(Nearly) Complete Installation Guide for nForce MCP67

ObsidianX

27 posts in this topic

Alright, so you've got a laptop like mine using nVidia proprietary hardware like the MCP67. Although there are a few things still left to resolve such as graphics support (at least resolution changing) and CPU throttling, the rest is all working for those who wish to give it a go ^_^

Now, first things first... my hardware specs:

HP Pavilion dv6605us:

nVidia MCP67 Chipset which includes:

• SATA HDD 160GB (dev: 0x0550)
  • PATA SlimLine DVD Recorder (dev: 0x0560)
  • Ethernet Adapter (dev: 0x054C)
  • GeForce 7150m (dev: 0x0531)

Also including:

• Conexant HD Audio (dev: 0x5045)
  • Broadcom WiFi Adapter (dev: 0x4311)
  • AMD Turion 64 Mobile TK-55 1.8GHz

The following is in the laptop, but doesn't work in OS X:

• Ricoh Firewire 1394 mini port (might work, not tested)
  • Ricoh Memory Card Reader (SD/xD/MMC)

One thing to keep in mind: if any of the instructions in this tutorial do not work for your particular laptop but the Vendor and Device ID's match up to mine, there might be slight variations in the hardware preventing things from working. Although I don't think this would be a problem I can't rule it out.

Installation:

The installation disk that I used to install was Leo4All v4.1. You can find this at what ever source you prefer, I won't post specifics here. This particular release contains the driver package for the hard drive already. The only thing that I encountered was that it did not use said driver during the installation process. To solve this I injected the driver into the Extensions.mkext myself.

After a few attempts of using the AppleNForceATA.kext's I found here on the forums to no avail I hacked up the driver to include my device ID's with great success. The source code and compiled driver are both attached to this post. If you need to inject it into the Extensions.mkext I have a tutorial over here related to injecting drivers. I have had no success with this but if you want to try just using the Extensions folder on the DVD (/System/Library/Extensions/) be my guest, just drop the driver in there and hope for the best.

Once you've gotten the disk to successfully find your HDD the rest is straight forward during the installation wizard. Don't use any of the Language Packs that you don't need, as each one adds a few minutes to the installation time, making the installation dreadfully long if you have them all selected.

For the options related to our hardware use:

• Forcedeth-V ONLY
  • SMBIOS667 ONLY (check your memory speed to find out which number to choose, mine is 667MHz)
  • 9.4.0 Kernel ONLY
  • NForce67 and ONLY the Nforce67 package
  • Do not select anything for audio, we have our own to install once we're in the system
  • I'm pretty sure I selected the 1.1.2 ACPIPlatform package. Read the description to make sure it reflects the rest of the choices above.

Aside from those, read the others to see if you wish to give anything a try, applications are all optional.

Audio:

Audio is so very, very simple thanks to Greenturtle985's post about the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. Install the attached kext to get your audio to work :)

Graphics:

I've had no success as of late with the GeForce 7150m due to its shared memory setup. I've been trying to get in contact with the old devs to the closest thing we've got, MacVidia, but they've yet to even acknowledge my emails/posts/PM's/etc. If anybody has any info on at least changing the resolution for this card please let me know.

DVD Drive:

I haven't worked it out yet but the DVD drive doesn't read disks at the moment. The device is properly detected by the system but is not receiving any data from disks. I believe my AppleNForceATA hack may have something to do with this, updates when I fix it.

UPDATE:

I fixed my AppleNForceATA hack to not grab the DVD drive as well during the boot process and made AppleVIAATA grab it instead, this fixed the issue and I can read/write disks now. Attachments have been upadted.

Wireless:

Should work out-of-the-box with the official Apple drivers. If not, post info on it.

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip

AppleNForceATA.zip

AppleNForceATA.kext.zip

AppleVIAATA.kext.zip

Ok, thanks to greenturtle and you i make a install with leo4all with mcp67 nforce630

Status

Video (1024*768) and try nvinjectGo and no success

Sound (no sound for moment, i try the kext atached here tonight)

DVD (dont read, same of sound )

Ethernet / Wifi - Not Working if any have a tip for broadcom and ethernet nforce tell me how to.

