Voodoo Kernel BETA 2 - Available now

mercurysquad

325 posts in this topic

I have LawlessPPC 10.5.4 installed on my AMD Phenom, upgraded to 10.5.5 with patched update and yesterday updated with 2008-007 Security Update with voodoo_beta2c without patching.

But I'm newbee for Hacintosh, must I use this kext (for AMD with Chameleon)?

SMBIOS and other kexts

It is recommended to use a vanilla System.kext from Leopard 10.5.5 (Intel users only)

It is recommended to use a vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext along with Chun-Nan's AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

I have LawlessPPC 10.5.4 installed on my AMD Phenom, upgraded to 10.5.5 with patched update and yesterday updated with 2008-007 Security Update with voodoo_beta2c without patching.

But I'm newbee for Hacintosh, must I use this kext (for AMD with Chameleon)?

With beta2c you mostly just need to patch the PrivateFrameworks folder. All other apps will run un-patched. Beta 3 should require no patching at all but we're still working on it.

With this voodoo_beta2 and XNU 9.4 also I have such periodical messages in console

Oct 19 22:45:19 javum kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=1403[systemUIServer] clearing CS_VALID

Oct 19 22:45:19 javum kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=1404[Finder] clearing CS_VALID

Oct 19 22:45:19 javum kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=1405[ATSServer] clearing CS_VALID

or

Oct 19 22:59:15 javum kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=1514[lssave] clearing CS_VALID

Oct 19 22:59:20 javum kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=1515[lssave] clearing CS_VALID

But everything works. 

Are this messages important?

With this voodoo_beta2 and XNU 9.4 also I have such periodical messages in console

or

But everything works. 

Are this messages important?

Those message are normal. It just means these binaries have been patched on the fly. This warning is removed now for next beta.

Hy mercurysquad,

Probably i will make a question that as been answered already but here goes:

I read this on the oficial page at google:

Thanks to great work done by kaitek, we are pleased to announce that Voodoo kernel will include an on-the-fly cpuid/opcode patcher. This will bridge the divide between intel and AMD users, as it nullifies the need to patch any binaries for AMD

My question is, This means that we AMD users will have the ability to run vanilla installs on our machines without any kind of patching for the binaries but will still have to patch the CPUIDs ?

PS: 100 posts!!!! (loool.... i shouldnt be so proud....more than a year to make 100 posts..loool)

But..what about CPUIDs?

This means that we still have to use Zephiroth's ASU to patch the CPUIDs ?

NO! Heh. It can't be any clearer: you don't need to patch any binaries for AMD. No CPUID patching needed, no Zephyroth or Marvin's needed. You can update straight from Apple Software Update. You only need the special kexts etc. for your devices, just like intel users who boot/install from retail DVD.

In case others are wondering: I received an email this morning, while I was sleeping, Voodoo Labs has already had success booting retail on AMD (thanks to kaitek, Dense, Eureka et al). Beta3 should be out before the next weekend.

Like i said...im a dumb tester...lool.

BTW these are very good news... finally someone cares about AMD users :P

This is going to be a extraordinary revolution on how AMD users will start to look at OSX86.

Looking forward to test beta 3.

@Mercurysquad: Thank you for you patience on replying to my dumb questions.

I have a Asus Dual Board with 2 Xeon Cpus 3GHz SSE2 with 10.5.5 and voodoo 9.4 Kernel. All work fine.

Now I test the voodoo_beta2 Kernel. I have Kernel Panic.

Then I start with "voodoo_beta2 busratio=20" and it work fine.

I have the latest Chameleon 1.0.11 installed.

How can i hardcode now the busratio=20, so that i can boot permanetly with that!

Thanks

NO! Heh. It can't be any clearer: you don't need to patch any binaries for AMD. No CPUID patching needed, no Zephyroth or Marvin's needed. You can update straight from Apple Software Update. You only need the special kexts etc. for your devices, just like intel users who boot/install from retail DVD.

In case others are wondering: I received an email this morning, while I was sleeping, Voodoo Labs has already had success booting retail on AMD (thanks to kaitek, Dense, Eureka et al). Beta3 should be out before the next weekend.

then is can install leopard retail on amd?? this is possible as install retail on intel??

WOWOWOWOWOWOW

you, and all devolepers of voodoo labs ARE YOU ....... I do not know what to say :(;)

Will there be any issues mixing patched and unpatched binaries with beta3? Or will it just intercept any cpuid messages and translate them on the fly, so it doesn't matter what the cpuids of the binaries are?

hey guys, i´m using right now IDENEB 10.5.5 and vanilla kernel, (charmeleon)

what´s the best way to update to voodoo kernel??

someone help me?

i´m using core2duo e4400

mobo: GA-P35C-DS3R

thanks guys

First, with your C2D CPU is no really need for that kernel, but if you want to help its dev, the best way to use an

Kernel Install Helper or the OSX86 Tool, which can install Kernel (with backing up old) and do much other things.

The main reason / big advantage for this great kernel is today for NON C2D, NON CD CPU Users like AMD, P4, CeleronM.

I have tried beta 1 and two on my AMD dual core hack' and it's mostly good, the only thing that is happening is that when I run portable thunderbird the machine immediatly freezes, no panic just a complete lockup... I dont know if this is jsut my installation as since updating to 10.5.5, each time I start thunderbird, I get a crash warning 'Cocoa Dialog has quit' though the program continues to run and function....

First, with your C2D CPU is no really need for that kernel, but if you want to help its dev, the best way to use an

Kernel Install Helper or the OSX86 Tool, which can install Kernel (with backing up old) and do much other things.

The main reason / big advantage for this great kernel is today for NON C2D, NON CD CPU Users like AMD, P4, CeleronM.

thanks for the answer,

i just want to install a new kernel because i´m having some problems with this.

i´m getting some kernel panics, in 4 or 5 times per day, and i can´t fix this....

maybe if i change the kernel i can fix the problem?

thanks

when I run portable thunderbird the machine immediatly freezes, no panic just a complete lockup...

If you boot with debug=0x100 bootflag, in many cases you can get the kernel panic message over your screen which you can then photograph and attach with a bug report.

what´s the best way to update to voodoo kernel??

Download the .zip file from the webpage linked on the first post, then read the included PDF.

Love your kernel!!! I had beta 1 and it was great but firefox froze sometimes, now I have beta 2 and it's perfect!!! I no longer have any keyboard/mouse freezing up on me.... everything works 100%. Even was able to install World of Warcraft on computer. Played for Friday, Sat. & Sun. Straight with not 1 problem.... I must say, this is THE best kernel around... and i've tried them all, lol, for my setup, this one has been the best.