ALC889a audio 'pops' at sound event beginnings -

AndrewNZ

26 posts in this topic

I usually find some kind of solution to the mysteries of the Hackintosh just by searching the 'net or these forums, but this time I have to stick my hand up. I'm stumped.

If anyone has a link or a tip then I'd be most grateful. The MB is a GA EP45-DS3R in case that helps. I ought to be thankful that I have sound at all, but the popping sound is bloody loud and a bit hard on the nerves, so it detracts from the pleasure of a working Hackintosh.

Thanks in advance to any and all who can offer a solution or two.

Edit: Stumbled across a post by another person with the same problem who had managed to find a solution. Big ups to Zaphod Beeblebrox who initially found the fix. The man is a god! :D

Use the AppleHDA.kext from the attached zip file with HDAEnabler (Not alcinject) and BINGO, pops are gone (with the exception of a single pop during boot up, and I can live with that!)

Hope it works as well for whomever needs this fix.

A couple of things, it might be a good idea to restart for the first time after installing the new kexts with -f and -x flags as my rig didn't load the drivers first time and the reboot resulted in a KP. After the -f and -x restart, the drivers loaded. The next normal restart worked without a hitch. Good luck all.

Cheers,

Andy.

I'm with you on this one. I have a laptop with Conexant AC-Link AC97 audio that does the same thing. My laptop has the media keys at the top and after a few minutes of the sound card being idle the mute button lights up. Every time it makes a short sound it pops first. Music and videos play fine though.

Strange....

i had the same problem with ep35-ds4 and the newest tagura applehda.kext. i solved it by using the applehda.kext from kalyway 10.5.2 with hdaenabler.kext and chameleon efi. i had also sound stuttering while watching films, this is a problem with vanilla kernels and pc efi V8, it could be solved by using chameleon efi.

i had the same problem with ep35-ds4 and the newest tagura applehda.kext. i solved it by using the applehda.kext from kalyway 10.5.2 with hdaenabler.kext and chameleon efi. i had also sound stuttering while watching films, this is a problem with vanilla kernels and pc efi V8, it could be solved by using chameleon efi.

Thanks paratox.

I'll check it out. Wish me luck. :)

Cheers,

Andy.

@ paratox,

Had a look at Kalyway 10.5.2 with Pacifist and the AppleHDA.kext is not in there anyplace. So I'm stumped again.

Ah well, I'll just have to be patient and keep monitoring this board until the answer turns up, or I learn to ignore the sound on this install.

Thanks anyway for the info.

Cheers,

Andy.

• 4 weeks later...

doing the boot-132 cd (custom generated using the slimbuild application). Anyway I tried everything. But I still cant get no audio.

Board: Gigabyte EP35-DS3 with ALC889a chipset. Everything is working now (graphics, network, sata, but no audio). I tried all the solutions (taruga patchset, alcinject, hdaenabler, with or without 8738pciaudiodriver) and including this one here. But it eventually dont work...

Help kindly appreciated.

Kudos, x!

doing the boot-132 cd (custom generated using the slimbuild application). Anyway I tried everything. But I still cant get no audio.

Board: Gigabyte EP35-DS3 with ALC889a chipset. Everything is working now (graphics, network, sata, but no audio). I tried all the solutions (taruga patchset, alcinject, hdaenabler, with or without 8738pciaudiodriver) and including this one here. But it eventually dont work...

Help kindly appreciated.

Kudos, x!

Are you seeing sound as enabled in System Preferences but no sound plays?

Is there any info under Audio in System Profiler?

applying taruga's ALC889a patches (AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext) brings almost the closest results ;-)

see here:

Pic1.

picture1io3.th.pngthpix.gif

Pic2.

picture2ij2.th.pngthpix.gif

Pic3.

picture3pt4.th.pngthpix.gif

Pic4.

picture4ys2.th.pngthpix.gif

Pic1 and Pic2 show that something has been enabled here. But sadly there is no available devices. Can you explain why?

Pic3 reflects the problem from Pic1 and Pic2. Pic4 is only for wholistic reasons. The input dont come from my ALC889a but from my Logitech Camera.

Any suggestions?

Kudos, x!

applying taruga's ALC889a patches (AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext) brings almost the closest results ;-)

thpix.gif

Pic1 and Pic2 show that something has been enabled here. But sadly there is no available devices. Can you explain why?

Pic3 reflects the problem from Pic1 and Pic2. Pic4 is only for wholistic reasons. The input dont come from my ALC889a but from my Logitech Camera.

Any suggestions?

Kudos, x!

For some reason, you appear to have 2x instances of your sound chip driver installed (with different device IDs). That shouldn't be happening. First thing I'd do would be to remove all audio kexts from your extensions folder and start again. I assume you know for sure that your sound chip is actually the ALC889A?

If you attempt the sound install referenced in my post, remember that you'll need to get rid of ALCInject.kext. HDAEnabler will likely not play nice with ALCInject. Also, you will probably have to reboot your machine in -x (safe) mode and -f (forced cache rebuild) mode to ensure that it loads - that was the case with me. Following that restart, everything worked and subsequent restarts were normal.

Hope that helps.

