EVGA 780i Motherboard

Doraemon

52 posts in this topic

Okay, so let me start with a rundown of my hardware:

mb: EVGA 780i

cpu: Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz (Q9450)

gpu: x2 EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS (w/ SLI bridge)

2 gigs of Kingston (667MHz) RAM

To date I have not been able, with any distro I've tried, to make it past the language selection screen. These are the distros I've tried thus far:

Kalyway

iDeneb

Leo4All

iATKOS_2.0i

Occasionally I make it past the grey logo screen, but in most cases the logo screen will load, the spinner spin, and eventually an "X" will appear on the screen. I've waited 30 minutes at this point, hoping something might change, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any advice? I've heard of people getting this board to work, but I'm not sure of the compatibility regarding the rest of my hardware.

Any help would be most appreciated, thank you,

Doraemon

Okay, so let me start with a rundown of my hardware:

mb: EVGA 780i

cpu: Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz (Q9450)

gpu: x2 EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS (w/ SLI bridge)

2 gigs of Kingston (667MHz) RAM

To date I have not been able, with any distro I've tried, to make it past the language selection screen. These are the distros I've tried thus far:

Kalyway

iDeneb

Leo4All

iATKOS_2.0i

Occasionally I make it past the grey logo screen, but in most cases the logo screen will load, the spinner spin, and eventually an "X" will appear on the screen. I've waited 30 minutes at this point, hoping something might change, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any advice? I've heard of people getting this board to work, but I'm not sure of the compatibility regarding the rest of my hardware.

Any help would be most appreciated, thank you,

Doraemon

Firstly, on NForce chipset MOBOs like your MOBO you cannot run OS X with 2 nVidia GFX cards installed (does not matter if in SLI mode or not).......

Secondly, are you using a SATA or PATA DVDRW and SATA and/or PATA HDDs....?

Thirdly, are you using a PS/2 or USB keyboard AND mouse (see below)....?

For Intel CPU and nForce chipset MOBOs check out the excellent threads by Mysticus C* http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87901

and http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

Kalyway seems to work for most people most of the time.....since you have an NForce chipset MOBO you cannot install vanilla i.e. stock kernels.......

Or try iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4......See my latest blog entry on how I installed it on a SATA HDD on a 650i nForce chipset MOBO..... :(

If you follow Mysticus C*'s guides carefully they should get you going OK...his guides and updater packages have got me up to running 10.5.4 on a 650i MOBO with a Q6600..... :)

If you need further clarification on each step read the Kalyway 10.5.2 (IMHO the preferred choice because of giving no SUIDs errors) and iATKOSv2.0i 10.5.2 install guides in my blog......other forum readers and members have posted saying that it helped them install OS X successfully, e.g. on an Asus Striker Extreme 680i nForce chipset MOBO.....both Kalyway 10.5.2 (see here posts by icemantaz) and iATKOS v2.0i 10.5.2 (see posts here on pages 81 and 82 by sQuadron)...... :)

Starting points:

Use a USB keyboard AND USB mouse....in your BIOS

Set SATA as "AHCI" or Serial-ATA Configuration [Enabled] depending on BIOS SATA options

Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Mode [s3] or [s1] or [s1 and S3]

Also, until you have a fully operational OS X system always boot with -v at the "boot:" prompt......this way you will see any errors during booting........:)

• 2 weeks later...
Firstly, on NForce chipset MOBOs like your MOBO you cannot run OS X with 2 nVidia GFX cards installed (does not matter if in SLI mode or not).......

Remedied, to no avail: same error.

Secondly, are you using a SATA or PATA DVDRW and SATA and/or PATA HDDs....?

One SATA (250GB) drive

Thirdly, are you using a PS/2 or USB keyboard AND mouse (see below)....?

USB board and mouse

For Intel CPU and nForce chipset MOBOs check out the excellent threads by Mysticus C* http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87901

Where in this thread is there any data related to 780i specifically or nForce chipsets in general?

Kalyway seems to work for most people most of the time.....since you have an NForce chipset MOBO you cannot install vanilla i.e. stock kernels.......

Kalyway fails on the logo screen, fails in safe mode, fails to do anything at all on my board.

Or try iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4......See my latest blog entry on how I installed it on a SATA HDD on a 650i nForce chipset MOBO..... :)

I tried this, unfortunately there are obviously differences between an EVGA 780i board and whatever it was that you were using in that guide: this also did not work.

