Q6600 or E8500 for hackintosh?

E8500 or Q6600  

25 members have voted

1. 1. E8500 or Q6600

• E8500
    • Q6600

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

i have read many mixed reviews between these two CPUs (E8500 and Q6600). I have asked a guy who has a Q6600 hackintosh and he said if he could go back to do it again he would choose the E8500.

So just curious to know other peoples experiences/problems with these CPUs? Is there still an issue with keeping time with the 45nm CPUs?

I think for my needs raw power just to run apps etc. is better suited for me. I will dual boot osx leopard and vista x64, I don't really game just occasional re-encoding videos, use office pretty hardcore for uni and internet browsing - want to use virtual machine also on my system.

thank-you in advance for anybodies input

I 2 have a Q6600 @3 GHz. its a great CPU. unless you play games games games go for the core2duo. remember the next version of OSX will utilise more processors mutch better then befor.

Thanks, yeh and hopefully my mobo will still work with it when it comes out ;) I think I will choose the Q6600, now just to choose a cooler for it. im thinking the thermalright ultra 120 extreme i think it is called

I believe that a poll won't tell you which one you should buy. It depends of what you do with your pc.. the E8500 is one of the best cpu with the most commonly used softwares.. however, for those big softwares that support quad core... and for the future.. and multi tasking... a quad core might be better... but keep in mind that for.. like.. rendering a song in itunes.. the e8500 will be much faster...

I believe that a poll won't tell you which one you should buy. It depends of what you do with your pc.. the E8500 is one of the best cpu with the most commonly used softwares.. however, for those big softwares that support quad core... and for the future.. and multi tasking... a quad core might be better... but keep in mind that for.. like.. rendering a song in itunes.. the e8500 will be much faster...

I don't use itunes. I don't want to really have to dual boot windows, i want to run it in virtual machine so i dont have to restart the computer and I constantly multi task with office apps, internet browsers and other apps when doing work. I am always encoding videos and I don't game on a PC.

But does osx really take advantage of the 4 cores? Seen as though apple adopted intel duos and not quads I thought maybe the duo might run smoother/snappier/quicker in osx than a quad would?