Just finished my G5 - Dell Dimension 9200 conversion!

SticMAC™

22 posts in this topic

For once I know, this is under the right topic!! :P

I bought a G5 case about 2 months ago and our dear Postal Service dropped it and bent it during delivery, so a week ago the delivered another, It came with a working(hoping) Dual Processor Mainboard, all the fans, HDD cage, cabling, a 250GB 7200RPM HDD and a bag full of screws and fittings!

The G5 mainboard I promised to a forum member, postage paid by him, then the build began......

The Idea was to build the parts of the Dell Dimension 9200 into the G5 case without, and I mean without, modifying any of the parts of the Dell:

The powersupply of the Dell has extra long powercables as the PSU sit in the top corner and the drives are bedded at the bottom of the unit, so having the powersupply at the bottom and the drives in the top corner worked out well! the blue SATA cables are actually from the Dell.

I kept most of the fans in place, and have had a drop in operating temperature of about 6°C!

Expenses.....

The G5 case of richardo.ch for CHF135.00 including the 250GB 7200RPM drive!

The Mainboard is an ASUS P5B Deluxe I got off e-bay for CHF110.00

Processor, Memory, HDD's, Powersupply and other stuff from my Dell

I had a VERY old massive tower atx case in the basement with a removable tray and this seemed perfect for turning this into the slide-in tray I needed.

Believe it or not the even the black spray I picked up on a Sunday morning during a cycling excursion! Matt Black nogal! You see, in Switzerland we have a culture of graffiti artists and one of the must have dropped it during one of their night time outings! It came in very handy to do the tray after I sanded it lightly.

The frontpanel works perfectly, as the Mainboard I used has a option to sense the audio output or disable that to have both working!

All the details in the About this Mac was hardcoded in the BIOS and is picked up without editing any files

Everything I needed I either had or could borrow from someone!

I really happy the way it turned out,

Just remember: Plan for two hours then do in 5 min, plan for 5 min and fix it for three hours!

The final Photo shows my "babies",

HP DV6716EZ excluded:

eMac 17", 1,25GHz 2GB memory 120GB HDD -

cost me CHF20.00 +£8.00 to fix(leaking capacitors!)+CHF65.00 for 2GB memory and CHF14.75 for 120GB HDD

iMac 15" swopped for a Nokia 5410i, memory out of an or P4 machine and notebook

G5 - Core2duo 2,13GHz, 4GB memory, 3 x 250GB, 2 x 500GB, 1 x 400GB, 1 x 320GB NAS, and and and...

Thanks to Aqua-mac mods for the inspiration!!!

SticMAN

Are you talking about the Copper one?! It's actually a cooler for the graphics!?

The processor fan had to be cut to make space for the PSU, I've since blocked the bottom part to allow a better airflow!

SticMAN

Nice work StickMan. I like the way you use half of the Procs heatsink .

I just realized.....

My other Hacks sees this one as a Mac!

Any idea what drives that? I have a Kalyway install that sees my other Hacks as Macs but they (both based on brazilmac but now EFI8) always see each other as the blue screen PC icon. Wierd. ;)

I changed my Model Identifier in the bios with DMICFG.exe(a bios hacktool) to MacPro3,1 where ot used to say "System Product Name" and it came up by itself like this! i also added the serial number that was on the G5 case into it for good measure!

SticMAN

Any idea what drives that? I have a Kalyway install that sees my other Hacks as Macs but they (both based on brazilmac but now EFI8) always see each other as the blue screen PC icon. Wierd. :)

Nice job you did there. :D

I still see I'm in your sig also. =]

Quick question, how do you like the new flat keyboard? It's suppose to cut down on chances for carpal tunnel, or something like that, but it's just not comfortable to me...I like the white glass keyboards the most.

Have both versions of "the white glass keyboards" including a Bluetooth one! Must say the notebook feel of the keys on the Alu is perfect for me! I like the way one doesn't have to press too hard on the keys to get the working, firm and precise, is the way I like it! It almost feel like a touch sensitive keyboard, with a bit of push!?

SticMAN

Nice job you did there. :blink:

I still see I'm in your sig also. =]

Quick question, how do you like the new flat keyboard? It's suppose to cut down on chances for carpal tunnel, or something like that, but it's just not comfortable to me...I like the white glass keyboards the most.

• 2 weeks later...

GREAT JOB ON THE MOD! THAT ROCKS! I have a Dell Dimension 9200 too and you've inspired me to do the same.

Which install of 10.5.5 did you use? iDeneb?

And did you ever get your Intel 82556DC onboard network adapter to work with 10.5.5?

I changed my Model Identifier in the bios with DMICFG.exe(a bios hacktool) to MacPro3,1 where ot used to say "System Product Name" and it came up by itself like this! i also added the serial number that was on the G5 case into it for good measure!

SticMAN

Looks good. Glad you completed yours. I haven't got a chance to work on mine.

I been trying to mod my DMI for some reason it wont change on my MB. I dont know maybe its because of the AMT on ASUS P5E VM DO.

If you can kindly PM me the DMICFG.exe you used and I'll give that a try.

Thanks...

Here you go!

PM me if you have issues with the edit

There are parts that says "readonly" but this only means you are in the wrong section to do editing! stay away from the ADD DMI section, edit the current section which is the first menu on the left!

StiCMAN

Looks good. Glad you completed yours. I haven't got a chance to work on mine.

I been trying to mod my DMI for some reason it wont change on my MB. I dont know maybe its because of the AMT on ASUS P5E VM DO.

If you can kindly PM me the DMICFG.exe you used and I'll give that a try.

Thanks...

Here you go!

PM me if you have issues with the edit

There are parts that says "readonly" but this only means you are in the wrong section to do editing! stay away from the ADD DMI section, edit the current section which is the first menu on the left!

StiCMAN

Thanks Sticman that work. I've spent so many hours trying to find a DMI editor that would work, but this did the trick. Its for AWARD BIOS but it worked on AMI.

Thanks again!!!