Ruined My iMac's Brushed Aluminum

Takuro

7 posts in this topic

I got an iMac a couple months ago and noticed a really small impression in the brushed aluminum on the very front left side, in plain view on the computer. I ignored it for a few months but then attempted to fix it by gently rubbing some fine-grain sandpaper around it in a circular motion, but I wound up digging through the finish a bit and creating a very shiny, scratched area. What was once a small eye sore is now a pretty big one.

Are there any products I can buy to fix the finish? This thing is brand new and I'm royally pissed at myself for doing this. Could I possibly turn it in to an Apple store and claim it had the blemish since I got it, and ask if they could fix the aluminum face or maybe replace it? I mean, it's not a TOTAL lie since the top corners of the display came with little nicks in them when I opened it out of the box, in addition to the little impression in the front.

For now I'm going to use one of those handy white Apple stickers to place over it. :D

I got an iMac a couple months ago and noticed a really small impression in the brushed aluminum on the very front left side, in plain view on the computer. I ignored it for a few months but then attempted to fix it by gently rubbing some fine-grain sandpaper around it in a circular motion, but I wound up digging through the finish a bit and creating a very shiny, scratched area. What was once a small eye sore is now a pretty big one.

Are there any products I can buy to fix the finish? This thing is brand new and I'm royally pissed at myself for doing this. Could I possibly turn it in to an Apple store and claim it had the blemish since I got it, and ask if they could fix the aluminum face or maybe replace it? I mean, it's not a TOTAL lie since the top corners of the display came with little nicks in them when I opened it out of the box, in addition to the little impression in the front.

For now I'm going to use one of those handy white Apple stickers to place over it. :P

Don't try to rip off apple... just leave the sticker there

It's worth a shot, the worst that can happen is that they'll say no. You probably would have been better off just taking it back right away though.

For now I'm going to use one of those handy white Apple stickers to place over it. :P

So that's what they're for...

I called AppleCare and they said that sometimes iMacs, although generally one of their more durable products, can get blemishes and defects. Even though my attempts to fix it exacerbated it, they told me they'd fix it because it already had an initial problem and therefore it isn't really "accidental damage." I think part of their ego is hurt by the fact that it wasn't perfect when fresh out of the package.

So basically, at any time between now and Summer 2009 I can drop it off and get my system a shiny new aluminum casing. Either that, or they are going to just give me a new system altogether and transfer an imagine of my hard disk onto the new one. Whichever option is easier.

And I'm not really RIPPING them off... it's a $2,000+ system... and when you can easily get a similar machine for nearly half the price, I'd expect it should at least come with very flexible maintenance plans.

• 2 weeks later...