ATIX600 QE CI SOLVED FOR LEOPARD

lunux

66 posts in this topic

I have an ATI Radeon Mobility AGP 9600/9700 graphics chip in my laptop and therefore tried breteso's method and achieved the same results. I get QE & CI but with the same video faults as described. The files i used are slightly different because i have been trying out a few different combinations. At the moment, the files are as follows:

ATIRadeon9700.kext - I believe it is from a 10.4.x build because it's version is 1.4.40.4 (get this from the Acer X700 bundle)

ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin - taken from 10.5.2 build (modified so framebuffer says CallistoFB)

ATIRadeon9700VADriver.bundle - taken from beta build 10.5, ver 1.5.0.12

ATIRadeon9700DVDDriver.bundle - taken from beta build 10.5 ver 1.5.0.12

ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle - patched version from 10.5.2 ver 1.5.24.9

Callisto.kext - version taken from Acer X700 bundle

CallistoHAL.kext - version taken from Acer X700 bundle

AGPGart - Ver 1.0 taken from 10.4.8 build (tried other versions but they just cause my system to hang)

The 10.5 beta files can be found HERE (look for post #281)

I followed the instructions on how to patch the 9700GLDriver from this thread so others should be able to do the same.

attached is a screenshot of my profiler.

Things not working are DVD (no picture but can hear sound), Screensaver (non of them work), Video files Divx, AVI, Mpeg, all black screen. On the plus side my system does appear to run alot faster than it did without QE & CI. I'm happy to put up with these small problems at the moment.

10.5.5_with_QE___CI.tiff

• 4 weeks later...
working kext for ATI radeon ID 5462 , if you use it please change before your card ID in Callisto, Atiradeon kext

ATIQECIX600

Could someone really dumb the instructions down for me? I really don't know how to install kexts etc, or about what to do with Callisto. I've searched on the forums and google, and there are heaps of posts where people are talking about the necessity to do this sort of stuff for their devices, but for the life of me I can't find anywhere explaining how to do it.

I have an ATI Radeon PRO 256mb PCI-E card (not sure the device id but from other posts, maybe it's 5b62 - how do I find this out), and I've successfully installed and run Kalyway 10.5.2, but can only get one resolution: 1024 x 768.

Can someone please explain what I need to do with the downloaded archive (ATIX600QECI.rar)? Sorry for the noobiness but there's a lot of folders and files in that archive and lots have the same name in different folders etc. I just need it to be a bit more step-by-step. Thanks in advance.

please inform ID of your card you can find in systemprofiler

bye

The device ID is 3e50.

I'm a bit further down the track now, and thanks to Callisto 008, I have multiple resolutions. Still no QE/CI though.

What I want to know is this: in the ATIX600QECI.rar you have provided, there are many folders and files. Assuming I'll leave the Callisto ones out (already working resolution change), which ones of the 6 ATI* folders do I have to modify? Which files exactly within which folders?

thanks,

Ian

nothing to change in ATI kext your ID is almost in plist file try it!

Ok, great. But I'm still confused as to exactly which of the folders to put in kext helper... Inside the rar file I have these folders:

ATINDRV.kext

ATIRadeon9700.kext

ATIRadeon9700DVDDriver.bundle

ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin

ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeon9700VADriver.bundle

as well as the Callisto ones. Can you just give me a little bit more detail as to what I am supposed to do?

cheers,

Ian

Ok, I've got it working now.

For anyone else who was confused as to what exactly the instructions were...here's what I did:

Callisto for resolution change

To install Callisto, I went to
and downloaded the final build (008). In that archive there's an installation.html which, in a nutshell, tells you to do 2 things, as well as a few cleanup commands.

Firstly, you need to find your video card's device ID in "About this mac"/more info/Graphics. Mine was
0x3e50
for the Gigabyte ATI Radeon x600 PRO 256mb PCI-E card. As outlined in the installation.html, put that into the CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/Info.plist file at the location specified.

Secondly, you need to put in the EDID of your monitor. I suspect that this may not be totally necessary in all cases (but that's just a gut feeling). Now that I have 1280 x 1024 running I'm pretty sure I could swap out for another monitor which also supports that resolution. Am yet to try. Anyway instructions in the installation.html. There are also a couple of Mac options for obtaining the EDID so you don't have to boot into windows just to get this. See
which mentions SwitchResX and DisplayConfigX. (Oh, one more thing: the Callisto instructions mention not leaving out the < and > characters surrounding the EDID hex value, but I found that to be erroneous given that the Property List Editor does this for you, so don't try to paste in a value containing those characters. At least if you're using the top half of the PLE window. I expect if you're using the text part below then that still applies.)

QE/CI activation

The simple answer to what was bugging me (see my question in the post above) was that you drag
all
the folders (apart from the Callisto ones which you've already dealt with above) into KextHelper. So that means the 6 folders named ATI*, whether they end with .kext or .bundle or .plugin. I put them all in and ran it and it worked. Note: KextHelper isn't exactly rock solid - at one point it tried to run my root password as a shell script and gave an error! But just restarted KH and all was fine. After running in KH, I just did a sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext, then rebooted.

After all that, QE/CI is activated. Top menu bar doesn't have the apple logo but I think I'll live with that. I do think there's some weight to the argument that this is not fully activated (and may be just partially activated / partially tricking the OS into thinking it's activated) because video effects such as minimising windows with the genie effect are nowhere near as smooth as on my real iMac, which uses an ATI card with half the memory of this one. Regardless, I'm really happy with my hackintosh now, and only wanted it for non-video-intensive programs (which required QE/CI for install nonetheless, e.g. Logic). I'm nowhere near an expert but happy to answer questions about what I did.

cheers,

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How do i undo my QE? I used this method, but now i have mouse screen tearing, which i didnt have with Callisto, and everything is lagier...

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have instruction like this for device ID 5b62???

I could only get the right resolution with Callisto 008, but nothing else, no QE/CI, slow in viewing pictures.

Help is much appreciated.

here the grabbed image

yes it is possible

Instructions.

thanks to enniotosh and flashgz and a my little effort

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...129619&st=0

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry866452

download this package ati_x600_ID5462.pkg.zip

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=32953

install it -change your ATI ID in ATIRADEON9700 info.plist

do not reboot

navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/ . Inside there, right click on the kext: ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.Bundle and click Show Package Contents. Go into the contents folder then the MacOS folder and there will be a file called ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver. Copy this to your desktop. Once on your desktop, Rename the file to this EXACTLY. ATIRadeon9700GLDriver. Then copy the file and navigate back to /System/Library/Extensions/. This time right click on ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.Bundle and go Show package contents. Move through the contents folder to the MacOS folder and paste the file there. It will ask for a password and make sure you replace the file!!!!

do not reboot

install natit.kext into a fresh Kext helper. install the kext but dont reboot i used natit edited -chenge ATI ID in info.plist

Open the Terminal from utilities.It is essential that you type the following commands correctly:

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDVR.kext

It will ask you for your password, enter it and all should go smoothly.

Next repair permissions:

diskutil repairPermissions /

When thats done, all thats left to do is remove the extensions.mkext!

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

I hope is usefull for all the people with old ATI card

lunux

ok more instructions

open the package ati_x600_ID5462.pkg.zip (show package contents) go to atiradeon9700 and change ID number cause this package is for ATIrdeon x600 ID 5462

if you need here is natit but please before installing

put your ATI ID number (my number was 5462)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...