If you follow Mysticus C*'s guides carefully they should get you going OK...his guides and updater packages have got me up to running 10.5.4 on a 650i MOBO with a Q6600..... :)

If you need further clarification on each step read the Kalyway 10.5.2 (IMHO the preferred choice because of giving no SUIDs errors) and iATKOSv2.0i 10.5.2 install guides in my blog......other forum readers and members have posted saying that it helped them install OS X successfully, e.g. on an Asus Striker Extreme 680i nForce chipset MOBO.....both Kalyway 10.5.2 (see here posts by icemantaz) and iATKOS v2.0i 10.5.2 (see posts here on pages 81 and 82 by sQuadron)...... :)

Unfortunately all of your suggestions have failed. Perhaps you did not read the beginning of my post wherein I stated I was using a EVGA 780i motherboard. This is easily overlooked, but very important. For the reference of anyone else trying to setup OS X on an EVGA 780i board the only distro that would allow me to format my drive and install the operating system was Leo4All and that later failed to boot.

Time to buy a real Mac.

One SATA (250GB) drive

Right.... but what about your optical media drive? If it's also SATA, then that's likely your problem. I am also using an EVGA nForce mobo (750i) and I still haven't been able to get my SATA dvd drive to work with it... Quick fix? Install to your harddrive in a different computer (either internally or using an external enclosure) and then put it in the computer you want to use. Or, just get a PATA DVD drive for $20.

Time to buy a real Mac.

It only pays to Hackintosh if you have patience. If you have so little, then I don't see why you didn't just pull a Mac Pro out of your mysterious pocket in the first place, ドラえもん さん.

edit: By the way, you really should be thanking verdant for his help instead of saying "All of your suggestions have failed." He knows what he's doing, and if you aren't willing to take the time to continue troubleshooting YOUR PROBLEM, then you really shouldn't take it out on him. LRN2MANNERS MAN. Jesus christ.

Right.... but what about your optical media drive? If it's also SATA, then that's likely your problem. I am also using an EVGA nForce mobo (750i) and I still haven't been able to get my SATA dvd drive to work with it... Quick fix? Install to your harddrive in a different computer (either internally or using an external enclosure) and then put it in the computer you want to use. Or, just get a PATA DVD drive for $20.

I have a PATA optical drive. But thanks for the suggestion and assuming that I hadn't read the plethora of guides which could be summed up thusly: BIOS settings and USB peripherals and a PATA optical disc drive. Which is probably why Leo4All installed. Its failure to boot is related to a software problem however. Though this is an easily overlooked issue, it is also, like 780i, central to what I am discussing here.

It only pays to Hackintosh if you have patience.

I thought the point was to test OS X so that you could actually decide to buy a real Mac? If I were you I wouldn't advocate piracy.

If you have so little, then I don't see why you didn't just pull a Mac Pro out of your mysterious pocket in the first place, ドラえもん さん.

だから僕らそれそうするんだよ。やぱり本当のドラえもん知ってないだろう

edit: By the way, you really should be thanking verdant for his help instead of saying "All of your suggestions have failed." He knows what he's doing, and if you aren't willing to take the time to continue troubleshooting YOUR PROBLEM, then you really shouldn't take it out on him. LRN2MANNERS MAN. Jesus christ.

No thanks is due for failure: I wouldn't thank Bush for failing to lead my country, {censored}. But thanks for turning up the flames, that's always a nice touch. :)

No thanks is due for failure: I wouldn't thank Bush for failing to lead my country, {censored}. But thanks for turning up the flames, that's always a nice touch. :(

Verdant wasn't "elected" to the job of trying to help you get your install working, so I really don't see how he failed you.

He made some suggestions(he never said, "DO THIS, BECAUSE IT WILL DEFINITELY FIX IT"), and just because his suggestions didn't happen to work, that doesn't mean if you had more patience and were willing to try more things you couldn't get it working.

I would hardly call me pointing out your rudeness flaming, because I didn't chose to single you out for no reason. You really think that strangers on the internet should want to help you for nothing? Not even a simple "thank you?"

Anyways, this argument isn't going to go anywhere. You're right, I really don't know the real ドラえもん... I always thought ドラえもん was such a nice guy....

