Walkthrough: IDeneb 10.5.5 on ASUS A8JP (formerly Kalyway 10.5.2 Thread)

mushr00m

35 posts in this topic

Hi all,

since i had some issues installing Mac OSX on my ASUS A8JP Laptop, i wanted

to share my installation process.

EDIT 03.05.2009: I always had the issue that the sound basically worked, but not the headphone-out. You can try the VoodooHDA kernel extension, this will enable the headphones too =) (http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/board,10.0.html)

EDIT 13.01.2009: You can replace your internal wireless lan card (intel) with a broadcom wireles mini pci-express BCM94321 802.11N AGB 300Mbit to get the wireless lan working. Look at ebay, they are not expensive.

EDIT 26.12.2008: I managed to get the radeon x1700 running, after some weeks of try-and-error.

That means, QE/CI (hardware acceleration) and full resolution switching. The only problem is, that

from time to time the display has blue/black stripes when booting, just rebooting helps.

I am using IDeneb v10.5.5 ( no longer kalyway 10.5.2 ) because. I would suggest you

doing the same. This short tutorial relates to IDeneb v10.5.5 installation.

If you install ideneb, be sure to select the ICHx patch, that was the only problem i had

when installing.

Check this thread for gfx drivers: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0843&st=380

Short explanation:

- Get dazza's Driver Package: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...st&p=976870

- Get your EDID, for example with the phoenix tool for windows.

This is a byte string which describes the specifications of your display.

- Convert the byte string to base64 and insert it into the ATIinject.kext's info.plist

one site which is pretty handy for converting the hexadecimal byte

string (which phoenix gives you) to base64 (needed in the info.plist) is: http://www.paulschou.com/tools/xlate/

An example of a valid EDID entry in the info.plist:

<key>LVDS,EDID</key>
<data>
			AP///////wANrxYUAAAAADEPAQOAHhN4CsAFmFdSiScg
			UFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBqyKgoFCEGjAwIDYA
			L74QAAAYAAAA/gBOMTQxQzEtTDAyCiAgAAAA/gBDTU8K
			ICAgICAgICAgAAAA/gBOMTQxQzEtTDAyCiAgAFw=
</data>

- now you need to replace the 10.5.5's gfx drivers. The location where all kernel drivers

are is: /System/Library/Extensions (short: /S/L/E)

OS X comes with drivers for the ATI x1000 generation, but they are restricted

to special model's. So you need to adjust them a bit. Dazza's package contains

a patched ATIRadeonX1000.kext and an old ATINDRV.kext which work for me.

The ATIinject.kext is a hack which inserts information about your gfx devices

inside the IORegistry (something like the windows registry) when booting.

I would suggest creating a backup of your ATIRadeonX1000.kext and ATINDRV.kext.

Then delete them from /S/L/E and copy the 3 directories from the .zip package to /S/L/E.

Remove the kernel extension cache: rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

And type: touch /System/Library/Extensions

If you are a complete noob related to kernel drivers, command line, etc., just spend 1-2 hours reading

about the whole gfx driver stuff.

EDIT: this is due to the Kernel Panic: "Error: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::buildCPUsPSSArray"

1. Download Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 DVD Intel Amd (sse2/sse3) EFI V8

You will find a link on: http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/08/wh...r-intel-pc.html

2. Dont Burn it yet, or you wont be able to even boot the installation dvd!

You need to download first MagicISO (a windows program). After installing, open the Kalyway .iso file with it.

There is a file called Info.plist inside /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/

Delete this file and rename the Info.plist.orig to Info.plist.

Then Save the .iso as a new file. Burn it to a dvd and boot your ASUS Laptop.

3. During boot process hit F8 to enter a boot flag. Type "-f" and then hit Return.

The Installation should finish without any problems. If there are problems somehow it probably has something to do

with your partitions.

4. After the installation is finished and you try to boot into the fresh installed Mac OSX

you will see a grey screen which tells you to reboot the system again.

Apparently there is something wrong. It's again due to the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext.

The Solution: Reboot and hit any key. Enter "-s -v" as boot flag and hit return.

Now you should be at a shell prompt. There you have to:

- type: "mount -uw /"

- type: "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/"

This should do the job and get rid of the kernel extension which causes the kernel panics.

5. Type "reboot" or switch your laptop on/off.

I hope everything works fine, may the force be with you :unsure:

Hi all,

since i had some issues installing Mac OSX on my ASUS A8JP Laptop, i wanted

to share my installation process.

1. Download Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 DVD Intel Amd (sse2/sse3) EFI V8

You will find a link on: http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/08/wh...r-intel-pc.html

2. Dont Burn it yet, or you wont be able to even boot the installation dvd!

You need to download first MagicISO (a windows program). After installing, open the Kalyway .iso file with it.

There is a file called Info.plist inside /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/

Delete this file and rename the Info.plist.orig to Info.plist.

Then Save the .iso as a new file. Burn it to a dvd and boot your ASUS Laptop.

3. During boot process hit F8 to enter a boot flag. Type "-f" and then hit Return.

The Installation should finish without any problems. If there are problems somehow it probably has something to do

with your partitions.

4. After the installation is finished and you try to boot into the fresh installed Mac OSX

you will see a grey screen which tells you to reboot the system again.

Apparently there is something wrong. It's again due to the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext.

The Solution: Reboot and hit any key. Enter "-s -v" as boot flag and hit return.

Now you should be at a shell prompt. There you have to:

- type: "mount -uw /"

- type: "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/"

This should do the job and get rid of the kernel extension which causes the kernel panics.