Thanks and i think the 6150m its similar to 7150m nobody try this drivers?

hey, with impulsion now are trying to make it work the hp graphics , etc.

Send me yours AIM to keep in touch and discuss , try, about how to make it work.

my email (i think is my aim screen name too) arvexus (at) gmail

Hi Guys,

I've found your thread, and I can say it worked for me!

I have also the nForce 560 / MCP 67...

I installed OS X on the Compaq Presario F761US perfectly with GreenTurtle's kext (the one where it allows read/write of the hard drive (the extensions2.zip file). ;)

For some reason, ObsidianX's kext wouldn't work.... It actually crashed.

But, here's a bad thing... Since I've finally installed OS X natively, I have a problem with the dreaded, Atheros AR5007 problem... I hope someone is going to find a driver. But for now, I think I'll just stick with Windows. I have to have WIFI on my OS's... It just a need.

Thanks for creating the kext! It works, there's no doubt about it. But hardware compatibility is a bit low for me....

Thanks!

hello arvexus and obsidianx

problem with installing leo4allv4.1 it reboots automatically after using booting commands idlehalt=0

plz help what am i doing wrong even i have same specs like u guys with nforce 560 chipset MCP67M

it detects my hard drive u can see that in the screenshot am using obsidianx list of kexts apple nforce ata and viaata, i have even used greenturtles kext but same problem it rebooting during installation plz help screenshot shows that

jnl: unknown-dev: jounal start/end pointers reset !

syncing disks.........Killing all processes

continuing

done

mach reboot

post-197843-1222676353_thumb.jpg

im testing this on a dv6950, with via drivers boots to graphics but i can not partition or format the HD

i modified the extensions.mkext and extensions/ too, i also deleted the VIA kext, BUT it does not seem to work...or i have to wait more than 5 minutes?

it gets stuck on:

...ATSServer: folder manager is being asked to create a folder (catch) while running as id 0

...ATSServer: can not user ATS persisten store - switching to old FOB cache code

any ideas? PCIids are 0550 and 0560...

i tryed with -v -f and -x

ObsidianX could you post a PPF patch agains Leo4allv4.1.iso ????

im testing this on a dv6950, with via drivers boots to graphics but i can not partition or format the HD

i modified the extensions.mkext and extensions/ too, i also deleted the VIA kext, BUT it does not seem to work...or i have to wait more than 5 minutes?

it gets stuck on:

...ATSServer: folder manager is being asked to create a folder (catch) while running as id 0

...ATSServer: can not user ATS persisten store - switching to old FOB cache code

any ideas? PCIids are 0550 and 0560...

i tryed with -v -f and -x

ObsidianX could you post a PPF patch agains Leo4allv4.1.iso ????

I would try with the following commands together:

idlehalt=0 -v

If that doesn't work by it's self, try to add platform=X86PC in there...

Hope this helps!

hello arvexus and obsidianx

problem with installing leo4allv4.1 it reboots automatically after using booting commands idlehalt=0

plz help what am i doing wrong even i have same specs like u guys with nforce 560 chipset MCP67M

it detects my hard drive u can see that in the screenshot am using obsidianx list of kexts apple nforce ata and viaata, i have even used greenturtles kext but same problem it rebooting during installation plz help screenshot shows that

jnl: unknown-dev: jounal start/end pointers reset !

syncing disks.........Killing all processes

continuing

done

mach reboot

I've never seen this error before. But if there's one thing I can tell you, it would be to burn a new ISO onto a DVD, but this time at a very low speed...

I used GreenTurtle's kext, and it worked fine... Make sure you follow this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=887446

It worked perfectly for me with GreenTurtle's Kext. Obsidian's didn't work for me.

Just make sure you delete Extentions.mkext with TransMac (you can get the demo), then add the modified one into the Extensions folder...

