Is it worth buying Office 2008 for Excel?

me1405

6 posts in this topic

I recently bought a Mac (for the first time, I am new to the whole Mac experience!) and bought iWork, thinking it would be fine for all my needs. I am a final year student currently trying to write my dissertation which includes creating charts/graphs with huge (1000 cells+) datasets. Having tried this in numbers and getting nowhere, I am now considering buying Office 2008 for the Mac so that I can use Excel. I have however read some bad reviews about Excel 08 also being slow. But will it be a lot faster than Numbers? Numbers is taking absolutely ages to produce a graph of a few 1000 cells when on my HP laptop on Windows using Excel 03 it only takes a few seconds!! Do I buy office (excel) 2008 for my Mac?!

If you really have to use it, go buy it.

I'd suggest you try to find a way to make your excel stuff on windows, then import it.

Office for Mac 2008 is a piece of {censored}. Not because it's by Microsoft, because it simply sucks.

When I started using OS X I thought MSOffice would be more familiar than iWork, and I used Office for Windows a lot before. It's nothing like Office for Windows. It's totally different.

As overhyped as it may seem, it was crappy. Slow, unresponsive sometimes, crashing(excel especially, word is somewhat better at stability), and even though it's Universal, performance stinks. Office 07's (on Vista)speed compared with with this is blazing. Really.

Also, using it is a mess as well. Preferences are hard to find, and it looks like a mess. I personally hated the fact that you had to use inspectors all the time.

I would never ever recommend you Office:mac 08, it's crappy, slow and unstable. Better off OpenOffice.org.