JaS 10.5.4 GMA 900/950 & PS/2 workaround

firefox408

35 posts in this topic

JaS 10.5.4 GMA 900/950, PS/2 and nForce "waiting for root device..." workaround

Trying to install OS X 10.5.4 using JaS’s latest iso?! It gives you nothing but a blue screen when you boot the installer! PS/2 doesn't work? Waiting for root device error? Don’t worry there is a light at the end of the tunnel!! =)

Update: 21 Aug 2008:

Using the method below is known to work for booting/installs on:

GMA 900

GMA 950

nForce: Waiting for root device... was tested on nForce 650 board that previously did not work

There are several issues to getting GMA900/950 working on a 10.5.4 install, if you are using JaS 10.5.4 non patched iso you will have issues that stop you from installing directly off the DVD.

• Blue screen of death; There isn’t a GMA900 driver on the install DVD
  • Missing GMA900 installer on the DVD
  • Keyboard & built-in trackpad doesn’t work
  • Drivers installed but still blue screen of death

There are several methods to get around these issues but I’ll only go into detail for the simpler of them so you can keep said hair and sanity, GMA950 users see the notes at the bottom for files =)

1.Patching the ISO to have the files you need

2.Installing via alternative methods

Using a paperclip to enable onboard laptop LCD (GMA900). Dell D610 shown with a very short piece of paperclip bridging the pins to trick the video card into thinking you have an external monitor.

D610vidhack.jpg

Method 1:

So you have the courage to patch the iso directly and reburn the disc, good for you! Don’t let the cost of a $.35 disc slow you down! Heh. This method requires that you

have either a working Mac OS X install or access to a PC with MacDrive, Transmac or any utility that can mount Mac paritions read-write. But I’ll assume Mac OS X.

You will need:

Extensions.mkext - This is a replacement mkext for the ISO

GMA_900 - Installer for GMA900 QE/CI support in 10.5.x

ApplePS2Controller - PS/2 mkext for 10.5.4. Only use on an installed system not for the DVD

Mount the iso read-write:

sudo hdiutil attach ”Your ISO file’s name” -readwrite

Copy the Extensions.mkext file to the mounted iso’s Extensions folder:

cp -Rp /path/to/new/Extensions.mkext.kext /”Your mounted ISO“/System/Library/

Copy the unzipped GMA900 installer pkg to the mounted iso in the System/Installer/Packages folder. You need to rename it the same as a package already there that you know you wont be installing. In this case, pick the GMA950, Zydas 802.11USB or another package that you know you don’t need to install. Put the downloaded GMA900 package in its place with the EXACT same file name. You can use the mouse and drag copy this one =)

Make sure you change the file permissions so that the installer can read them:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /”Your mounted ISO”/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo chmod -R 755 /”Your mounted ISO“/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Unmount and burn a DVD from your now patched image, then boot from it. If all went well it should show the installer since you now have the drivers in the mkext for your video card =)

sudo hdiutil detach /”Your mounted ISO”

Remember when we replaced that package? Well during the install, select GMA950 or the other driver package that you picked the name of to replace for the video drivers and it will install the new driver package that you put in its place =)

Method 2:

Remove the drive from the laptop (most laptops these days only require 2 screws to take a drive out now) but please make sure the power is off and the battery is out.

Either directly attach it to your desktop PC using the appropriate cabling (IDE 3.5” to 2.5” cable adapter) or a USB to IDE adapter (I use an Apricorn Drivewire)

Install using the other computer to your laptop drive

Once the install is done you will need to run the GMA_900_1053 installer to put the GMA 900 drivers on the laptop’s hard drive. The installer will let you pick the which drive for the install so be sure you pick the right one. =)

Change the permissions for the kext files that just got installed, shutdown and re-install the drive in your laptop and enjoy 10.5.4 with video the way it is supposed to!

sudo chown -R root:wheel /”Your Mounted ISO”/System/Library/Extensions/*

sudo chmod -R 755 /”Your Mounted ISO“/System/Library/Extensions/*

It will complain about not being able to change permissions on boot.efi and bootx.