Hi Guys, i apear to have another dev id 0x05310 i added this dev id to infoplist but i get this error at boot

your chipset 0x05310 isnt suported by this kext

any way i can mod it or i have to wait until the new kext is created?

Okay, I have not much to tell you here. But make sure you follow these steps:

I would try with the following commands together:

idlehalt=0 -v

If that doesn't work by it's self, try to add platform=X86PC in there...

Hope this helps!

mmm that din not help... i think im gonna have to buy a DVDRW rawritable...

1) any ideas where are the LATEST applenforceata kext?

2) the driver seems to be working, maybe i have another problem here because i see some complains about diskarbitrationd being unable to mount my ext3 partitions.... so the device may be working (/dev/disk1 is there)

3) should i try the modifications to use SATA via nforce and ATA (dvd reader) with via kext???

thanks for your help macontp

i too have the ar5006x atheros wifi adapter and would love to see it work. laptop runs leo4all without idlehalt=0 on boot but is a little glitchy, runs warmer than it should. with idlehalt=0 on boot. it seems to run excessively hot. i'd rather not chance damaging my laptop since i do use it for dj'ing and currently cannot afford a new one. i will be looking forward to fixes for cpu throttling, 7150m drivers for graphics and 5006x kext for wifi. when these become availiable, i will be attempting this again!

for now i'm gonna mess around with fedora 9, i installed it breifly on here and liked the interface but i'm in the same boat that i am in with osx. no graphics support, no wifi either. not sure if ethernet works but i think the drivers loaded correctly.

i'll still be keeping tabs on here for this project though! and look forward to seeing more support for this chipset!

mmm that din not help... i think im gonna have to buy a DVDRW rawritable...

1) any ideas where are the LATEST applenforceata kext?

2) the driver seems to be working, maybe i have another problem here because i see some complains about diskarbitrationd being unable to mount my ext3 partitions.... so the device may be working (/dev/disk1 is there)

3) should i try the modifications to use SATA via nforce and ATA (dvd reader) with via kext???

thanks for your help macontp

I would make sure you follow that... It worked perfectly for me...

I have no clue on where you would find the latest applenforceata kext. But that really shouldn't matter. If you just replace Extensions.mkext (I'm pretty sure what that's called; saying this from memory), it should work just fine. GreenTurtles worked for me...

Hmm, EXT3? This might sound funny, but try to add a FAT32 partition in there... It might find it.

I would not try those partitucular modifications. That link I just sent you, please follow that. Download GreenTurtle's Extensions.mkext, go into the ISO (Leo4all 4.1, latest for AMD; of course with TransMac), go the Extensions folder, delelte Extensions.mkext, then replace it with the downloaded one...

I would try to burn the DVD with -R. I heard the RW doesn't work the best. Make sure you do it at a lower burning speed; this fixes a lot of the problems users have...

Glad to help! Other people helped me get my Leopard working (cough...GreenTurtle...aka Sam /cough), and I'm going to do the rest for all of you!

i too have the ar5006x atheros wifi adapter and would love to see it work. laptop runs leo4all without idlehalt=0 on boot but is a little glitchy, runs warmer than it should. with idlehalt=0 on boot. it seems to run excessively hot. i'd rather not chance damaging my laptop since i do use it for dj'ing and currently cannot afford a new one. i will be looking forward to fixes for cpu throttling, 7150m drivers for graphics and 5006x kext for wifi. when these become availiable, i will be attempting this again!

for now i'm gonna mess around with fedora 9, i installed it breifly on here and liked the interface but i'm in the same boat that i am in with osx. no graphics support, no wifi either. not sure if ethernet works but i think the drivers loaded correctly.

i'll still be keeping tabs on here for this project though! and look forward to seeing more support for this chipset!

About the CPU running hot, I think there's a way to fix that... I've read something about that. I think it was something GreenTurtle or Impulsion posted....