Verdant wasn't "elected" to the job of trying to help you get your install working, so I really don't see how he failed you.

...and Bush was also not "elected" as you will recall.

He made some suggestions(he never said, "DO THIS, BECAUSE IT WILL DEFINITELY FIX IT"), and just because his suggestions didn't happen to work, that doesn't mean if you had more patience and were willing to try more things you couldn't get it working.

I never said any such thing.

I would hardly call me pointing out your rudeness flaming, because I didn't chose to single you out for no reason. You really think that strangers on the internet should want to help you for nothing? Not even a simple "thank you?"

I neither said his suggestions were bad nor good: I observed that they failed on my hardware. But then you had to go and play the sanctimonious card and tell me to be thankful. Sorry pup, but that's tantamount to flaming. Respect is key and as soon as you stop giving it you stop receiving it: pugnacity is useful only when you're the victim. You aren't Verdant and he was hardly a victim.

Anyways, this argument isn't going to go anywhere. You're right, I really don't know the real ドラえもん... I always thought ドラえもん was such a nice guy....

Now that we've landed so very far off topic (my apologies to the gods who are the admins), I would like to once again reiterate my experience with the EVGA 780i mobo (BIOS settings, USB peripherals, and PATA optical drive): I tried four distros. The only distro that does not fail on the logo screen or in verbose mode (after trying various kernels provided to each distro respectively, including various boot modes, i.e. -x) is Leo4All which unfortunately would not boot after installing. Though it is worth noting Leo4All does install.

If anyone else, with experience with this board (780i), would like to comment on this I would love to read others' experiences.

I hope this can provide help for those attempting to use EVGA 780i boards and OSX86 in the future.

I have an eVGA 780i LT motherboard with 2Gb RAM, 500 Gb SATA harddrive, and a Q6600...

Recently I bought this harddrive, but I can say that I HAVE installed Leopard and gotten network and everything to work using this board. The only thing is, this was with a Western Digital IDE harddrive. Since I installed my new SATA drive I have been unable to install anything on this board. Sure, it boots fine with VMware which leads me to believe that each install disk I use does not have support for my SATA chipset (?).

I've tried iATKOS, Leo4All, ToH, and Kalaway. I can tell you that ToH originally worked for me.

If you have any luck, I will try and check this thread as often as I can.

- Evan

@ doraemon

@ vsi1600

Please do not get into a "spat" on my account........doraemon's experience with the different distros will be specific to his EVGA 780i setup.......my suggestions can only provide pointers to forum readers.......my view is that the EVGA 780i MOBO failed to match my suggestions...... :thumbsdown_anim:

Where in this thread is there any data related to 780i specifically or nForce chipsets in general?

For the benefit of other readers of this thread......in the Title of the Mysticus C* thread.......

Nforce Chipsets: How to install Leo easy and fast with iAtkos v1.0i r3 - NForce Edition or Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD, Newbies Guide + Install Guide (Intel CPUs Only Guide)
....... :thumbsup_anim:

@ doraemon Seriously though......other distros have been shown to work.......I do not make my suggestions "blind".......

Evidence from http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2#eVGA

eVGA 780i SLI 132-CK-NF78-A1

nVidia nForce 780i SLI Chipset

• Install method: Kalyway 10.5.2
  • Installation: SATA HD w/ GUID
  • BIOS version: P06
  • PATA: works (PATA optical disk work during installation)
  • SATA: all ports work but unstable when writing/reading medium size files
  • LAN: not working (beta driver work but unstable)
  • Audio: ALC888S (works with ALC888 driver)

EFI v8 + 9.2 sleep kernel No, sleep/shut down not working properly, system randomly freeze under idle/load

Another suggestion......which may fail...... :( .......but here goes:

You do not mention in your posts here what error messages you see when booting from the Install DVD(s) with F8 and at the "boot:" prompt with -v........

But try, if you get ''Still waiting for root device'', pressing F8 and at the "boot:" prompt

enter

cpus=1 rd=diskXsY Platform=X86PC -v

where diskXsY where X is your hard drive number (starts with X=0) and Y is the partition number (Y starts with 1).....

This may or may not work...... ;)

Another suggestion......which may fail...... :( .......but here goes:

You do not mention in your posts here what error messages you see when booting from the Install DVD(s) with F8 and at the "boot:" prompt with -v........