This is normal behavior so don’t worry =)

Additional Notes:

If you have a GMA 950 video card you can use the same method in step 1 above but use:

ExtensionsGMA950.mkext.zip - Replacement GMA950 mkext from leo4all v3

GMA950.pkg.zip - GMA950 driver package from Leo4all V3

If you forget to repair the extensions owner and permissions it will boot to a blue/grey screen, the files were installed without the correct permissions and the disc wont boot. Just repair them on your image, burn a new disc and try again =)

Hope this helps!

Firefox408

http://osx86.darkstar.net

Thanks to your helpful giude I got to login window and so on.

I got a second partition for test based on kaly +jas combo update 10.5.3 then..

The only one part I got wrong is replacemente of the gma950 kext..could you explain bit better.Why I need to replace the Extensions.mkext instead of fill with the GMA950 one on th system.

Thanks for your time :(

Thanks to your helpful giude I got to login window and so on.

I got a second partition for test based on kaly +jas combo update 10.5.3 then..

The only one part I got wrong is replacemente of the gma950 kext..could you explain bit better.Why I need to replace the Extensions.mkext instead of fill with the GMA950 one on th system.

Thanks for your time :)

You need the Extensions.mkext because it has the video driver you need when booting off the CD to initialize the video correctly, the Installer package is what you need to have your system working after the installer is done =)

It's a 2 part process, 1 for the booting portion, and 2 for installing the driver on your hard drive

Firefox408

I have iATKOS v4i Leopard 10.5.4 works very well on my Dell 640m, but I'd like to try JaS release, so I tried this method (graphics adaptor is recognized as Intel 945GM in Vista, and Intel GMA950 in iATKOS Leopard 10.5.4):

1. With default JaS ISO, black screen

2. With firefox408's Extensions.mkext and firefox408's GMA950.pkg, grey screen

3. With firefox408's Extensions.mkext and iATKOS's gma950.pkg, out of sync, I can see top half of installation screen but with very low resolution, mouse and keyboard didn't work

4. With default JaS's Extensions.mkext and firefox408's GMA950.pkg, black screen

5. With default JaS's Extensions.mkext and iATKOS's gma950.pkg, black screen

Hey guys

What you mean with "blue screen of death"? All you need to do is plug in an external screen and you can install it.

I did that, but i can't get it to work even after install so i'm gonna try use the gma950.kext you poseted here.

Update: Actually... installation work 100%, booting the new system work fine, it switched to gfx more still works fine

It then shows a dialog with a "Continue" button -> Click the button and Boom.. it stalls forever with a clocking pointer.

also the installing process is missing the PS2Controller.pkg, had to install it manually...

Stuck for now... snif

-----

ouaou... works 100% on a Dell B130.

Thanks a bunch !

No, black screen means the LCD is turned off, but I can see the harddisk spin. External monitor doesn't work either.

It only means that the installer doesn't have your videocard driver. Patched it and it will work..

OK, if you read my previous post - it almost works

It freezes after install when I click the Continue button.

This can be due to two different things:

1. At this point the screen should flip... so it could be the GMA900 driver

2. Or it might be a PS/2 driver issue...

Any hints on how to figure it out ?

OK, if you read my previous post - it almost works

It freezes after install when I click the Continue button.

This can be due to two different things:

1. At this point the screen should flip... so it could be the GMA900 driver

2. Or it might be a PS/2 driver issue...

Any hints on how to figure it out ?

Hi,

One thing to check is if you have the correct PS/2 Package installed. Previous versions install fine but don't work, and 1 actually kernel panics when loaded. I updated the main post with the correct PS/2 package that works with JaS 10.5.4 so you don't have to go dig for it.

Another thing to check is make sure that your install has the equivalent of the Leopard Graphics update 1.0 installed, someone suggested that on IRC to a Kalyway user and him installing the Graphics Update then re-installing the GMA900 driver worked.

Firefox408

@Firefox408

Do you think its effective if after i install the 10.5.4 on my laptop harddisk,i will install the graphic update then edit some files to make my gma900 work using different computer and after that just repair disk..