I have the AR5007; and I would like to get that working too. But the only way to get it working would be to.

a) Apple supports Atheros (probably not going to happen)

B) There's a extremely smart Kext developer (I know there's people like this, we would have to donate the hardware (or he/she could buy it with said donation money), then there could be a kext.

But I just don't see it happening. Atheros cards are not the best on OS X. Now for Graphics, I think that'll happen really soon here! Graphics isn't as big as a story; mainly because we always found a way to get them working...

This is the reason why I'm not going to use OS X on my laptop as of now. Graphics and WIFI. Probably the two most important things about a laptop... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Compaq V3604au (Compaq 3000 Asia Thailand )

Now!!

- Work Leo4all 4.1 Extension.mkext -> Greenturtle985 , ObsidianX

AMD Turion64 X2 1.9GHz - Works

2 GB DDR Ram - Works

160GB Seagate Harddrive - Works

nVidia 7150M IGP Works(1024x768 res, no QE/CI)

nForce HDA Works

nForce Ethernet - Will be

Broadcom 4311 miniPCI-e Wireless Works

Compaq Persario 3604au = HP dv6605us

-----------------------------------------------------

install select VIASATA NFORCE 67 ***

• 4 weeks later...

I have a dv6640us and have tried both your and Greenturtles kexts injected into the ISO and no dice. I see where it loads a AppleGenericPCATADriver or somesuch and the AppleVIAATA loads but no NforceATA anywhere. Then my screen gets diagonal white lines made of characters across it at about the point when I should be getting the GUI installer. I also noticed that at this point the hdd access light is solid. Did it somehow load the wrong kext? My hardware IDs are the same as yours SATA=10de:0550 and ATA=10de:0560. Do I need to delete the extensions directory? Is it even able to load from there if there is an mkext? I am using idehalt=0 as recommended in your post. Thanks for your response!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Got everything working with Greenturtles KEXTs here:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=123364&view=findpost&p=887446

AMD Turion 64 x2 TL 60 2.0 GHz - Detects both cores with "cpus=2"

3 GB RAM - Detected

NVIDIA MCP67M -Works

Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter - Doesnt work, currently using D-link wua-1340 USB card for internet

Chipset: Nvidia Nforce 560 - only working @ 1024x768

AND NO SOUND :-(

im currently posting from my mac partition, but if anyone knows how to fix the above issues, please reply!!!!!

• 7 months later...

Thanks a bunch for this. I have this same laptop (as far as I can see) and have never been able to install natively. Either I can't get it to boot or it wont see my hard drive. After so much googling I would give up and come back to it sometimes and try again. I'm going to try this and hopefully it will work. Will post back with results.

EDIT: YES!!

Thanks so much! I used your guide and your other one on injecting drivers. I tried to use your AppleNForceATA.kext but it would crash when I tried to format my partition. I tried several ways to format it (through VMware, GParted, etc) but it never worked. So I injected GreenTurtles Extensions.mkext (thanks macontp) and it worked! One weird thing with both DVDs was that if it didn't move the mouse it would just stop. I had to keep moving the mouse the whole time, but it worked!

Thanks ObsidianX, GreenTurtle, and macontp. :)

• 1 month later...

ive followed this guide and injected green turtles mkext.

now when i boot after installation it hangs after usbf and then the dreaded "waiting for root device"

now i find that weird as the installation went fine, is there something simple im missing here?

edit, got it working (missed the idlehalt=0). now i just have the cpu throttling problem.

thanks for the great guide

• 4 months later...

post-30356-1269347831_thumb.jpgpost-30356-1269347871_thumb.jpg

still waiting for root device

I use your AppleNForceATA.kext ,AppleVIAATA.kext

My notebook is HP V3631AU

处理器名称 Mobile DualCore AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58, 1900 MHz (9.5 x 200)

主板名称 HP Pavilion dv2000

总线类型 AMD Hammer

南桥 nVIDIA nForce 7150M-630M (MCP67-M)

HD TOSHIBA MK1637GSX(160G SATAII)

dcpdsdt.zip