7800GS OC in PowerMac G5 dual 2.0

redeemercro

12 posts in this topic

hi all;

i have a big problem, recently i have bought nvidia 7800 GS OC BFG 256MB RAM on ebay in order to replace older radeon 9600. this card is giving less (much less) performance in OpenGL benchmarks as well as in games. This is strange and not acceptible. I was surfing the internet and i saw it takes 2 kext files to edit, but since i am using latest 10.5.5 i found nothing useful. So I would really apprechiate if someone can explain to me as to an 6year old child what I need to do in order to make this to work properly.

my configuration is:

PPC PowerMac G5 dual 2.0, 4GB RAM, 10.5.5, AGP slot.

Best regards and tx in advance to all constructive answers.

hi all;

i have a big problem, recently i have bought nvidia 7800 GS OC BFG 256MB RAM on ebay in order to replace older radeon 9600. this card is giving less (much less) performance in OpenGL benchmarks as well as in games. This is strange and not acceptible. I was surfing the internet and i saw it takes 2 kext files to edit, but since i am using latest 10.5.5 i found nothing useful. So I would really apprechiate if someone can explain to me as to an 6year old child what I need to do in order to make this to work properly.

my configuration is:

PPC PowerMac G5 dual 2.0, 4GB RAM, 10.5.5, AGP slot.

Best regards and tx in advance to all constructive answers.

If it is a PC card then you would need to flash it with the Mac firmware to have it detected properly by the system or at least this is what I had to do when I put a 9700PRO into my G4, below are links to the flash guide, the firmware page and the compatibility chart but since it already somewhat works you don't need that really its just for people searching later on.

http://themacelite.wikispaces.com/NVIDIA+F...a10b0b46e34aa3a

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2

http://themacelite.wikispaces.com/AGP+Grap...7c39151f7e8bcb7

If it has already been flashed then perhaps you can include some links to the pages you mentioned regarding the .kext to be modified.

If it is a PC card then you would need to flash it with the Mac firmware to have it detected properly by the system or at least this is what I had to do when I put a 9700PRO into my G4, below are links to the flash guide, the firmware page and the compatibility chart but since it already somewhat works you don't need that really its just for people searching later on.

http://themacelite.wikispaces.com/NVIDIA+F...a10b0b46e34aa3a

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2

http://themacelite.wikispaces.com/AGP+Grap...7c39151f7e8bcb7

If it has already been flashed then perhaps you can include some links to the pages you mentioned regarding the .kext to be modified.

the card has been flashed with appropriate firmware (otherwise it wouldnt be recognized or work at all). ofcourse i didnt flash it ;-). on this page: http://themacelite.wikidot.com/kext-mod i foud out some basics regarding my problem, but at 10.5.5. it is not helpful.

i am frustrated for few reasons:

1). i cannot find my cards vendor ID;

2). i cannot find detailed instructions how to implent it on 10.5.5;

3) impossiblity to find kext fils so just to import them into /extension folder.

I saw on rapid share many kext files justo download and things works perfectly for many card types, but not for nvidia 7800GS OC 256 AGP. nothing.

jesus i am willing to pay just for directions (and ofcourse if all goes well).

sad part is that in radius of 100Km there no living soul that uses mac (except some old guy whis is about to pass away)

please help

H

the card has been flashed with appropriate firmware (otherwise it wouldnt be recognized or work at all). ofcourse i didnt flash it ;-). on this page: http://themacelite.wikidot.com/kext-mod i foud out some basics regarding my problem, but at 10.5.5. it is not helpful.

Reading the page it is the same thing now as then except you want the NV40 modified for a 7800 or all the 7??? series if I am not mistaken that is what is loaded for my 7900GS KO anyways.

i am frustrated for few reasons:

1). i cannot find my cards vendor ID;

10de same as all nvidia devices both the vendor and card device ID should be shown in the Graphics/Displays section of System Profiler as it is.

