EVGA 780i Motherboard

Doraemon

52 posts in this topic

see thats the thing I was talking about.. LAN is a minor thing, in fact the main instability problem lies on MeDevil's nforce driver...

IMHO you are reading what you want to read from my posts.....I said "Instability issues are often networking related".....I did not claim they were the sole or major cause.....MeDevil's nForce drivers (both AppleNForceATA and AppleNForceATA-Test) are the other already well known cause.....the degree to which it is the major problem varies from system to system.....no doubt linked to the nForce chipset type.....

No doubt you will continue to espouse your opinions as is your right and mine..... :)

So try 1.4 first.......were any settings in my list different from your BIOS settings......

"Still waiting for root device" with a SATA HDD normally indicates a problem with the AppleNForceATA.kext......

I've been using 1.4. Ad yes, to the best of my approximation the BIOS settings were the same...

The 780i board utilizes the nForce chipset. Clearly without better support (drivers) for nForce there can only be limited success with OSX86 on the 780i board...

Agree to a large extent but not completely.......a number of the instability issues people have raised turn out to be related not just to the MeDevil AppleNForceATA.kext issue but also to (i) their chosen BIOS settings, (ii) attempting to run onboard LAN, (iii) CPU load issues with USB LAN and/or (iv) running with > 3GB RAM (although 1 forum member has had 4GB running with the Voodoo XNU 9.4.0 Beta kernel......now supplanted by the Voodoo XNU 9.5.0 kernel.......see my nForce Series 7 chipset + Intel CPU MOBO thread....... :blink:

And what distro is this kernel on?

It is a standalone kernel under test at present........see here......JaS 10.5.4 distro has the 9.4.0 StageXNU kernel as an install option and the Mysticus C* 10.5.5 Combo Update Package Bundle has the 9.4.0 StageXNU kernel as an option in the Post Combo Update package...... :)

It is a standalone kernel under test at present........see here......JaS 10.5.4 distro has the 9.4.0 StageXNU kernel as an install option and the Mysticus C* 10.5.5 Combo Update Package Bundle has the 9.4.0 StageXNU kernel as an option in the Post Combo Update package...... :)

I am currently under the impression that Leo4All may be the only distro that will actually boot into an install screen with the 780i board. What are your thoughts on Leo4All?

I have installed Leo4Allv2 another time to try to determine the exact boot problem: I have found there is an issue with a driver that causes a kernel panic. Rather the lack of driver causes a panic.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00431D2D): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/Volumes/disk1s2/leo_xnu/xnu-1228/iokit/kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1405
Debugger called: <panic>

I hate people leaving useless comment on other people's thread and people who try to help with obviously no experience on the real thing. I mean come on 650i and 780i are two different chips!

Doraemon

I have long give up my Evga 780i for mac osx, reason being it's highly unstable. If you like to continue with it, try Leo4All v3, hit F8 during boot up and enter

-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -legacy

This should get you to install safely if you use an IDE optical drive (I forgot exactly what kernel or driver I selected during installtion, but I think is the 9.2.0 ToH sleep kernel and the nforce drive)...

once you finish install, you need to boot into safe mode using

-x -f -v pus=1 maxmem=2048

now you can mess around with your graphic card driver and com.apple.boot.plist

After you fix all the driver issue, you can boot w/o safe mode -x flag. I gurantee you will find out even with 1 core or 2gb ram only, the OS just freeze/hang randomly...

Thanks. It really helps to read feedback from someone who has had experience with this board and OSX86.

I have installed Leo4Allv2 another time to try to determine the exact boot problem: I have found there is an issue with a driver that causes a kernel panic. Rather the lack of driver causes a panic.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00431D2D): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/Volumes/disk1s2/leo_xnu/xnu-1228/iokit/kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1405
  Debugger called: <panic>

Thanks. It really helps to read feedback from someone who has had experience with this board and OSX86.

I do not know who you are referring to ......but here goes.....

The error message relates to ACPI as you see.......can you boot in safe mode -x -v? if so check in System/Library/Extensions for

AppleACPIPLatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins for ACPI_SMC-PlatformPlugin.kext

you may need to install older or newer versions of AppleACPIPLatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext.......

No, I cannot boot in safe mode, there is the same problem, a kernel panic.

At the Darwin boot: prompt, try "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 platform=ACPI|86PC debug=0x100 -v"........

i have asus 780i all you need to do is disable lan (causes freezes) and disable IEEE 1394a in bios and use iatkos v4i others do boot but cause problems

At darwin boot enter nforce -v and it will boot then at customization bit select nforce test for chipset and nforce kernel and what ever else but the nforce kernel is needed with the chipset kext

amy more problems pm me

also 2 graphics card may cause some problems in install so only use one if problems arise

i have asus 780i all you need to do is disable lan (causes freezes) and disable IEEE 1394a in bios and use iatkos v4i others do boot but cause problems

At darwin boot enter nforce -v and it will boot then at customization bit select nforce test for chipset and nforce kernel and what ever else but the nforce kernel is needed with the chipset kext

amy more problems pm me

also 2 graphics card may cause some problems in install so only use one if problems arise

I will try iATKOS. But at this point the feature-set of OSX is so limited with this board I don't really see the point. Network issues could be overcome via FireWire, but because FireWire and LAN must be turned off the system is essentially useless...

• 2 months later...

I am working right now with the XxX 10.5.5 PFF2 installation. I have gotten a number of working installs, but most have suffered from instability. Either my network (I am using a Netgear Card) will die after high traffic, or I will get a kernel panic caused by IOATAFamily. I am experimenting with different options, I would like to get the 9.5.0 kernel from XNU Voodoo working (they are on release 1.0) but so far I think this kernel is the issue. I had a much more dependable install with Stage 9.4.0 .

