will work fine for recording 40 audio channels - the MOTU 24 I/Os will take the hit of the processing power, so the only limitation will be your hard drive... your hard drive's speed will determine how much data can be written to disk at once. If i were you, id do a test run with it first or just get hold of a the fastest hard drive you can find...

And yes it will be fine for recording the whole thing - again, the only limit is how much space is on the hard drive youre writing to.

I would not advise using DP to record that much audio - the audio engine is nowhere near as good.

-JD-

Thanks JD. We'll be getting a G5 with 500GB. Is that good enough? I think G5 doesn't use the raptors or 10K rpm hard drives but I'm not sure.

By the way is there a good dvd on how to use logic? I'm still learning to use it. I use the sony products for our editing but since we're switching to macs I'm trying to learn how to use apple's pro line apps

1) Why would you need to record 40 tracks at once? You mixer will have busses will it not?

2) Get nuendo or cubase.. Stay away from logic and DP.. or, if you can afford it, Pro tools.

I've been in the industry a long time.. If you need will picking out gear PM me.

all the pro studios have logic systems...

Ah, I think Pro Tools is the industry standard if I'm not mistaken. If you with that ALL or even MOST studios use logic then you haven't been in alot of studios :(

DP is in NO WAY better than logic!! not for anything-studio or live!!!! Nothing handles MIDI or audio editing better - all the pro studios have logic systems...

I disagree greatly. Logic is better for MIDI but it's a pain for audio in my opinion. DP is leagues above Logic in the audio department (I've used Logic since 5, but I'm a ProTools user mainly). You haven't been in many studios if you think they all have Logic...

I know many pros that use DP as their main DAW for studio and live recording and I like it better than Nuendo or Cubase myself.

I know many pros that use DP as their main DAW for studio and live recording and I like it better than Nuendo or Cubase myself.

When it comes to proformance, Nuendo and Cubase SMASHES DP. When it comes to stability, agian SMASHES DP!! Steinberg makes better use of phyical memory and also, VST and VSTi run more efficently then AU and MAS or even RTAS plugs... need I go on?

Ok, lets clear this up.

Pro tools is good if all you want to do is record audio and do NOTHING to it...the editing is awful-takes me at least 3 times as long to do stuff in pro tools as in logic, and the multitool is the most fiddly thing in the universe and does more harm than good.

If all of you want to challenge me on the "industry standard" thing go ahead....for a start i'm in england (dont know if that makes any difference) and i work in the music industry so i have been working in all the big studios for a while now...

Im not talking about poncy little band studios where all they do is record audio and chop bits apart (and i can speak from first hand experience - ive done the band thing). Im talking about studios where theyre triggering the vienna symphonic library from 7 top of the range audio computers using one g4 mac running...guess what...logic. Try doing that with pro tools...if you didnt burst a blood vessel just trying to set it all up, you would when you had to enter MIDI data.

Plus, for audio editing....what can possibly be more useful than having an actual audio editor pop up when you want to do something more complicated than just chopping up a file? Being able to select regions without having to worry about whether the bloody multitool is doing the wrong thing (and if you take it off, everything takes twice as long as you have to switch tools every 5 seconds) and having more features than you could ever use up within a separate part of the program.

Have a look around the net - you'll see that all the respectable pros are using logic now, and if there are some that arent they will be soon.

Pro tools is good if all you want to do is record audio and do NOTHING to it...the editing is awful-takes me at least 3 times as long to do stuff in pro tools as in logic, and the multitool is the most fiddly thing in the universe and does more harm than good.

3 times? That's hilarious. Editing audio, especially drums in Logic is a pain in the arse. With ProTools quick keys and tab transient editing drums is a dream, and plenty fast. You're the only Logic user I've EVER heard say editing audio in ProTools is faster. And I've never had multi-tool problems so...

If all of you want to challenge me on the "industry standard" thing go ahead....for a start i'm in england (dont know if that makes any difference) and i work in the music industry so i have been working in all the big studios for a while now...

Well it's definately not that way in the USA or Canada, for music or post, I'll tell you that much. Many major music studios have it, but it's a secondary DAW in support of ProTools if they need to do something extensive with MIDI. Pretty much the only people I run into who use Logic as a main DAW or exclusively are film composers.

Plus, for audio editing....what can possibly be more useful than having an actual audio editor pop up when you want to do something more complicated than just chopping up a file?