I tried this on my Laptop (Compaq Presario A938CA) Intel 965 and GMA x3100, without success. The internal screen goes half blue, while my external monitor is fully blue.

It works with Leo4all v3. In my searching, I came across this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&pid=768387

Would applying these patches work? I would be patching the ISO, rather than an installed OS. Can anyone help this newbie with instructions?

S.

There must be something I am doing wrong. I mount JaS 10.5.4 read/write and overwrite via terminal the old Extensions.mkext successfully. But then I can't find the path "System/Installer/Packages", what I find is "System/Installation/Packages" (see Immagine1), and even there, seems like some packages are missing (see Immagine2), because I wanted to overwrite the gma 950 package, but can't find it...

Please Help

post-25217-1219934954_thumb.png

post-25217-1219934973_thumb.png

There must be something I am doing wrong. I mount JaS 10.5.4 read/write and overwrite via terminal the old Extensions.mkext successfully. But then I can't find the path "System/Installer/Packages", what I find is "System/Installation/Packages" (see Immagine1), and even there, seems like some packages are missing (see Immagine2), because I wanted to overwrite the gma 950 package, but can't find it...

Please Help

mate,you will never fine a gma950 there,that's why you have to patched it. Please read the instructions carefully. understand this part:Copy the unzipped GMA900 or GMA950 installer pkg to the mounted iso in the System/Installer/Packages folder. You need to rename it the same as a package already there that you know you wont be installing. In this case, pick the GMA950, Zydas 802.11USB or another package that you know you don’t need to install. Put the downloaded GMA900 or GMA950 package in its place with the EXACT same file name. You can use the mouse and drag copy this one..

Hope this will clear you mind..

mate,you will never fine a gma950 there,that's why you have to patched it. Please read the instructions carefully. understand this part:Copy the unzipped GMA900 or GMA950 installer pkg to the mounted iso in the System/Installer/Packages folder. You need to rename it the same as a package already there that you know you wont be installing. In this case, pick the GMA950, Zydas 802.11USB or another package that you know you don’t need to install. Put the downloaded GMA900 or GMA950 package in its place with the EXACT same file name. You can use the mouse and drag copy this one..

Hope this will clear you mind..

English isn't my native language so sorry if I insist, don't want to annoy anyone. Reading carefully again the instructions, I still expect to find in System/Installer/Packages folder the GMA950 or Zydas 802.11USB kexts. The text says to rename the gma 900 package (the one downloaded from this page) as a package already there, an d suggests to replace GMA950, Zydas 802.11USB. So I thought I was supposed to find them there.

Anyway, the reason why I insist is that I don't want to screw the installation dvd... would you suggest a kext to replace, amongs the ones I have (see immagine2 on my previous post)?

English isn't my native language so sorry if I insist, don't want to annoy anyone. Reading carefully again the instructions, I still expect to find in System/Installer/Packages folder the GMA950 or Zydas 802.11USB kexts. The text says to rename the gma 900 package (the one downloaded from this page) as a package already there, an d suggests to replace GMA950, Zydas 802.11USB. So I thought I was supposed to find them there.

Anyway, the reason why I insist is that I don't want to screw the installation dvd... would you suggest a kext to replace, amongs the ones I have (see immagine2 on my previous post)?

Ok mate,to help you out,under the System/Installer/packages,we used the zydas 802.11usb name to our gma900 driver,it means copy the exact name of the zydas and rename your gma900 package to its exact name. so to be simple gma900 name = zydas 802.11usb so that when yo will select jas cd,check the zydas name there because its a gma900 file now not the original zydas.

Ok mate,to help you out,under the System/Installer/packages,we used the zydas 802.11usb name to our gma900 driver,it means copy the exact name of the zydas and rename your gma900 package to its exact name. so to be simple gma900 name = zydas 802.11usb so that when yo will select jas cd,check the zydas name there because its a gma900 file now not the original zydas.

I have exactly the same confusion here. I can't see a "System/Installer/Packages" directory structure I only see "System/Installation/Packages", and it doesn't contain any drivers - only applications (iTunes etc.).

Any ideas ?