Dial Up Modem on osx86

15 posts in this topic

• 5 months later...

hi all... i have an external us robotics dial up via serial port... identified it as us robotics universal but somehow everytime i try to connect it just gives me modem error... it doesn't show up in my list of hardware... need help please...

thanks guys

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I use US robotics 56k fax modem (serial) 5630?. It does work but gives kernel panic when connected to internet.

Hello there

a bit late i know but i experience the same bug with a usr 56k sportster flash and i use the highspeed version of these two scripts. I thought with 10.4.8 it is kind of stable but nothing. Eveything else on that system runs like charm even my 5200 does it much better than i can dream of. Only this thing with inet connection sucks....

Did you read something about it somewhere else, maybe?

:)

I have had problem with USR serial modem ever since 10.4.3. I think that solution is in conversion from DB9 to mini DIN8. I have tried to make custom cable DB25 to DB9 which would mimic DB25 to mini DIN8 male cable available from apple dealers. Searched all over internet and no success. Still panics. Dont know what to do. Its frustrating.

Mac uses RS422 not RS232. This is the problem with external serial modems connected to hackintosh machines. What pc rs232 does with DTR, DSR, RTS, CTS, and DCD mac does with HSKo, HSKi, and GPi. PC uses 5 pins, mac uses 3 pins. So, osx on pc gets confused, which ends up in kernel panic. Thats it.

Hello there

interesting interesting...

@wolf, where do you got this information from?

spruceham doesn't seem to have this kind of problem, why?

Its best to get a apple usb modem for 55 euro :D ... cant wait to get a flatrate :D

lets look what ebay has today :D modems i mean

• 2 weeks later...

I have been searching for solution for many months, I can't be more specific. I went through many technical sites about rs232, rs422 db9, db25 and so on. I think that the problem is in internal wiring of pc rs232. I dont know anymore. Maybe it is up to modem... Who knows?