Voodoo Kernel BETA 2 - Available now

mercurysquad

325 posts in this topic

There are so many people who cannot suspend/resume that I have stopped accepting bug reports for suspend/resume issues. Suspend/resume support is done as far as the kernel is concerned. If you can't resume, it's a kext problem.

It cannot be, since all of my kexts are vanilla, all of them but AppleDecrypt, AppleIntelPIIXATA (for chipset), AppleCPUPMDisabler and SMBIOSEnabler. Also, with the previous kernel it used to work. So it cannot be because of the kexts. Please consider this, for the sake of the project.

Hello,

anyone has magic busratio formula for Intel centrino on laptop ?

thnaks a lot

If is interesting for the geek and sage people

I used a preinstalled leopard toh on ss2 toshiba satellite,installed dsmos.kext then

upgrade to 10.5.5, installed smsbiosenabler and chameleon installer, finally Voodoo kernel and chunan kext everything fine works as charme.

It cannot be, since all of my kexts are vanilla, all of them but AppleDecrypt, AppleIntelPIIXATA (for chipset), AppleCPUPMDisabler and SMBIOSEnabler. Also, with the previous kernel it used to work. So it cannot be because of the kexts. Please consider this, for the sake of the project.

I know but unfortunately I don't have the time/energy to debug every single sleep/resume issue among all the millions of possible combinations, specially when you have no way to reproduce and/or test it because you simply don't have that hardware. You can't run a serial or firewire cable to the faulty machine and run gdb that way. There is just no way and no debug information to work with when a resume doesn't work. Maybe someone who does have the motivation will pick it up from where we leave it off. Sources will be released of course with final kernel. There are many things which can be improved.

I've disabled sleep because I have no use for it. However, after I turn off my LCD - when I turn it back on the screen goes entirely blue and doesn't return. I'm pretty sure it's still functional but the display isn't changing so I have to restart the computer from there.

What feature is this? I'm pretty sure that's not sleep mode. (Or is it?) This has been an issue for me before using the Voodoo kernel as well.

Very interesting news here!

I found out that sleep/wake up works also with this kernel, but ONLY if I connect both mouse and keyboard as PS2 devices when starting up. If I connect them as USB, it doesn't work.

If I connect them as USB once I've started the PC and then I go to sleep, it wakes up normally, so that means that this issue is related with the loading of something.

WHAT COULD IT BE?!?!? Any ideas?

(BTW, I have to say that according to these new findings, this beta2c works for everything, including sleep)

just a short question:

i installed leo4all like before and than just changed the mach_kernel with the voodoo one. is that all to do?

ok, it is rock steady on my athlon x2 6000+ and the mouse problem totally gone.

but, do i have to do more than just to change the kernel? copying kext? replacing some files? or is it just this..

First page of included PDF:

Installing the kernel

When you unzip the archive, you will find a file named voodoo_beta2. Simply copy this file to your Leopard

partition's root folder and you're ready to test! Note: Always keep a backup copy of your current kernel

handy, so you can boot into it if Voodoo beta kernel does not work for you. It is recommended to copy the

Voodoo kernel to your hard-drive as /voodoo_beta2 (not as mach_kernel!) and boot into it by typing voodoo_beta2 -v at the bootloader prompt.

SMBIOS and other kexts

It is recommended to use a vanilla System.kext from Leopard 10.5.5 (Intel users only)

It is recommended to use a vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext along with Chun-Nan's AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

Hi there, I posted my report on your google issues board, yesterday. Acer 4720z, movie running very fast on Video Lan Player, though soundtrack also stuttering this time which it wasn't on beta 1. Need to read through this thread tomorrow morning. Keep it up, guys :D

Initial signs seem very good here with Beta2C -

Sleeps okay (and wakes - but not back to desktop - to a white screen only?)

Shuts down perfectly, Sound and Video no issues, TSC fine, does 64-Bit

also seems snappier than vanilla kernel - could this be my imagination?

My CPU is overclocked so guessing that might affect things ...

Overall, very interesting, thanks for the hard work and keep it up guys :star_smile:

will keep tinkering and trying a few different kexts and speedstep apps with it.

Still need to go through the test procedure methodically at a sane hour but VLC Player seemed to work fine on both sound and vision. Excited, now. Need to make absolutely sure beta2 kernel installed properly, as I replaced failed beta 1 with the old speedstep 9.2.0 kernel and it was 4am when I set up beta 2! Laptop dual Core processor, rather than C2D. Keen to try this on Pentium D, also. Good on you, guys. :)

EDIT - information is incorrect, I was correct that trying this at 4am was a bad idea, though; I had booted instead into my other OS X partition where I am using the 9.2.0 speedstep kernel without issue.

TSC test 5 usually gives 0 seconds, but about 1 out of 7 times i get 1 second difference, and once i saw a 2 second difference (tested about 20 times)

That's just because of network congestion. If you run

time nc time.nist.gov 13

you can find about how long on an average it takes to get a response from the time server. Test_5 checks with the server twice so if you got say 0.5 sec response time, that's already 1 sec total. In the future we'll correct for this in the test, for now just added a 1 second tolerance.

I have to tell you ..this is rock stable!

I took a screenshot from my desktop running a cpu stress test on my Athlon64 x2 4600+ 2.4ghz overclocked to 2.87ghz running a video on youtube with perfect sound and acessing

everything in a click! Damn fast this is now!!!!!!

It is so rock solid that i never , but never, got beyond 2.5 - 2.6ghz tops on overclock in windows and not even in osx86 itself!!!!

Now im on 2.87 fully stable!!!!!

Picture4-1.png

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!

If this is like this being a Beta.... i cant imagine how it will be final!

Superb!!!!!

Edit> Only one thing...the little {censored} sleeps but cant wake up properly...but hey.. i dont use sleep anyway!

I noticed when loading the following inscription:

kernel AMD: disabling C1 clock ramping (node 0)

This is the way it should be?

Yes this is for fixing the mouse/timing issues a lot of Athlon X2 users are (were!) reporting.

will the latest beta/final release fix the cpu=1 option for nforce based chipset?

Yes it does. Try out beta 2c.

First an apology, please see my corrected post above. I am still having issues, now worse with beta2 because sound consists of clicks instead of music, still movies playing much to fast under VLC player. I updated my post on the issues board having re-run tests. Processor is Intel dual-core T2330.

Is there a way I can stop my dual opterons (sse2) just rebooting as soon as the kernel tries to load?

Forcing a kernel panic doesn't allow me to see the errors at all, it just reboots immediately.

Is there any other way I can try and give you guys some useful data to help me out :)

Cheers for the great work!

scooby