Should I build a perfect Hackintosh, or buy an iMac?

The ePic One

6 posts in this topic

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I really want a Mac, but I don't want to pay £1500 for an iMac with mediocre specs. But I like the fact it's made by Apple, and guarunteed everything to work perfectly (ie. Updates etc..)

However, on the other hand i'm considering building a Hackintosh with a Gigabyte board, and all the best hackintosh hardware. Which will be cheaper and more upgradable, with better specs.

But with the Hackintosh, perhaps things will change and the hardware i'm using to run OSX may no longer work with OSX. And the updates no longer work.

What do you suggest I do? Thanks!

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I really want a Mac, but I don't want to pay £1500 for an iMac with mediocre specs. But I like the fact it's made by Apple, and guarunteed everything to work perfectly (ie. Updates etc..)

However, on the other hand i'm considering building a Hackintosh with a Gigabyte board, and all the best hackintosh hardware. Which will be cheaper and more upgradable, with better specs.

But with the Hackintosh, perhaps things will change and the hardware i'm using to run OSX may no longer work with OSX. And the updates no longer work.

What do you suggest I do? Thanks!

No one really knows at present what Apple will do about the OSx86 scene if they win against Psystar nor what they plan to do with their chip design division......

Have you considered what you could get by either

(i) looking at what Mac Pros are going for in Apple's Refurbished Store online and/or

(ii) on eBay for Mac Pros put up for sale as video/music pros upgrade but they have already paid for the depreciation on the computer.....I have never bought new real Macs only secondhand.......

My base Q6600 system as per my signature was bought new on eBay but via auction so cost only £460....... :rolleyes:

Computer equipment is technically "obsoleted" too quickly to make paying a premium price for new equipment worthwhile even though its productivity is not "obsoleted".....the lowendmac site is evidence of this...... :)

Getting Mac or iMac is always the best option , nothing can really replace that for sure. but if you have money.

now in my case money is not issue. But i just invested almost USD1500 for HP laptop in 2006, for me this is fast centrino laptop with all modern features. now throwing this away at dumping price of USD500 on ebay then getting MAC / macbook for USD 1500 is crazy option. why should i do that? just because mac refuses to support my running hardware?

so when i saw OSx86 project. i knew i had to get on this path . obviously things are not perfect i cant get sleep working and no wifi, rest is smooth as butter. and i am sure i will spend some 20 30 bucks for wifi too and get it running. but i have what i need a stable hackintosh and since i work professionally on linux related activities, this suits me perfect. i even call it the perfect linux setup :rolleyes:

If it was me I'd and money is a factor I'd build a hackintosh. Do some research to make sure you buy the best compatible parts. For motherboards Gigibyte's P35 or the new EP35 series chipset are very compatible. Core2Duo or Core2Quads are fantastic CPUs. Nvidias video cards are highley compatible except for the lastest Geforce 9 series cards. You can certainly build a hackintosh for around $500-$800 US. and get a screaming fast machine.

Chevy