5. Type "reboot" or switch your laptop on/off.

I hope everything works fine, may the force be with you :D

It didn't work for me :D When I do the -f, it does a bunch of stuff and looks like it's going to work, but it eventually get stuck at the same spot.

--Steve

do you have an asus a8jp? and can you describe the error message in greater detail?

It gets stuck when it boots to the disc. It looks like gets stuck when loading ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext. I followed your instructions to the T. I have an Asus M50vm-B1 Laptop.

I have attached a screenshot.

--Steve

post-277074-1221684481_thumb.jpg

i would do 2 things:

1.) re-open your burned installation dvd in magiciso and check if the Info.plist is replaced, maybe something went wrong

2.) open the original kalyway .iso file and remove the whole directory: /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext

then proceed with the tutorial

good luck

I tried to edit iso file using Magic ISo but it doesn't do anything The progress bar stays at 0% and it creates a small file of 44kb. Any suggestions? Do you know any oher freeware which will allow me to edit?

Thanks in Advance

i would do 2 things:

1.) re-open your burned installation dvd in magiciso and check if the Info.plist is replaced, maybe something went wrong

2.) open the original kalyway .iso file and remove the whole directory: /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext

then proceed with the tutorial

good luck

Hi Tamuk,

you can try TransMac or MacDrive, though MacDrive did not work for me.

If this does not workfor some reason, you can mount the .iso in a linux system. Use a Linux Live CD,

Ubuntu for example and mount the device as loop device.

The shell commands should be:

sudo passwd

su root

mkdir /mnt/kaly-cdrom

losetup /dev/loop0 image.iso

mount -t hfsplus /dev/loop0 /mnt/kaly-cdrom

cd /mnt/kaly-cdrom

rm /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Info.plist

mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Info.plist.orig /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Info.plist

umount /dev/loop0

losetup -d /dev/loop0

Greets, mushr00m

@dandaman1976: please read step 2 again, you dont need to delete the whole directory

i just deleted the Info.plist and renamed the Info.plist.orig to Info.plist

then i saved as .iso and used Nero to burn the .iso file.

Where does it say: NON-BOOTABLE ? in MagicISO or when you try to boot with the dvd?

Greets, mushr00m

Hello Mushr00m,

I also have that ACPI panic which will not let me boot into the Kalyway OSX installer.

I have tried your method and cannot for the life of me figure out how to do that file edit and make the disc bootable.

I loaded my Kalyway iso onto Magic ISO and right when it loaded the little bar says "Non-Bootable"...which is not true because the original loads up fine...it just panics...

So as far as that file edit...im all set...i did everything described with no problem

What i need help with is how do i make the disc bootable after the file edit????

If you would be as so kind as to explain that it would be GREATLY appreciated!

I tried to load the disc in MagicISO twice (one for the Boot image file and one for the edit)....But when i save it the edited iso file comes out to about 7.5gb...is that whats suppose to happen??? or am i doing something wrong??...I have been at this for 2 days im dying to get this OSX on my pc haha...

-GeRm

hey mushr00m, here's the screen shot

screenshotrz7.th.jpg

yeah i might follow your advice and try ideneb 10.5.5, just wondering, have you experienced any problems with that distro such as only one cpu core, wireless, no sound etc? also i think our laptops are similar with the only difference being the type of graphics card installed (a8jr: ati x2300). I'm not 100% sure what drivers i should use for the chipset > that is broadcom vs atheros, azalia/realtek?, network etc.. think you could do a quick run down of what you installed when you used ideneb?

Yeh I can't get it to work. I tried burning the DVD in non-bootable format, and bootable format. I don't believe magic iso is saving it in a format that is bootable. When you set it to bootable, you need to burn it on a DL disk, as it doubles the size.

@sky capt: this is exactly the problem i did write this thread for. try the method i described @ first post. currently im working on the graphics, i only got a blackscreen when the ATINDRV framebuffer is enabled.

@kuyote: i made you a .ppf patch. you can use it to modify your original .iso file: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=73369b2...2db6fb9a8902bda

EDIT: check this link for the .ppf patch: http://rapidshare.com/files/152102727/Kaly...-Patch.rar.html

Thanks, mushr00m.

The new link works well.

@sky capt: this is exactly the problem i did write this thread for. try the method i described @ first post. currently im working on the graphics, i only got a blackscreen when the ATINDRV framebuffer is enabled.

@kuyote: i made you a .ppf patch. you can use it to modify your original .iso file: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=73369b2...2db6fb9a8902bda

EDIT: check this link for the .ppf patch: http://rapidshare.com/files/152102727/Kaly...-Patch.rar.html

I tested patched iso. It did not work.

mushr00m:

By the way, did you actually changed the files in the directory you mentioned? I tried to find whether there are any differences between original files (Info.plist and Info.plist.orig) and modified ones. I only checked file size. I did not see any difference.

hey mushr00m, can you tell me how to use the patch? Thanks!!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi mushr00m

Im not an expert in Leopard, I just hate vista so I want to try Leopard before buy a Mac.

I follow all the instructions and I successfully install Leopard on my Asus A8JP, but the last part is not working, after install Leopard I got the grey Screen, so I restart and remove the folder /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/

After remove it and restart I got an screen with a pointer and thats it, OS never load, ;).

Inside this folder ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/ there is another folder called "Content" and inside there are several files, I remove all the content of folder "content" is that correct or should I do something else??

Thanks in advance, hope somebody can help me with this problem.

Did you delete only the "Content" folder or also the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext?

You can boot with the -v flag, to see whats happening, since you dont see much

with the white apple screen booting. Just hit the space key during boot and type

-v. Then hit enter. Post your results pls.