PS: I notice that the zip attachment in my thread-starter has been downloaded 133 1875 times, so it seems that the 'popping' sounds issue is fairly widespread among ALC889A users. If you can get that install to work, you'll appreciate the lack of 'pops' - they're quite loud and nerve-grating. :rolleyes:

yes it is a an ALC 889a chipset.

the funny thing is. another guy is having the same two HDA devices, but his screenshot shows "available devices"...

audio.gif

(from this topic)

I'll give that info.plist changing a try, described here and let you know.

anyway: thanks for your quick help. In contrast to you I would be happy to at least hear that f*cking crack sound ;-)

kudos, x!

yes it is a an ALC 889a chipset.

the funny thing is. another guy is having the same two HDA devices, but his screenshot shows "available devices"...

audio.gif

(from this topic)

I'll give that info.plist changing a try, described here and let you know.

anyway: thanks for your quick help. In contrast to you I would be happy to at least hear that f*cking crack sound ;-)

kudos, x!

Sorry I wasn't able to help. Good luck with the plist hack. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks AndrewNZ it works for me. My board is GA-EP45-UP3R(It is no more DS3R in Thailand). How does it fix?

Hi wammy28.

I can't take credit for this kext as it's the work of somebody else, and I don't have a clue how it fixes the popping issues. I'm just happy that it does and I'm thankful to Zaphod Beeblebrox who appears to be the person who made the breakthrough. (If I'm mistaken about that, then my apologies to whomever was initially responsible for the fix - but ZB is the first reference to this fix that I have been able to find anywhere).

You could perhaps do a Google search for "Zaphod Beeblebrox" which might get you closer to understanding the hack. Good luck. :)

Andy.

this looks like it may prove useful when my motherboard finally arrives, thanks :D

Hope it works as well for you as it does for me. :)

Hi AndrewNZ,

I also have this problem GA-EP45-DS3 under 10.5.5 (installed from a Kaly 10.5.1).

I have sound working but it seems when another application generates sounds the main sound (i.e. iTunes) pauses goes a bit scratchy then goes back to normal.

I notice in your initial post you suggested "Use the AppleHDA.kext from the attached zip file with HDAEnabler (Not alcinject) and BINGO, pops are gone (with the exception of a single pop during boot up, and I can live with that!)". When I download the ZIP file it has two files inside "AppleHDA.kext" and "ALCinject.kext" how ever you suggest NOT to use ALCInject. Which HDAEnabler did you use?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions but have attempted several different scenarios.

Cheers!

Hi AndrewNZ,

I also have this problem GA-EP45-DS3 under 10.5.5 (installed from a Kaly 10.5.1).

I have sound working but it seems when another application generates sounds the main sound (i.e. iTunes) pauses goes a bit scratchy then goes back to normal.

When I download the ZIP file it has two files inside "AppleHDA.kext" and "ALCinject.kext" how ever you suggest NOT to use ALCInject. Which HDAEnabler did you use?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions but have attempted several different scenarios.

Cheers!

Hi thetimp.

I haven't come across the audio "scratchy" issue you have, but a search of the forum should hopefully find references to its cause and fix.

The included ACLInject.kext should not be used with the attached AppleHDA.kext extension - it was already part of the zip file when I found it and since I wasn't responsible for creating or modifying it, I left it alone.

The HDAEnabler was the one that I downloaded via this thread.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

I hope that helps.

Cheers.

Hey,

Thanks for that. Didn't help fix my issue but was good to cross that one off the list.

I think the actual root-cause may be something related to speedstep as I'm seeing:

WARNING: AppleUSBAudio has detected that clock_get_uptime () value changed radically from previous values

In the system.log and the clock looses time - currently have a helper updating via ntp periodically.

Will keep looking!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

What did fix my problem was the TSC fix in the Voodoo kernel, I'm running the latest 9.5 kernel (final) without any problems, start up, sleep and shutdown work as intended and there is now now issues with my sound and the errors from system.log are gone! :-) Looks like its related to timing on multi core processors (TSC).

If you want to try out their custom kernel you can visit:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

The _only_ issue I have with this kernel this far is screen saver doesn't as for password when trying to turn the screen saver off. The fix for this (for me at least) is once the system has booted log in to your account, don't do anything log out and log back in then screen saver locks and asks for password when attempting to turn the screen saver off. Bit of a kludge but works none the less and I don't reboot very often so its not a major.

Hope this helps someone else out!

Hi All,

What did fix my problem was the TSC fix in the Voodoo kernel, I'm running the latest 9.5 kernel (final) without any problems, start up, sleep and shutdown work as intended and there is now now issues with my sound and the errors from system.log are gone! :-) Looks like its related to timing on multi core processors (TSC).

If you want to try out their custom kernel you can visit:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

The _only_ issue I have with this kernel this far is screen saver doesn't as for password when trying to turn the screen saver off. The fix for this (for me at least) is once the system has booted log in to your account, don't do anything log out and log back in then screen saver locks and asks for password when attempting to turn the screen saver off. Bit of a kludge but works none the less and I don't reboot very often so its not a major.

Hope this helps someone else out!

Good that you found a solution dude. Just so that it doesn't get lost in the clutter, I'd suggest you start another thread specifically about your issues and your solutions (copy/past will be fine, I'm sure). Probably in both Post-Installation>Leopard discussion and in the Hardware>Sound discussion. It might be a big help in both those places as people often find the search facility here difficult to use, (me included).

Many thanks for following up with new info. Sometimes it's difficult to know if one's contributions have any effect. Nice to hear feedback either way. :)

Cheers,

Andy.

• 3 months later...