Voodoo Kernel BETA 2 - Available now

mercurysquad

325 posts in this topic

mercurysquad, is there a way to manually disable the opcode patcher for CPUID? I'm having the same problem as hac_a_mac but with Messenger for Mac. Thanks!

Boot with patcher_opts=0 (recommended) or type sudo sysctl -w hw.optional.patcher_opts=0 in Terminal.

@mercurysquad: First I will thank you and your team for your great, no, awesome work for making a Kernel which works on all PC's (Intel, AMD, and even on the 64-Bit mode...). This Kernel is awesome, never had a better one!!!

But I have a question: Is this true, that new Kernels (9.6, etc...) will be out now much faster, because the code/knowledge is now here, ready for use? This would be realy awesome and a big step again :) .

So, you and your Team, keep up the awesome work!!!!

~Blue-K

Beta3 is not yet available.

As for Geekbench: first you need to run Test_5.command and make sure there are no timing issues. If the timing test passes then attach your Geekbench scores from voodoo and another non-voodoo kernel so we can compare and see which area exactly is taking a performance hit.

This time I'm attaching required reports for my machine here.

First, Test_5 result:

post-135311-1226996573_thumb.png

Next, System_Information: Sysinfo.zip

Now after booting with patcher_opts=0 flag, Safari still crashes in the same way it used to before. I am attaching Safari crash log here, safari_crash_log.rtf

hi guys, i have tested voodoo beta2c and everything is working fine... boots up faster than before. but the problem is my sound is stuttering. i added the bootflag busratio=11.5 because the kernel didnt detect it and then it becomes a bit better but it´s almost stuttering. busfrequency is detected with 209 Mhz.

i dont know what i can do to get this fixed, maybe you could help me.

hi guys, i have tested voodoo beta2c and everything is working fine... boots up faster than before. but the problem is my sound is stuttering. i added the bootflag busratio=11.5 because the kernel didnt detect it and then it becomes a bit better but it´s almost stuttering. busfrequency is detected with 209 Mhz.

i dont know what i can do to get this fixed, maybe you could help me.

Athlon with non-integer bus ratio is affected by a bug in chameleon bootloader.

Boot with busratio=115 to fix this. Note no period between 11 and 5 (reading the included docs is supposed to help..)

Amazing work, very impressive indeed.

Specs:

Asus M2M32-SLI Deluxe

Athlon 64 6000+

Netgear GA311 NIC

Had really bad mouse drift and timing issues, system would only be stable 3 hours max. 9.5.0 Beta2c fixed this, up time 60 hours + with good usage. Only issue I am having like mentioned above Photoshop CS4 "Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) : Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000b5b5b5b5" CS3 Works flawless.

This time I'm attaching required reports for my machine here.

First, Test_5 result:

post-135311-1226996573_thumb.png

Next, System_Information: Sysinfo.zip

Now after booting with patcher_opts=0 flag, Safari still crashes in the same way it used to before. I am attaching Safari crash log here, safari_crash_log.rtf

I think I have a timing issue with my processor, isn't it? How can I rectify that?

The Safari Bug seems to be something related to new 3.2 update, so don't bother, it doesn't concern Voodoo.

We were working with 9.4 when we began. When 9.5 source was released, the Voodoo 9.5 kernel was ready in about 15 minutes ;-)

Hi Mercurysquad,

I noticed that the voodoo kernel is about half the size of vanilla kernel.

Is it entirely due to removal of PCC code or there are other reasons for the same.

Also now the efi v9 has been released by Netkas.It is said to have most of the features of Chameleon.

Just wanted to know if the voodoo kernel will be able to use all features of this new version of efi ?

hi,

i booted up with flags: -v -busratio=115 and the kernel detects the multiplier 11.5 and the busfrequency 209,.. (might be the right, i think) but the sound is still bad ;(

is there anything i can do to fix this?

*sorry for my bad english ;)*

try busratio=115 fsb=200000000 (8 zeros = 200 mhz)

note there are no dashes before buratio or fsb. dashes are only used for toggle on/off options like -f -v -x, not for options which specify a key=value pair.

Hi Mercurysquad,

I noticed that the voodoo kernel is about half the size of vanilla kernel.

Is it entirely due to removal of PCC code or there are other reasons for the same.

Also now the efi v9 has been released by Netkas.It is said to have most of the features of Chameleon.

Just wanted to know if the voodoo kernel will be able to use all features of this new version of efi ?

1) No it's only because of removal of PPC code.

2) It should. I have not tested, and haven't talked to netkas yet though.

I think I have a timing issue with my processor, isn't it? How can I rectify that?

The Safari Bug seems to be something related to new 3.2 update, so don't bother, it doesn't concern Voodoo.

I've not checked your logs yet (lack of time), but you might wanna wait a few days and try the release candidate. It should fix timing bugs.

Hi, ive used every single leopard kernel out there and nearly all the releases to. Everytime it gets stuck at apic state and wont continue booting unless i plug in any random usb device!!! I have turned legacy usb off!

If i boot with idlehalt=0 it works without needing to plug a random usb device but this method maxes out my cpu

Can you please fix this in the final kernel.

Its an amd turion laptop with sb600.

I've not checked your logs yet (lack of time), but you might wanna wait a few days and try the release candidate. It should fix timing bugs.
Thanks man, your work is really appreciated. I will wait for the RC now, wish it'll worth the that. BTW I am feeling quite confident with your work and since we are both Indians, feeling homely too! :D

I have a question on the voodoo kernel on your site i now see that there are cpu logos on there and well especially the intel atom processor what would be the gain of using voodoo kernel vs say vanilla kernel?

Reason i ask is im running vanilla on my msi wind running retail and well no issue and rock solid stability. Would there be a performance gain on said processor.