But try, if you get ''Still waiting for root device'', pressing F8 and at the "boot:" prompt

enter

cpus=1 rd=diskXsY Platform=X86PC -v

where diskXsY where X is your hard drive number (starts with X=0) and Y is the partition number (Y starts with 1).....

This may or may not work...... :(

Well I haven't been able to actually install from Kalyway. It is unable to boot into the setup. Without -v a grey "x" appears over the Apple logo screen. I tried your suggestion and it returned this error:

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
<mem addresses omitted>
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH

Doraemon

I have an eVGA 780i LT motherboard with 2Gb RAM, 500 Gb SATA harddrive, and a Q6600...

Recently I bought this harddrive, but I can say that I HAVE installed Leopard and gotten network and everything to work using this board. The only thing is, this was with a Western Digital IDE harddrive. Since I installed my new SATA drive I have been unable to install anything on this board. Sure, it boots fine with VMware which leads me to believe that each install disk I use does not have support for my SATA chipset (?).

I've tried iATKOS, Leo4All, ToH, and Kalaway. I can tell you that ToH originally worked for me.

If you have any luck, I will try and check this thread as often as I can.

- Evan

Evan,

It's great to read that you had it working with eVGA 780i LT. I will continue to work on this and check back here frequently. Any revelations I have regarding this will be posted here. Thanks again! :)

Doraemon

Well I haven't been able to actually install from Kalyway. It is unable to boot into the setup. Without -v a grey "x" appears over the Apple logo screen. I tried your suggestion and it returned this error:

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
<mem addresses omitted>
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH

Doraemon

Hi there,

What happens when you boot with "-v platform=ACPI|86PC"?

Hi there,

What happens when you boot with "-v platform=ACPI|86PC"?

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure
Still waiting for root device

It is unable to boot into the setup. Without -v a grey "x" appears over the Apple logo screen.

@Verdant: I'm assuming that the grey "x" that appears over the Apple logo is semantically synonymous with the "Still waiting for root device error" which is what is returned when I use the verbose flag.

Can anyone confirm this?

Doraemon

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure
Still waiting for root device

@Verdant: I'm assuming that the grey "x" that appears over the Apple logo is semantically synonymous with the "Still waiting for root device error" which is what is returned when I use the verbose flag.

Can anyone confirm this?

Doraemon

Please check your BIOS settings against this list:

APIC Mode [Enabled]

MPS Version Control for OS [Default]

"What are the options in your BIOS for the MPS Version Control?"

Limit CPUID Max Val [Disabled]

Speedstep [Disabled]

CPU Thermal Control [Enabled]

C1E [Disabled]

Virtualization Tech [Disabled]

CPU Core 0 [Enabled]

CPU Core 1 [Enabled]

CPU Core 2 [Enabled]

CPU Core 3 [Enabled]

HPET [Enabled]

OnChip IDE Channel0 [Enabled]

Primary Master PIO [Auto]

Primary Slave PIO [Auto]

Primary Master UDMA [Auto]

Primary Slave UDMA [Auto]

IDE DMA transfer access [Enabled]

Serial-ATA Controller [Enable All]

IDE Prefetch Mode [Enabled]

HD Audio [Enabled]

RAID Enable [Enabled]

SATA 0 to 2 Primary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 0 to 2 Secondary RAID [Disabled]

OnChip USB [Enabled]

USB Keyboard Support [Enabled]

USB Mouse Support [Enabled]

ACPI function [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Type [s3 (STR)]

Please check your BIOS settings against this list:

APIC Mode [Enabled]

MPS Version Control for OS [Default]

"What are the options in your BIOS for the MPS Version Control?"

Limit CPUID Max Val [Disabled]

Speedstep [Disabled]

CPU Thermal Control [Enabled]

C1E [Disabled]

Virtualization Tech [Disabled]

CPU Core 0 [Enabled]

CPU Core 1 [Enabled]

CPU Core 2 [Enabled]

CPU Core 3 [Enabled]

HPET [Enabled]

OnChip IDE Channel0 [Enabled]

Primary Master PIO [Auto]

Primary Slave PIO [Auto]

Primary Master UDMA [Auto]

Primary Slave UDMA [Auto]

IDE DMA transfer access [Enabled]

Serial-ATA Controller [Enable All]

IDE Prefetch Mode [Enabled]

HD Audio [Enabled]

RAID Enable [Enabled]

SATA 0 to 2 Primary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 0 to 2 Secondary RAID [Disabled]

OnChip USB [Enabled]

USB Keyboard Support [Enabled]

USB Mouse Support [Enabled]

ACPI function [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Type [s3 (STR)]

For the record, I am using Phoenix - AwardBIOS (with P07 update).