2). i cannot find detailed instructions how to implent it on 10.5.5;

Same as linked above by you changing to the .kext to be modified for this card.

3) impossiblity to find kext fils so just to import them into /extension folder.

I saw on rapid share many kext files justo download and things works perfectly for many card types, but not for nvidia 7800GS OC 256 AGP. nothing.

Seems simple enough to do just open the file with the Plist editor and add the required ID alternatively you can as is mentioned in the page linked get something close enough to your card and simply change the ID in it.

Mate, I really don't know what in heavens name ii am doing wrong. Damn thing is just not working properly. As mentioned on linked pages i opened them in a way to edit plists but yhere were no "PCIMatch" only "PCIPrimaryMatch" string. howewer I have tryed to dit it, to add a string, to change string.... anything possible and just without luck. In my system profiler is written:

Chipset Model: GeForce 7800 GS

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

Slot: SLOT-1

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x00f5

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 2150

Dude please if possible can you edit plists NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV40Hal.kext and send on: hgrbic2000@yahoo.com address. I would apprechiate it A LOT. I almost forgot to mention that I have also tryed with NVInjector in combination with files above and with no results.

I am using 10.5.5 (latest) on PPC GualG5 2.0. AGP.

This is getting frustratrating and the problem is obviously in me, which makes things even worse ;-))

Best regards and thanks all to constructive answers

Right now score in OpenGL spinning squares test is: 84, 106fps. With older 9600 radeon was: 110, 145 FPS

Mate, I really don't know what in heavens name ii am doing wrong. Damn thing is just not working properly. As mentioned on linked pages i opened them in a way to edit plists but yhere were no "PCIMatch" only "PCIPrimaryMatch" string. howewer I have tryed to dit it, to add a string, to change string.... anything possible and just without luck.

I think the primary match should be good enough that is where I put it at the start of the strings in the edited files I attach here.

In my system profiler is written:

Chipset Model: GeForce 7800 GS

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

Slot: SLOT-1

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x00f5

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 2150

That looks like it is correct with the latest version of the firmware that is listed on the rom download page.

Dude please if possible can you edit plists NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV40Hal.kext and send on: hgrbic2000@yahoo.com address. I would apprechiate it A LOT. I almost forgot to mention that I have also tryed with NVInjector in combination with files above and with no results.

I am using 10.5.5 (latest) on PPC GualG5 2.0. AGP.

The nvinjector is only for non-apple hardware as the rom on the video card is supposed to tell the system the capabilities of the card.

This is getting frustratrating and the problem is obviously in me, which makes things even worse ;-))

Best regards and thanks all to constructive answers

Right now score in OpenGL spinning squares test is: 84, 106fps. With older 9600 radeon was: 110, 145 FPS

I would imagine so but it may just turn out that what you are seeing speed wise is all that rom is capable of with your card.

plist_edited.zip

I think the primary match should be good enough that is where I put it at the start of the strings in the edited files I attach here.

That looks like it is correct with the latest version of the firmware that is listed on the rom download page.

The nvinjector is only for non-apple hardware as the rom on the video card is supposed to tell the system the capabilities of the card.

I would imagine so but it may just turn out that what you are seeing speed wise is all that rom is capable of with your card.

i have replaced my files with yours; run: sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

sudo rm /system/library/extensions.mkext, repaired permissions, and it is still the same {censored}. I have tryed without these commands, same. The only thing that can occur on my mind is that rom is not compatible with my PPC or with 10.5.5. Theres only one more thing i can do; to set up screen sharing, give you my IP address and to be sure let you (if you have time and will) to see is all correct.

Dammit, seems 300$ are gone with the wind.

