Boot0 MBR Boot0 Done Error?

downdowndown

18 posts in this topic

After installing iDeneb v1.3, get

Boot0 MBR

Boot0 Done

and then it goes right back to my primary operating system (windows xp). I heard that I might have to change MBR to GUID but I don't want to format my entire computer...and I don't even know if this will work. According to verbose mode, I am not receiving any kernal panics.

I've tried 9.2.0 sleep, speed, and 9.4.0. I have SSE2 with 900 GMA.

I notice the installing process is a lot shorter than the other OSes that failed to install. Any help?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having sort of the same issue as you guys... I can't get the boot loader to work.

With PC_EFI v8 i get the following output while booting:

boot0: GPT
boot0: HFS+
boot0: booting
boot0: done
HFS+ partition error

Using the latest Chameleon release (1.0.11) i get the following output:

boot1: error

So I'm kinda stuck. I'm on a Intel Q6600 / MSI P45 motherboard (actually using an UEFI BIOS, but I doubt that matters)... 1.5 TB hard drive attached with SATA / AHCI (ICH10R). GeForce 8600 GTS / 512 MB. 6 GB of RAM (DDR3).

The DVD-ROM is attached to a JMicron controller, so I always have to use the Chameleon loader on any install DVDs.

I can boot the system using the iDeneb boot DVD by specifying rd=disk0s2 <options...>, but that means an older ToH kernel is loaded (I'd prefer a vanilla kernel, as I seem to have the right equipment for it), Nvidia graphics doesn't work, and only one CPU core is recognized by OS X. Still a usable system though, and quite fast. :) Network is working.

Also, I formatted the system partition as HFSX (HFS+ with case sentitive file names)... in case that matters to the boot loader.

No its not a part of system. If you have iATKOS 1.0 install disk it has a option called Darwin Boot in Utilities menu from where you can install the bootloader or use OSx86 tools and use Install / Add EFI strings (something like that, I don't remember exact name) option.

Using the latest Chameleon release (1.0.11) i get the following output:

boot1: error

Also, I formatted the system partition as HFSX (HFS+ with case sentitive file names)... in case that matters to the boot loader.

I added HFSX support to Chameleon (boot1h doest this job actually) after the 1.0.11 release, so you can't boot with your current filesystem setup. Anyway using HFSX for system partition isn't a good idea, many applications requires case-insensitive file access, like Adobe CS3 for example.

Here's the updated version of boot1h with HFSX support + minor bugfixes:

http://www.zef.hu/mac/chameleon/1.0.12/boot1h

But doesn't it require Chameleon?

Chameleon is a fork of the original Darwin loader added with fake EFI support by dfe, and it stands up using the same files (boot0, boot1h, boot, etc)

Wonderful! Thank you for that zef. :(

The bootloader now loads, after I dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=1024 count=1'ed my boot drive.

I can see your point about HFSX... I was thinking it's more POSIX-compatible to have the file system allow uppercase and lowercase versions of the same filename. Maybe it's a matter of how you use your computer, though not being able to use CS3 is a drawback.

I still can't fully boot the system unaided though.

My setup is that I have my windows disk at disk0 (first SATA drive, MBR partitioned), and Mac OS X resides on disk1 (second SATA drive, GPT partitioned). I have all boot code and stuff on disk1 and left my disk0 drive untouched by Mac OS X during install (unplugged it actally, just to be safe).

Now, I can make my BIOS boot from my second drive, but Mac OS X still enumerates it as disk1. When I try to do this, Mac OS X just gets stuck at "Waiting for root device". I have tried to tell it explicitly that it should look for disk1s2 (rd=disk1s2... also tried a lot of other combinations in case the enumeration differs...) and even supplied an IODeviceTree path, but it simply refuses to cooperate.

When I strap-boot my system using the iDeneb install DVD I have to specify rd=disk1s2 to make it boot my installed Mac OS X system, and then it works. So I can't really see why it finds my root device when I boot using the DVD, but not when I boot using the boot loader on the hard disk.

Maybe this should be in a new thread. Anyway, I need some advice on how I can make my system find its root device.

