Internal Mic (and External Mic) working for Gateway Laptops using Stac 9205 (reported working with Vostro and other DELLs)

xbc

83 posts in this topic

The only problem is that in the M1530, we had to delete the ConfigData to make the AppleHDA work consistently even after a reboot. Which means that not only do I have to put back the configdata but also figure out a way to do it so that it doesn't stop the sound from working.

Thanks for all the info. I will soon have a look into this.

Well for me it worked without the proper config data but it showed up as a line out but the mic still worked so if you don't care about the aesthetics and want the functionality you can try and give it a go.

Well for me it worked without the proper config data but it showed up as a line out but the mic still worked so if you don't care about the aesthetics and want the functionality you can try and give it a go.

Thanks again....

I think I will try to get the configdata right coz it might lead to a fix for the 1330 sound problems. They cannot delete the config data as it makes the kext useless. So I suspect that configdata does have its uses. Lets see where it leads...

talisman, can you post the PinConfigOverrideVerbs for M1530 if you have Vista? Its not there in XP for me.

Attaching that below....

Strange but I did not have that registry entry in this machine (I have Vista in both), yet sound works perfectly with all config options. I had to get it from my other machine which is the exact same config as yours. Something tell me that the ConfigData is not really that relevant..... only a hunch though...

PinConfigOverrideVerbs.txt

I think I will try to get the configdata right coz it might lead to a fix for the 1330 sound problems. They cannot delete the config data as it makes the kext useless. So I suspect that configdata does have its uses. Lets see where it leads...

The kext isn't entirely useless on the 1330 just the external speakers don't work nor does the auto switching. I can still manually set the output to the headphone jack and get sound.

That link provided above about getting a solid codec dump out of Mandriva with the newest ALSA version looked a bit more promising. I may do that and fiddle around and see if I can get the 1330 working as well a bit later.

The kext isn't entirely useless on the 1330 just the external speakers don't work nor does the auto switching. I can still manually set the output to the headphone jack and get sound.

That link provided above about getting a solid codec dump out of Mandriva with the newest ALSA version looked a bit more promising. I may do that and fiddle around and see if I can get the 1330 working as well a bit later.

The graph attached to my post a few posts back is a graph made from the codec dump from a Linux Distro (Fedora). If you want I can get you the codec dump in text form too.... I just feel too lazy not to reboot my machine.... but codec dumps for 9228s are avalable everywhere.... Ill check if the ALSA project has anything new to offer.

ps. for me nor on board speakers or switching == useless. :D

The graph attached to my post a few posts back is a graph made from the codec dump from a Linux Distro (Fedora). If you want I can get you the codec dump in text form too.... I just feel too lazy not to reboot my machine.... but codec dumps for 9228s are avalable everywhere.... Ill check if the ALSA project has anything new to offer.

ps. for me nor on board speakers or switching == useless. :D

Ah, ok well I guess that makes sense on the useless part. I've already tried doing that from an ALSA 1.0.15 and 1.0.16 dump but not 1.0.17 nor 1.0.18. I was going to get a distro with 1.0.18 and see what I could get to work after dumping that way.

Ah, ok well I guess that makes sense on the useless part. I've already tried doing that from an ALSA 1.0.15 and 1.0.16 dump but not 1.0.17 nor 1.0.18. I was going to get a distro with 1.0.18 and see what I could get to work after dumping that way.

I did not know there was a new ALSA driver until I saw your post. Guess Ill update my Fedora and try a new dump.... weekend will be crazy so I guess Ill start working on it next week....

Which of the kexts, I use gbonilla's and it worked fine on my M1330, autowitching works fine and I like it, hope internal mic will work.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with M1530 Sigmatel 9228 Internal mic, but the auto-switching feature works nicely for speaker/headphone.

I have the same expierence on the M1330, auto switch works but Internal Mic does not.

I don't know why the internal mic is not working, the codecs are nearly identical.

I dumped the codec of my M1530 with Alsa 1.0.17 and node 12 showed as analog internal mic (previous dumps didn't show this) and node 19 as digital internal mic, so gbonilla is using correct node for internal mic, but somehow it doesn't work with M1530. Using node 12 gives "unknown" device in sound input, I used the the pins talisman posted (converted to correct format) and it doesn't change anything, although I am not sure if its going to help on identifying the internal mic or used for cosmetic purposes.

M1530_Sigmatel9228.txt

I don't know why the internal mic is not working, the codecs are nearly identical.

I dumped the codec of my M1530 with Alsa 1.0.17 and node 12 showed as analog internal mic (previous dumps didn't show this) and node 19 as digital internal mic, so gbonilla is using correct node for internal mic, but somehow it doesn't work with M1530. Using node 12 gives "unknown" device in sound input, I used the the pins talisman posted (converted to correct format) and it doesn't change anything, although I am not sure if its going to help on identifying the internal mic or used for cosmetic purposes.

M1530_Sigmatel9228.txt

So I do need to upgrade my alsa and get a new dump.... You will not only have to change the pins I put in but also have to add a few more lines which right now I can't tell you off the top of my head. Will dedicate my Monday to this...!!

M1530_Sigmatel9228.txt

Did the same and got the same results.... did you try to edit the verbs?? I will try to do so tonight....

I am attaching the new codec graph in case someone needs it.

codec2iq5.th.jpg

Hi.