P.S. I am not excluding an option thet the card is "mixing" DVI and VGA signals. How to check that opetion since i have checked all the others? I have even connected card power cable into other computer just to see is G5's power supply strong enough. Still all the same ;-(

• 2 weeks later...
i have replaced my files with yours; run: sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

sudo rm /system/library/extensions.mkext, repaired permissions, and it is still the same {censored}. I have tryed without these commands, same. The only thing that can occur on my mind is that rom is not compatible with my PPC or with 10.5.5. Theres only one more thing i can do; to set up screen sharing, give you my IP address and to be sure let you (if you have time and will) to see is all correct.

Dammit, seems 300$ are gone with the wind.

P.S. I am not excluding an option thet the card is "mixing" DVI and VGA signals. How to check that opetion since i have checked all the others? I have even connected card power cable into other computer just to see is G5's power supply strong enough. Still all the same ;-(

any1? ;-(

any1? ;-(

Hello,

I think your card has the wrong firmware.

According to http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2

and my own experience this card is an OC overclocked one, so you should flash it with the 2149 type firmware first !

In the past i had the same card but i sold it for a more silent one (XFX 7800GS) on ebay for 120$ almost 1 year ago.

All I now is that from OSX 1.4.8 on this card is recognised without any change in ext !

My experience with this card is very well.

For testing the true speed of this card you could try for benchmark: OpenGL Extensions Viewer and/or GIOFX Openmark

Best regards

;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My system: PWM G5 DP 1.8 Ghz; 3Gb RAM ;RAID 0 600Gb MAXTOR; XFX 7800GS;

If you are gauging the performance of ANY GPU via "XBench", you are making a critical error. It may be a great benchmarking app for CPUs and Disk Drives, but it is WORSE than flawed for GPU comparisons. As the above poster pointed out, there are better pure benchmarks. Any of the newer 3D games that have benchmarking would work as well.

I am not exaggerating when I say that Xbench will find a GeForce2 to be a "Hot" performing card, probably an order of magnitude better than your 9600. Give it a shot, the GF2 will run in a G5 AGP system. Send me your addy, and I'll give you some older GPUs to compare. The complete lack of accuracy in XBench is worse than shameful.

BTW...in the earlier days of 7800AGP for Mac, it was necessary to ad a Dev id hack to make it run perfectly. Leopard brought an end to this. Consider this...NVResman has a Device Id for "00fx" (x being a variable). This id corresponds only to the AGP-PCIE bridge chip used to allow PCIE GPUs to talk to the AGP bus. The G70 chip itself is running as id 93, while the board is f5, due to the bridge chip. 6600 AGP boards worked as f2 or f3 as I recall. Apple wrote that in, and they improved the 7800GS AGP performance as well.

If the card and it's renderers show up in "glviewer" than there is little to fix. Originally, the 7800AGP cards showed up as "Unknown Nvidia Gl Engine" and the dev id hack got them id'd as 7800's. I just tried it with a 7800 AGP, and glviewer knew which card it was. Someone at Apple likes us.

• 9 months later...

I just modified the package on 10.5 fully updated and am repairing permissions. I modified the third collection of numbers Under the PRIMARYMATCH like on the macelite page but on my pc there were three groups of numbers and the webpage had 4. Am I supposed to modify each group?

It seems to run ok except it takes a while to display login screen and monitor won't go to sleep or have screensaver on login screen. (I do have remote management on if that could affect it.)

P.S. My card is a flashed BFG 7800OC GS 256MB. It's device I'd is 0x00f5 and in the section I replaced, I replaced everything before the & and left everything afterward. I would appreciate a response. Thank you!

Reading the page it is the same thing now as then except you want the NV40 modified for a 7800 or all the 7??? series if I am not mistaken that is what is loaded for my 7900GS KO anyways.

10de same as all nvidia devices both the vendor and card device ID should be shown in the Graphics/Displays section of System Profiler as it is.

Same as linked above by you changing to the .kext to be modified for this card.

Seems simple enough to do just open the file with the Plist editor and add the required ID alternatively you can as is mentioned in the page linked get something close enough to your card and simply change the ID in it.