Which OS to dual boot for a gamer? Quik reply plz!

nate5532

10 posts in this topic

The title says it all, I built an OSX machine and want to dual boot windows. I was planning on installing Vista-64 bit, but wondering if gaming performance would be better on an XP machine or the regular 32 bit Vista. I have read some posts on how to dual boot, so hopefully it will go as planned.

Also, I have OSX installed on a sata drive, and want to install Vista on an IDE drive. I was wondering if you guys have had any issues using IDE and SATA with you osx86's. I got a GA-EP35-DS3L mobo w/F5 bios if that helps. I did a search on here and google and couldn't find what I was looking for, and no answers on the HCL list. I am planning on loading Windows overnight tonight, so any quick help is appriciated. I just bought Crysis and am DYING to play!

Thanks for reading :rolleyes:

I have installed vista 64 on my ide hd with no problems, still working out the kinks to dual boot OSX. The preformence is crysis is ok, but not as good as I expected. I have not done anything to the vista installation except update the video card drivers.

Hopefully someone will respond and let me know what the best OS for gaming is. I am tempted to install xp just for comparison sake.

Crysis is amazing, but I'm sure you would like to play more games than JUST Crysis. My point being this: Don't install a 64bit version of Windows, they are far less compatible than their 32bit counterparts.

For best general performance you're probably going to want just plain ol' Windows XP (Pro or Home).

Even with the lack of DirectX 10 (which is Vista exclusive), I think your best bet is still Windows XP 32bit.

Thanks for the responses. I am forced to reload windows and osx because I am having difficulties w/ dual booting (some damned chain0 error). I have an idea of what vista 64 can give me running crysis on medium settings at 1280x? res. I am running between 24-34 fps while gaming. I have v64 on one hd, and will have xp-32 and osx 10.5.4 on another hd. I will run some benchmarks next week on v64 and xp and will post some results.

What benchmark programs should I run? I will post my results to help people in the future. I am curious if there will be a performence difference b/t dx9 and dx10.

I will install XP Black 32-bit (this version of XP the {censored}, worth a google if you haven't heard of it - unattended install and has every program installed imaginable!). I will install XP black and post my results in a few days when I have time to finish the OS stuff. Hopefully this post will help out someone else with same question.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Nate

ANSWER!!

For anyone wondering which OS to run for the best gaming performance:

The winner is.............

XP!

I installed tinyxp and have a huuuuuuuge preformence gain w/ Crysis. I can actually run it on much better settings and the game is more intense to play! If people tell me wtf to run, I will post benchmarks to show the difference between vista x64 and xp 32 bit. I am dl'ing 3dmark06, but I have no idea if this is the common benchmark for the rest of the nerds. (no offense of course, as I am one myself).

Again, what benchmarks do you all run??

I will check this again tomorrow morning after work, so please respond!

Thanks,

Nate

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ANSWER!!

For anyone wondering which OS to run for the best gaming performance:

The winner is.............

XP!

I installed tinyxp and have a huuuuuuuge preformence gain w/ Crysis. I can actually run it on much better settings and the game is more intense to play! If people tell me wtf to run, I will post benchmarks to show the difference between vista x64 and xp 32 bit. I am dl'ing 3dmark06, but I have no idea if this is the common benchmark for the rest of the nerds. (no offense of course, as I am one myself).

Again, what benchmarks do you all run??

I will check this again tomorrow morning after work, so please respond!

Thanks,

Nate

the reason its so much faster is because your running it in dx9 instead of dx10... thats the difference... vista 64bit is your best choice, and is future proof