To boot the cd I dont have to enter anything, although on the PFF1 version of the disc cpus=1 cured any problems I was having with the install. Everything in the OS seems to work fine, it is mostly hard drive transfers and network issues that cause panics. I will try to update this post as I get things working more smoothly! Anyone with a 780i having issues with iATKOS or any other install, I recommend try this XxX it works well for me...as well as any installs have except Kalyway 10.5.2, which is the only version I have gotten to work 100% (except nforce nerworking of course, but I have a pci card so that wasnt an isue)

Another fresh install and alcinject 888 sound with the new drivers works fine, networking so far is solid with the AppleRTL8169 driver on my netgear card...cross fingers so far with this card and a 3Com card I have been having them die on me after a certain amount of traffic/a high amount of bandwidth is used. A restart makes it work again, but I havent found a fix, and so far I have found others with this problem with the 3Com card also.

NForceATA drivers (v.01 with 4gb fix)

4gb ram 1066

intel core2duo

8800gt pci stringed

I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION however I am seeing a yellow line appear in the bootup when i use -v...it moves by way too fast to read, I am trying to get a picture of it..is there a place that -v logs to or a way to stop it on the screen? thanks a lot.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have the same hardware as Doraeman. I finally got mine to work with IPC 10.5.6 OSX version. I often got the waiting for root device error as well. To fix it, I had to unplug the SATA cable and use another port. Then this one too would not work then you have to do the same thing. A Pain in the backside but once it is installed it works.

The options I used to get it going were(I threw away my notes) Kernel, stage xnu

DOn't select any VGA or sound or network drivers. Add them later.

I don't know if it helped but I added the USB mount fix and the firewire mount fix(selectable in the menu)

Hopefully this helps. Again, we have the same MB, CPU and graphics card. My sound, graphics and network all work. In fact, I am typing using OSX now.

Rod

Oh yeah, I earlier tried Kaly, and IATKOS with no luck. I tried every option with IATKOS for a couple weeks.

Hi,

I have the same hardware as Doraeman. I finally got mine to work with IPC 10.5.6 OSX version. I often got the waiting for root device error as well. To fix it, I had to unplug the SATA cable and use another port. Then this one too would not work then you have to do the same thing. A Pain in the backside but once it is installed it works.

The options I used to get it going were(I threw away my notes) Kernel, the last choice I don't remember.

I don't know if it helped but I added the USB mount fix and the firewire mount fix(selectable in the menu)

Hopefully this helps. Again, we have the same MB, CPU and graphics card. My sound, graphics and network all work. In fact, I am typing using OSX now.

Rod

Oh yeah, I earlier tried Kaly, and IATKOS with no luck. I tried every option with IATKOS for a couple weeks.

I'm in the process of trying this...so far no luck, but I'm still trying to figure out when to swap the SATA connectors.

Also, gummee, what BIOS settings are you using? Thanks!

The BIOS settings for 780i are given the BIOS template in post #1 here........one important point to follow is to set RAID Enable to [Enabled] but with each SATA channel set to RAID [Disabled] to allow you to set Serial-ATA Controller to [All Enabled].....

The BIOS settings for 780i are given the BIOS template in post #1 here........one important point to follow is to set RAID Enable to [Enabled] but with each SATA channel set to RAID [Disabled] to allow you to set Serial-ATA Controller to [All Enabled].....

I'm actually wondering what BIOS settings gummee is using, because he has the same board, cpu, and gpu as I do and has OS X 10.5.6 working.

Anyway, I don't understand why you would suggest disabling USB keyboard/mouse support for the 780i board? I only have a USB keyboard and mouse...

I'm actually wondering what BIOS settings gummee is using, because he has the same board, cpu, and gpu as I do and has OS X 10.5.6 working.

Anyway, I don't understand why you would suggest disabling USB keyboard/mouse support for the 780i board? I only have a USB keyboard and mouse...

Never mind, I was looking at the default settings column... :)

Never mind, I was looking at the default settings column... :)

No problem......... :)

No problem......... :)

Just a quick note: as I suspected, my BIOS settings were already set to the recommended settings. My BIOS settings are not affecting the success rate: so far iPC is still not working.

"Waiting for root device..."

Verdant, do you have any additional information regarding the EVGA nVidia 780i? Gummee suggests swapping out the SATA cables connected to the hdd...

If you have all SATA devices i.e. HDD and DVDRW and if you are not using either iPC OSx86 Universal 10.5.6 Final ISO (aka iPC Beta with PPF5) V1.1 PPF or iPC OSx86 Universal 10.5.6 iPC Beta with PPF1 then that could be the problem......the default nForceATA kext......see here...

Also check in Windows via Device Manager > Storage Controllers > Properties > Details > Device > Hardware IDs to see what SATA controllers are present on your MOBO because AFIK some EVGA MOBOs e.g. 790i employ both nVidia and JMicron SATA controllers......

BTW Metallica35 has a EVGA 780i SLI FTW mobo which is similar to yours in nearly all respects......and has got iPC running on it.......(see here and the two previous posts above this post).......

Hi,

The options I used to get it going were(I threw away my notes) Kernel, stage xnu

Rod

Success! I am able to boot into the installer now: I had to use the most recently patched version of iPC 10.5.6 PPF5. Now for the hard part: I'm not sure what settings to use for the install. I'll set the kernel to StageXNU Universal Kernel as you suggested.

How do I edit these later?

What drivers should I include given my hardware?

Any help is most appreciated and a thank you to everyone who helped work through the incapability issues of my hardware.