If I am not wrong this is the verb that you have in your kext:

02470fff 
00a71c02 00a71d40 00a71e21 00a71f02 
00b71c20 00b71d91 00b71ea1 00b71f02 
00c71c11 00c71d01 00c71ea3 00c71f40 
00d71c01 00d71d40 00d71e11 00d71f01 
00e71c12 00e71d92 00e71ea1 00e71f02 
00f71c03 00f71d30 00f71e21 00f71f01 
01071c00 01071d01 01071e00 01071f40 
01171c00 01171d01 01171e00 01171f40 
01271c00 01271d01 01271e00 01271f40 
01371c00 01371d01 01371e00 01371f40 
01471c00 01471d01 01471e00 01471f40 
02171c00 02171d01 02171e00 02171f40 
02271c00 02271d01 02271e00 02271f40 
02371c00 02371d01 02371e00 02371f40

Where did you get the first 02470fff from and why did you use it? Thank you.

And The King had suggested that we set all the Sequence entry, the last digit on the first verb sequence, to 0 in all cases. You haven't done so, why??

How the autoswitch is made? I would like this also in my ALC888 :blink:

If you look at the kext I got the autoswitch working by placing the headphones with the speaker under array 1. You can tell this by seeing that under array 1 there is a 0, 1, and 2. 0 is the internal speaker 1 and 2 are the different headphone ports, I still cant get sound out of one of my headphone ports which I'm not sure why but yeah that's how I got autoswitching.

Thanks.

I will try, although I am not sure if my ALC888 headphones could detect when the plug is inserted.

Give it a shot, oh and I messed with the config data but I dont think it made a difference, I put the speaker and both headphones in the same group and made their sequence numbers 0, 1, and 2. If you don't know how to mess with the Configdata you can check out the AppleHDA.kext patcher thread that is stickied.

I actually used your codecgraph and the pathmap for the internal mic is the one ending with NodeID 12 the external being the one ending in 14.

I actually dont have any comments because first off I don't know how to add comments and I continually altered the AppleHDA.kext manually and didn't use a codec. My computer says I have a 9205 but 9228 is what works... I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. I sort of did this whole thing in an unconventional manner so it might be a little strange.

By altering the pin configurations I got it to recognize the mic port as well without killing the internal mic once you unplug it. The one problem is that the mic port shows up as internal mic and no matter what I've tried I can't seem to change it. The other problem still being that I cant get it to auto-switch to the middle headphone port.

If you can mess around with it and get it to be recognized as the external mic that'd be amazing and if you could get the auto-switching working that'd be good too.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

This partially worked for me (Inspiron 1420 with STAC9228):

- Autoswitching internal speakers/headphone jack works.

- Line out jack (middle port) doesn't work.

- Internal mic detected but not working. (what can i do to solve this issue?)

- Mic jack works.

I'm downloading a linux live cd to make a dump and a codec graph of my STAC9228. (Any distro recommendations?) I'll try and modify the kext. I'll post if i get some progress.

Ok, here is my codecgraph:

svg2rasterev1.th.png

It's like the same u are using.

So this makes me wonder: why aren't this kexts working for me (internal mic)?

I'm very tired right now, but i'll keep trying with more paths untill i get this working.

Can anybody explain me how to adjust boost? amp? so i can check if it's not a volume issue?

Give it a shot, oh and I messed with the config data but I dont think it made a difference, I put the speaker and both headphones in the same group and made their sequence numbers 0, 1, and 2. If you don't know how to mess with the Configdata you can check out the AppleHDA.kext patcher thread that is stickied.

I think the configdata is somewhat important because that was causing the reboot problem in the M1530 kexts. Ill have to look into that in more detail....

Ok, here is my codecgraph:

svg2rasterev1.th.png

It's like the same u are using.

So this makes me wonder: why aren't this kexts working for me (internal mic)?

I'm very tired right now, but i'll keep trying with more paths untill i get this working.

Can anybody explain me how to adjust boost? amp? so i can check if it's not a volume issue?

Even if the sound card is the same I have a feeling that at some level they have a difference which is not obvious at a cursory glance... as we have found out now the configdata for the same card on different boards are different, although I am not entirely convinced that it makes a huge difference.... Look here...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1010970

Well it appears that someone has the ALC888 with autoswitch already, I'll give it a try, if doesn't will try my own mods.

Talisman and everyone else on the quest for the internal mic, I've got it working! but, the mic jack doesnt work now and one you plug in a mic into the mic jack the internal mic stops working. On startup the internal mic works, you'll probably have to adjust "boost" because currently I believe it is set too high. I was trying to get auto switching working on the mic but I have yet to get it. I also added auto switching to the headphone port but I couldn't get it to switch to the middle port. Please help out everyone who can, this is for a Dell Inspiron 1525.

XBC, Talisman, and overall gbonilla ( since I have a Dell 1525 as well ;-) ), the kext you posted is great and works much better than any other "9228" kexts I've tried on this machine. Plus, having the internal mic now working is A HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT! Much thanks! But, I've run into an issue. . .

The only time the kext seems to operate after reboot/restart is if I clear all kext/system caches and rebuild them prior to restarting the machine. A "normal" reboot will only present in having the sound inoperable once again.

Any ideas how I might clear this up and make the kext's loading and operation consistent? I'm using HDAEnabler.kext along with your kext. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd hate to have to go back to a WAY inferior audio kext for this machine! Having to clear the caches everytime is not very productive.

Thanks!