Edit: I have since figured out what the issue was, so I'm now booting happily.

• 1 month later...
Wonderful! Thank you for that zef. :)

The bootloader now loads, after I dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=1024 count=1'ed my boot drive.

I can see your point about HFSX... I was thinking it's more POSIX-compatible to have the file system allow uppercase and lowercase versions of the same filename. Maybe it's a matter of how you use your computer, though not being able to use CS3 is a drawback.

I still can't fully boot the system unaided though.

My setup is that I have my windows disk at disk0 (first SATA drive, MBR partitioned), and Mac OS X resides on disk1 (second SATA drive, GPT partitioned). I have all boot code and stuff on disk1 and left my disk0 drive untouched by Mac OS X during install (unplugged it actally, just to be safe).

Now, I can make my BIOS boot from my second drive, but Mac OS X still enumerates it as disk1. When I try to do this, Mac OS X just gets stuck at "Waiting for root device". I have tried to tell it explicitly that it should look for disk1s2 (rd=disk1s2... also tried a lot of other combinations in case the enumeration differs...) and even supplied an IODeviceTree path, but it simply refuses to cooperate.

When I strap-boot my system using the iDeneb install DVD I have to specify rd=disk1s2 to make it boot my installed Mac OS X system, and then it works. So I can't really see why it finds my root device when I boot using the DVD, but not when I boot using the boot loader on the hard disk.

Maybe this should be in a new thread. Anyway, I need some advice on how I can make my system find its root device.

Edit: I have since figured out what the issue was, so I'm now booting happily.

Perhaps it's usefull to some users to post what fixed the problem... Did you use UUID instead of the diskXsY method?

Happy for you that you've got your system up and running... I'm fighting with the EFI partition method and total vanilla install... (also stuck with the bootloader on the EFI partition, and therefore I came on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I have resolved the boot0: MBR / done issue on my computer. It involved 3 individual steps, which I think you can do in any order to be honest.

1. Boot.ini

Boot into XP. Edit boot.ini file-

To view and edit the Boot.ini file:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. -or- Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  3. Under System Startup, click Edit.

to be something like this:

[boot loader]
 timeout=30
 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
 [operating systems]
 multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

this usually just involves deleting the second part that references OS X. Do not reboot yet.

2. Super GRUB Disk to set active partition

Install Super GRUB Disk to USB flashdrive using unetbootin in XP. Just download unetbootin, run it with your USB drive in the computer, and choose Super GRUB Disk as the iso to install. Unetbootin can also be used to make LiveUSBs of Ubuntu etc.

Reboot your computer with SGD USB in, repeatedly press ESC when the computer is booting, then choose your USB drive as the device to boot from.

Start up Super GRUB, then using the No Help section choose Windows advanced, then set the active partition as your OS X one.

3. Fixmbr using XP recovery disk

This is the step that actually got rid of the boot0 issue, but the others are relevant too.

Using the same ESC method having booted with an XP Recovery disk in your cd drive, start up from the CD. Wait until all the drivers are loaded, and it prompts you for what to do. Press 'r' to get into the Recovery console. You will be presented with a command line. Type fixmbr and press Enter. Press y when prompted to proceed. Reboot.

Well that's it. Hope this solves everyone/anyone's issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did a succussfull install of lawless installed some kexts my first time in the os and rebooted. The absolute first text that comes on the screen is "boot0: mbr" "boot0: done" before i even see the words darwin.

I am about to try to fix the master boot record when i get home using Kismus hackintosh tools live cd.

Everyone else seems to have problems with windows installed, which is not present on my machine.

If you are sure that fixing the mbr wont solve my problem suggestions would be nice, as i only get to try one thing a day when i get home from the office.

Kismus didnt load so I used the lawless DVD. used fdisk -u /dev/disk0

and overwrote my mbr. Same message at boot. I used the HFS+ filesystem for my install, isnt that what you are supposed to use?

First thing i see after the bios screen is the boot0 mbr/done

Would really love some help. Ive been in the operating system, set it up to a large degree and now cant get back in. Soon to reinstall. Hate to do that knowing a working operating system is on the other side of this error.