SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

I think Nick14 may be on the right track for us TC1100 owners (M class chip), this voodoo kernel sounds promising. I don't know why we never can boot any leopard discs but I'm determined to do it. I currently run Tiger 10.4.7 and it works great, but the new kernels just don't work. I tried to build a boot 132 disc last night with ToH 10.5.1 sse2 and speedstep kernels but it wouldn't boot, must've messed up updating the initrd correctly.

Try JaS 10.5.3 with StageXNU kernel but can someone add StageXNU to your boot cd becouse i get using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers" error with Modbin and make it possible to boot it of an usb becouse it's faster and cheaper

darkuser:

those are expected behaviour. first attempt was never going to work - you're not specifying the kernel, so it'll try to use the vanilla kernel which wont work on a Pentium D.

in the second example, your machine is waiting for a root device with uuid F8F... which is most likely the initrd ramdisk.

please re-read the first post - you NEED to specify the root device explicitly - either by rd=diskXsY or by boot-uuid=<uuid of the dvd>

you'll need to figure out the values for X and Y, or find the UUID of your DVD. if you have a working hackintosh install on the machine, you can find either by using Disk Utility.

good luck!

woo! thats good news man. i'd like to know the results of that to see if its theoretically possible to boot on SSE2. however, I think real SSE2 machines are still required, as we may have to deal with other deficiencies. i'm not 100% sure what the impact of HPET, PAE, XD etc etc are on booting vanilla - i suspect they're required. can you disable those in your VMWare environment?

imho only Intel chipsets with those features and SSE2 will be likely candidates for booting, unless those deficiencies can be overcome by adding more kexts to the ramdisk. we need, in short, a knowledgeable SSE2 user for testing. any takers?

Hi there,

it is also possible to find UUID using TransMac.

Install TransMac and open Mac OS drive (install DVD) and find ****-uuid file

I hope this helps.

Srdan Suka

pj sorry I can't be much help. basically you need to figure out whatever patches or extra kexts you would normally install from a jas, kalyway, leo4all install, and move those to the boot132 cd.

bit of a pisser to figure out though...

Using the boot-132 iso I made for my system I have now installed from the retail DVD to a partition on my internal HDD and one on an external USB drive. In both cases, they installed and upgraded to 10.5.5 with no major problems.

I noticed the following quirks after both installs.

• After the initial install I could boot with "rd(0,1)/modbin -v rd=diskxsy"
  • After the update to 10.5.5 I had to add the -f to that command to get past a waiting for boot device
  • In both cases there were new warning messages after the upgrade - something about not allocating the sandbox

I also see several messages about kext being replaced with same or newer extensions - 9.4.0 -> 9.5.0 typically.

Does anyone know where these messages are logged so I can go back and study the list. I think it would be good to eliminate as many as are practical.

--Cheers, BladeRunner

hello guys,

ive a little question about this solution to boot an "vanilla" intall even on precore intel cpus.

may it be that this is only a trick to boot up with an retail dvd on a precore machine that still

uses an patched kernel instead of the vanilla kernel?

i mean, at first i thought it works like the patched kernel will be loaded at first an later the original

vanilla kernel is loaded on my machine. but i see in the sys profiler that im still using the 9.4.0 kernel...

so its still IMPOSSIBLE to use an vanilla kernel on an pentium 4 (prescott, sse3) socket 478 processor?

so my sysem is using the kernel from the /Extra/ directory and NOT the mach_kernel (9.5.0) from the

root directory... is this right so?

i really thought "ohhhh nice, finally i can use the newest vanilla kernels from apple" but this isnt right or?

best regards

btw. i tryed to use the StageXNU kernel instead of the modbin (in the /Extra/ directory) but unfortunately it doesnt work with this solution

i get an kernel panic with it, but in the past (without chameleon)....it was able to boot the StageXNU kernel and it

worked fine? what about that?

hello guys,

ive a little question about this solution to boot an "vanilla" intall even on precore intel cpus.

may it be that this is only a trick to boot up with an retail dvd on a precore machine that still

uses an patched kernel instead of the vanilla kernel?

i mean, at first i thought it works like the patched kernel will be loaded at first an later the original

vanilla kernel is loaded on my machine. but i see in the sys profiler that im still using the 9.4.0 kernel...

so its still IMPOSSIBLE to use an vanilla kernel on an pentium 4 (prescott, sse3) socket 478 processor?

so my sysem is using the kernel from the /Extra/ directory and NOT the mach_kernel (9.5.0) from the

root directory... is this right so?

i really thought "ohhhh nice, finally i can use the newest vanilla kernels from apple" but this isnt right or?

best regards

btw. i tryed to use the StageXNU kernel instead of the modbin (in the /Extra/ directory) but unfortunately it doesnt work with this solution

i get an kernel panic with it, but in the past (without chameleon)....it was able to boot the StageXNU kernel and it

worked fine? what about that?

No, you don't use vanilla kernel you use kernel form the ram disk or extra folder .

@runkelstrunkel:

pre-Core CPUs can NEVER boot the vanilla Apple-supplied kernel. end of. its not possible, because the kernel itself performs checks for P6 family processors, and requires SSE3. the only CPUs which fit the bill are Core chips.

this is a 'trick' to boot the retail DVD and an unmodified install of Leopard on pre-Core cpus.

@runkelstrunkel:

pre-Core CPUs can NEVER boot the vanilla Apple-supplied kernel. end of. its not possible, because the kernel itself performs checks for P6 family processors, and requires SSE3. the only CPUs which fit the bill are Core chips.

this is a 'trick' to boot the retail DVD and an unmodified install of Leopard on pre-Core cpus.

Ok, I get that part, however I am still strugling with the following. If we are using the non-apple kernel (from the ram disk) can we than still use the apple update method and continue working with the ram disk kernel without causing any problems in the 'apple version installation'?

eddie: i updated to 10.5.5 using software update. no problems.

obviously, my system is still using the 9.4.0 (10.5.4) patched kernel and (vanilla) System.kext. but compatability between minor point revisions is generally good.

if you want to be uber-safe, then hold off updating to 10.5.5 until you have a patched 9.5.0 (10.5.5) kernel to go with it, and when u do, you put it (and the 10.5.5 System.kext) on your ramdisk.

Nick14: I guess I could, but why would you want it? My system is an old Pentium4 and according to your signature you have a C2D based system. The kext I need would not be required on your system.

Well i also have a Old p4 system A dc7100 which i cant get Munkys or 3d mans disc to work on

Voodoo has this up there site:

Apple has been quick in releasing the 10.5.5 kernel sources, and we've been quick in porting it. The 9.5 kernel has been ported and internal testing is going on. The next beta for Voodoo will be based on 9.5 (currently beta 1 is 9.4 based).

Check back for more details. The expected release is by the weekend (20/21 Sep '08).

Anyone having the same problem?

"Database Error

There appears to be an error with the database. But don't worry, we have a dedicated team of 1000 Monkeys working on the case

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here"