I actually find that annoying... I'd rather have the audio editor in front of me at all times for editing, like ProTools.

Being able to select regions without having to worry about whether the bloody multitool is doing the wrong thing (and if you take it off, everything takes twice as long as you have to switch tools every 5 seconds) and having more features than you could ever use up within a separate part of the program.

Sounds to me you don't know your quick keys or how to point a cursor very well... I don't have those problems. And thanks to tab transient I don't really use my mouse at all for editing.

Have a look around the net - you'll see that all the respectable pros are using logic now, and if there are some that arent they will be soon.

All of them? -_-

Like??? give us some examples!! I'd love to hear you back up that statement. -_-

http://www.apple.com/pro/musicaudio/

I have a massive list as well as this of logic users as i am programming in logic for my dissertation...

Right, "Quickkeys" is a pile of rubbish, you end up doing stuff you dont want to because the shortcuts just aren't logical...

SPLASTiK - How the hell can editing drums be any easier than using a keyboard editor? Plus, MIDI regions in logic are FAR easier to handle as theyre treated as audio...

Over here in the pro studios it seems to be the other way round with pro tools/logic. There's a massive studio complex in central london where i work that has had most of the hits in the last 10 years come out of it - each studio is owned independently - and there isnt one pro tools user there. There's plenty of people with a pro tools hardware rig, but these are all people who use hardware as well as software and for that you need Logic. You just can't do it with pro tools or nuendo.

FYI, im lightening fast when using sequencers, i have a speedpad which has macros programmed into it for one touch multiple keystrokes. Can't do that with PT. Plus, if i wasnt any good why would it be my job, not a hobby?

Also, OPTiK and SPLASTiK? i wonder if these two names are related at all? ;) you're possibly what, a production team or something?

-JD-

"each studio is owned independently - and there isnt one pro tools user there."

Yeah because they can aford a PT HD rig. LOL

"FYI, im lightening fast when using sequencers, i have a speedpad which has macros programmed into it for one touch multiple keystrokes. Can't do that with PT."

But can be done in Nuendo http://www.euphonix.com/video/system_5-mc_...ve_tushar_7.htm

"Also, OPTiK and SPLASTiK? i wonder if these two names are related at all? :) you're possibly what, a production team or something?"

No, but that does sound like a good idea. Because we have way better tastes in DAW Apps. What do ya say Splastik? wanna start up something?

"each studio is owned independently - and there isnt one pro tools user there."

"FYI, im lightening fast when using sequencers, i have a speedpad which has macros programmed into it for one touch multiple keystrokes. Can't do that with PT."

But can be done in Nuendo http://www.euphonix.com/video/system_5-mc_...ve_tushar_7.htm

"Also, OPTiK and SPLASTiK? i wonder if these two names are related at all? :) you're possibly what, a production team or something?"

No, but that does sound like a good idea. Because we have way better tastes in DAW Apps. What do ya say Splastik? wanna start up something?

Hmm.....

There's plenty of people with a pro tools hardware rig, but these are all people who use hardware as well as software and for that you need Logic. You just can't do it with pro tools or nuendo.

Thought i made that clear?

Lol, and as if sequencer taste actually makes any difference whatsoever in production quality....some of the best producers are more comfortable using a simmons portakit and an MPC...

Plus, going on about sequencer choices between the US and UK...one of the producers i know in the US works for universal music in LA and guess what sequencers in his PRO TOOLS RIG studio? It sure ain't HD.

-JD-

before i get a protools hd system, i get 2x g5 quad and logic node them...that´s real performance power. :dev:

dsp systems are for professionals who need 120 tracks and more...native systems for music production is the deal. so get logic. :)

before i get a protools hd system, i get 2x g5 quad and logic node them...that´s real performance power. :)

dsp systems are for professionals who need 120 tracks and more...native systems for music production is the deal. so get logic. :dev:

:) that's a point! i didnt even think about telling Nuendo boy about logic nodes. :D

-JD-

before i get a protools hd system, i get 2x g5 quad and logic node them...that´s real performance power. :D

dsp systems are for professionals who need 120 tracks and more...native systems for music production is the deal. so get logic. :D

Good for you... want a cookie?

:D that's a point! i didnt even think about telling Nuendo boy about logic nodes. :D

-JD-

I would think only logic user would give 2 s**ts about logic nodes... all 2% of them LOL