GMA X4500

aldo77

1,615 posts in this topic

Hi Consono,

Thank you so so much for your help. Now, I am able to get 1280x800 resolution. Actually, I did not patch mode 34. After looking at your grub.cfg, I changed mine. Then, I found a bug in my 915resolution.c (I gave the wrong device id there). After I fixed that, everything worked great.

You are welcome! I think I made the same mistake with the PCI ID (used 2a42 instead of 2a40?) :) I'm glad it worked for you even using other linux distribution!

Thanks! Will try the consono patch and 915Resolution as soon as new HDD arrives. Beside that, I see that 915Resolution hack supports 800 series boards as well, so it might be a solution for non-QE native resolution (e.g. 1024x600) for old mininotebooks having 855GM boards! Can't wait till I try that. I will report more in few weeks time if it works on 855 as well...

• 2 weeks later...

hi durga,

i'm using ubuntu 8.10, is the 915 patch work if i installed grub2 using apt?

and which package do i have to install, since there is 5 version of grub2

grub-efi - GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI version)

grub-ieee1275 - GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (Open Firmware version)

grub-linuxbios - GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (LinuxBIOS version)

grub-pc - GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS version)

grub2 - GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (dummy package)

grub2-splashimages - a collection of great GRUB2 splashimages

thank you for your help

Consono / Durga.

I could not install archlinux due to some installation errors. I have installed Ubuntu ,patched the grub2 and when compiling (using configure), am getting compilation errors ( Fixed some, but keep on getting errors). Can you upload the compiled grub2 files?

I will try to replace the compiled 915resolution.c on it, and try to boot and update you guys over the weekend.

Also...Is the display looking bright and crisp after changing to the desired resolution?

hi durga,

thank you for your help

Gozali,

Can you upload the compiled grub2 files? we all can work together to get it solved.. :)

Consono / Durga.

I could not install archlinux due to some installation errors. I have installed Ubuntu ,patched the grub2 and when compiling (using configure), am getting compilation errors ( Fixed some, but keep on getting errors). Can you upload the compiled grub2 files?

I will try to replace the compiled 915resolution.c on it, and try to boot and update you guys over the weekend.

Also...Is the display looking bright and crisp after changing to the desired resolution?

Gozali,

Can you upload the compiled grub2 files? we all can work together to get it solved.. :)

hi cocob,

i haven't installed the grub2 yet, i try to compile the source but i got compilation errors too.. so i asked how about if i install the grub2 using apt, which package do i have to choose?

do you have any suggestion?

hi durga,

thank you for your help

Hi,

Installing grub2 using apt is not going to work. I think, Ubuntu package repository does not have "grub2 with 915resolution".

So, you better take grub2+915resolution source code from http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22927 and compile it.

Consono / Durga.

Gozali,

Can you upload the compiled grub2 files? we all can work together to get it solved.. :(

Hi,

Even I got the compilation errors while compiling in Ubuntu. Reason is GCC compilers installed on my Ubuntu don't support 32-bit compilation (i.e. gcc does not support -m32 bit flag). So, I compiled it on a different 32 bit linux machine on my network. SCPed compiled files onto my ubuntu machine.

I am really sorry that I have deleted those files.

Consono has given some files. They are very helpful once after compiling new grub.

hi cocob,

i haven't installed the grub2 yet, i try to compile the source but i got compilation errors too.. so i asked how about if i install the grub2 using apt, which package do i have to choose?

do you have any suggestion?

Hi,

I am attaching my grub2 compiled files. They should be extracted to /home/dpj/grub2 folder. NOTE: In the attached grub2 build, I have not modified 915resolution.c

For 915resolution.c, 915resolution.mod and grub.cfg, you can look at the zip file sent by Consono.

grub2.tar.gz

Hi,

Installing grub2 using apt is not going to work. I think, Ubuntu package repository does not have "grub2 with 915resolution".

So, you better take grub2+915resolution source code from http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22927 and compile it.

Hi,

Even I got the compilation errors while compiling in Ubuntu. Reason is GCC compilers installed on my Ubuntu don't support 32-bit compilation (i.e. gcc does not support -m32 bit flag). So, I compiled it on a different 32 bit linux machine on my network. SCPed compiled files onto my ubuntu machine.

I am really sorry that I have deleted those files.

Consono has given some files. They are very helpful once after compiling new grub.

Hi,

I am attaching my grub2 compiled files. They should be extracted to /home/dpj/grub2 folder. NOTE: In the attached grub2 build, I have not modified 915resolution.c

For 915resolution.c, 915resolution.mod and grub.cfg, you can look at the zip file sent by Consono.

Hi,

Thanks..Since I cant compile as of now, I can replace the mod file with Consono's one in your grub. But I could not find the 915resolution.mod file in your grub2 attachment. Am I missing something? I am novice..

Hi,

Thanks..Since I cant compile as of now, I can replace the mod file with Consono's one in your grub. But I could not find the 915resolution.mod file in your grub2 attachment. Am I missing something? I am novice..

Hi,

I did not put 915resolution.mod in the attachment.

You can find 915resolution.mod, grub.cfg in the 915.zip file sent by "Consono" in one of his previous posts.

Hi,

You can find 915resolution.mod, grub.cfg in the 915.zip file sent by "Consono" in one of his previous posts.

It's attached in my april 04. post.

Hi,

Hi Durga,

I have downloaded your grub2, but i still confused, what i have to do after i extract it to my home directory

Thank you for your help

Hi Durga /Consono,

I patched the grub2 code and then compiled it in Redhat and moved it back to Ubuntu.

But I could not run make , make install commands on the compiled code and getting errors like

make target not found etc.

So, I copied Durga's code put compiled 915resolution.mode file in it.