MPS Version Control For OS: 1.1 or 1.4

For the record, I am using Phoenix - AwardBIOS (with P07 update).

MPS Version Control For OS: 1.1 or 1.4

So try 1.4 first.......were any settings in my list different from your BIOS settings......

"Still waiting for root device" with a SATA HDD normally indicates a problem with the AppleNForceATA.kext......

You're the man! I got it installed, works great. I am building up some more rigs for customers right now (just finished building a VERY nice machine for capturing video... dual quad core extreme 9775's on a skull trail board, 4x 10k rpm veleociraptors in raid 0... etc etc... was getting 400+ MB/s transfer rates) That's just the beginning though :P

As soon as I'm done with some of these projects I'm going to muck with it more. It's on, and working well - but I notice a few issues, and I'm almost wondering if I should reinstall doing it exactly as you did. I used that command I posted in that other thread, and that worked - but I didn't select the options you did on install, so things seem a little strange... video card seems slow, over all 3d effects seem sluggish... onboard nic isn't working - and I cannot pull up the "more info" tab from computer properties... it crashes and closes. So long story short, I'm going to run back through your guide step my step and get this baby workin'. BTW, you wouldn't by chance know which file I need to edit to nuke the two RAID's I have - the mirrors shows up and mounts properly, but as two individual drives (as the RAID isn't really supported) and the RAID 0 gives me a mounting error on start up. I'd like to just nuke them from OSX's existence :)

Thanks man!

You're the man! I got it installed, works great. I am building up some more rigs for customers right now (just finished building a VERY nice machine for capturing video... dual quad core extreme 9775's on a skull trail board, 4x 10k rpm veleociraptors in raid 0... etc etc... was getting 400+ MB/s transfer rates) That's just the beginning though :angry2:

As soon as I'm done with some of these projects I'm going to muck with it more. It's on, and working well - but I notice a few issues, and I'm almost wondering if I should reinstall doing it exactly as you did. I used that command I posted in that other thread, and that worked - but I didn't select the options you did on install, so things seem a little strange... video card seems slow, over all 3d effects seem sluggish... onboard nic isn't working - and I cannot pull up the "more info" tab from computer properties... it crashes and closes. So long story short, I'm going to run back through your guide step my step and get this baby workin'. BTW, you wouldn't by chance know which file I need to edit to nuke the two RAID's I have - the mirrors shows up and mounts properly, but as two individual drives (as the RAID isn't really supported) and the RAID 0 gives me a mounting error on start up. I'd like to just nuke them from OSX's existence :)

Thanks man!

Glad to help........ :) As regards RAID......from Mysticus C* nForce MOBO chipset thread:

☻RAID HDD Configs with built in soft-raid controller (this applies to only built-in soft-raid==not apple's soft raid solution, which is different) SOFT-RAID DOES NOT WORK ON ANY CHIPSET with soft-raid (there are some sis raid versions which is hardware-raid and has driver, apart from that no other soft-raid works... You have to run OSX in single drive configs!

Are you dual booting OS X with another OS and just do not want the RAID drives to show on the OS X desktop.....or do you want to "de-RAID" them.....?

I just don't want them to show up at all. I was aware that the RAID wouldn't work with OSX. I run the RAID 0 for my Vista load, and the Raid 1 for my data drive. Neither of which I care to use with OSX (unless down the road RAID with the software NVIDIA RAID becomes an option). For now, I'd just like OSX to ignore them - any way to do this?

oh quick question... if I'm using the ATKOS 2.0 iso, just straight up - what boot options would I want to use with my desktop config (quad core extreme, 4GB just to remind you)? I tried the nforce_core -v but it just reboots my machine after a couple seconds. I want to make sure that when I get into osx, I'm utilizing my quad core :angry2:

I just don't want them to show up at all. I was aware that the RAID wouldn't work with OSX. I run the RAID 0 for my Vista load, and the Raid 1 for my data drive. Neither of which I care to use with OSX (unless down the road RAID with the software NVIDIA RAID becomes an option). For now, I'd just like OSX to ignore them - any way to do this?