"again make and make install commands were not working, because the files were compiled from other system I guess"

Executed the command ./grub-install /dev/sda , no errors.

Restarted the computer, in grub menu selected the osx, but not getting desired video mode

when checking "?video"

what am I missing ? I am Noob.

maybe 1) The grub is not uninstalled properly and still working ..

2) grub2 is not installed properly.

3) I dont know how to compile and install grub2 properly :wacko:

Can anyone help me ?

Note: The following may help others.

I used these steps to do everything:

Steps :

1) untar the grub tarball

(zip file found here:http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22927)

Named http://www.archlinux.org/~ronald/grub2-1.96_20081229.tar.bz2

2) apply the patch (grub2-1.96_20081229-915resolution.patch)

(found here:http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22927)

use the following command :

patch -Np1 -i ../grub2-1.96_20081229-915resolution.patch

3) compiling and installing the patched grub:

./configure --prefix=/opt/grub2-1.96_20081229 &&

make &&

make install &&

/opt/grub2-1.96_20081229/sbin/grub-install /dev/sda

4) If all works , then put the compiled 915resolution.mod in it. reinstall grub2 again.

---------

I DONT KNOW ABOVE STEPS ARE CORRECT. i WILL WRITE A STEP-BY -STEP GUIDE ONCE DONE.

THANKS

cocob

Hi Durga /Consono,

I patched the grub2 code and then compiled it in Redhat and moved it back to Ubuntu.

But I could not run make , make install commands on the compiled code and getting errors like

"again make and make install commands were not working, because the files were compiled from other system I guess"

Restarted the computer, in grub menu selected the osx, but not getting desired video mode

when checking "?video"

3) I dont know how to compile and install grub2 properly :P

Can anyone help me ?

Steps :

make &&

make install &&

[/size]

4) If all works , then put the compiled 915resolution.mod in it. reinstall grub2 again.

---------

I DONT KNOW ABOVE STEPS ARE CORRECT. i WILL WRITE A STEP-BY -STEP GUIDE ONCE DONE.

THANKS

cocob

Hi cocob,

i have followed your steps on my ubuntu but i got these error

cd . && autoconf
/bin/sh: autoconf: not found
make: *** [configure] Error 127

Hi cocob,

i have followed your steps on my ubuntu but i got these error

cd . && autoconf
  /bin/sh: autoconf: not found
  make: *** [configure] Error 127

Install autoconf

using the command

apt-get install autoconf

Hi Durga,

I have downloaded your grub2, but i still confused, what i have to do after i extract it to my home directory

Thank you for your help

Hi gozali, I have already written instructions in my "Apr 4 2009, 09:13 PM" post. Please try to follow them.

Hi Durga /Consono,

when checking "?video"

3) I dont know how to compile and install grub2 properly :wacko:

Can anyone help me ?

Steps :

make &&

make install &&

[/size]

---------

THANKS

cocob

I think you need to add certain commands in your grub config file. To know what commands to add, have a look at grub.cfg provided in 915.zip given by Consono.

I have already written this in my instructions in my 'Apr 4 2009, 09:13 PM' post.

Hi, first, i wanna thank all for this big effort, think it's incredible what we can do to get rid of windows and can't a pay for a real mac. I have been reading about how you customize the driver, I understand a few things, but since I don't know how to program in Ubuntu, and I see, too many people arround here have the same problem so I wonder if it's possible to upload some step by step guide or maybe a pre made driver o something like that, If so, bealive me, some many of us, will be very greatfull. Thanx

hi thank you

i already installed grub2 but i got error when i boot, it said that 915 resolutin only have support for 800/900 chipset

You have to use my "modded" 915resolution.mod from my april 04. post. That supports the x4500.

Its working now ;)

removed grub folder from /boot before installing grub2+915.

Thanks Consono for this wonderful Idea..Thanks Durga for your great support[:D]

*compiled it in Ubuntu without issues.

I'm glad it worked for you,too! :)

You have to use my "modded" 915resolution.mod from my april 04. post. That supports the x4500.

Hi Consono,

I've copied your modded 915resolution.mod and there's no error anymore, but when i type ?video there's no 1280x800x32 resolution on the list.

I install the grub using /grub-install /dev/sda command and replace the 915resolution.mod with yours. I have no clue, is there any step that i miss?

Hi Consono,

I've copied your modded 915resolution.mod and there's no error anymore, but when i type ?video there's no 1280x800x32 resolution on the list.

I install the grub using /grub-install /dev/sda command and replace the 915resolution.mod with yours. I have no clue, is there any step that i miss?

ok, i figure it out, now when i type ?video the famous 1280x800 is there, but i don't have any idea how to boot with 1280x800 resolution video option

ok, i figure it out, now when i type ?video the famous 1280x800 is there, but i don't have any idea how to boot with 1280x800 resolution video option

i'm using this option on boot

"Graphics Mode" = "1280x800x32"

but it end up with 800x600 resolution :P

i'm using this option on boot

"Graphics Mode" = "1280x800x32"

but it end up with 800x600 resolution ;)

Compare your grub.cfg with Consono's one. It may help you. If needed my help, post your grub.cfg file..i can take a look at it.

Guys, this is awesome. I thought there was no hope for these video cards.

Thanks for the hard work, and sharing.

I now have this $298 Compaq 100% working with Atheros wi-fi, Intel HDA audio, and now the Intel Mobile 4 video. This is on Leopard, kalyway, 10.5.1. I would like to upgrade, but I'm scared, now that I have everything working, LOL.

Thanks again guys, very much.

This isn't a fix. This is just fooling safe mode into displaying a widescreen resolution. You're still running in safemode with no Open GL or Quartz video support, so half of the programs for Mac won't run - like iMovie, any games, etc.