Right_click on the OS X HDD icon and select "Make Alias".....this creates a "alias icon" on the Desktop......then go to Finder, Preferences and uncheck "Hard Disks"......when you reboot you should find that only the "alias icon" remains..... :unsure:

oh quick question... if I'm using the ATKOS 2.0 iso, just straight up - what boot options would I want to use with my desktop config (quad core extreme, 4GB just to remind you)? I tried the nforce_core -v but it just reboots my machine after a couple seconds. I want to make sure that when I get into osx, I'm utilizing my quad core ;)

You only need to boot with "nforce_core -v" at the DVD install stage......subsequently you would boot off the HDD without any boot flag.......I personally always boot with -v from the Darwin bootloader menu as I like to see what is going on during bootup...... :)

As for seeing utilisation of the 4 cores install MenuMeters........I always have a small boot volume and a main and test OS X volume as per my signature.......the boot volume is set up in com.apple.Boot.plist with cpus=1 maxmem=2048 for Firewire device mounting/unmounting on plugin/plugout and for large file transfers as I find that booting OS X with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" is necessary for an "unbroken" connection during file transfer.

You're the man! I got it installed, works great. I am building up some more rigs for customers right now (just finished building a VERY nice machine for capturing video... dual quad core extreme 9775's on a skull trail board, 4x 10k rpm veleociraptors in raid 0... etc etc... was getting 400+ MB/s transfer rates) That's just the beginning though ;)

Thanks man!

Could we keep the non-780i related posts in other threads? This thread is specifically for 780i boards. Thanks.

oh quick question... if I'm using the ATKOS 2.0 iso, just straight up - what boot options would I want to use with my desktop config (quad core extreme, 4GB just to remind you)? I tried the nforce_core -v but it just reboots my machine after a couple seconds. I want to make sure that when I get into osx, I'm utilizing my quad core :)

Off topic. Move to another thread.

I hate people leaving useless comment on other people's thread and people who try to help with obviously no experience on the real thing. I mean come on 650i and 780i are two different chips!

Doraemon

I have long give up my Evga 780i for mac osx, reason being it's highly unstable. If you like to continue with it, try Leo4All v3, hit F8 during boot up and enter

-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -legacy

This should get you to install safely if you use an IDE optical drive (I forgot exactly what kernel or driver I selected during installtion, but I think is the 9.2.0 ToH sleep kernel and the nforce drive)...

once you finish install, you need to boot into safe mode using

-x -f -v pus=1 maxmem=2048

now you can mess around with your graphic card driver and com.apple.boot.plist

After you fix all the driver issue, you can boot w/o safe mode -x flag. I gurantee you will find out even with 1 core or 2gb ram only, the OS just freeze/hang randomly...

I hate people leaving useless comment on other people's thread and people who try to help with obviously no experience on the real thing. I mean come on 650i and 780i are two different chips!

Doraemon

I have long give up my Evga 780i for mac osx, reason being it's highly unstable. If you like to continue with it, try Leo4All v3, hit F8 during boot up and enter

-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -legacy

This should get you to install safely if you use an IDE optical drive (I forgot exactly what kernel or driver I selected during installtion, but I think is the 9.2.0 ToH sleep kernel and the nforce drive)...

once you finish install, you need to boot into safe mode using

-x -f -v pus=1 maxmem=2048

now you can mess around with your graphic card driver and com.apple.boot.plist

After you fix all the driver issue, you can boot w/o safe mode -x flag. I gurantee you will find out even with 1 core or 2gb ram only, the OS just freeze/hang randomly...

People are managing to run OS X on 750i chipset MOBOs successfully.....and while the 650i and 780i chipsets are distinctly different......the 750i and 780i chipsets are NOT.......so do not give up on putting OS X on a 780i chipset MOBO..... :(

Instability issues are often networking related.....using onboard LAN on nForce chipset MOBOS is problematic to say the least and so is not recommended......USB driven LAN loads the CPU quite heavily......can result in freezes/kernel panics......best option is a PCI NIC using a supported chipset e.g. RTL8169..... ;)