Vista Shadow Copies take up 20GB!

~pcwiz

13 posts in this topic

Is your hard drive space disappearing every time you boot into Vista? It did for me, and I took alarm when my 127GB Vista partition suddenly had 39GB left. After doing a bit more research, I found out that Vista stores old versions of files, or "Shadow copies" which function similar to Time Machine, except they clog up your boot drive rather than being stored on a dedicated backup partition. Here is how you clear out this stuff:

1) Open the Disk Cleanup tool, choose cleanup for all users, choose your drive, then once it finishes analyzing the disk and the cleanup dialog pops up, click the "More Options" tab

2) Where it says "System Restore and Shadow Copies" click the Clean Up button, accept the warning and it will start cleaning. Once your system becomes responsive again, and you can hover over the buttons in the cleanup dialog, that means that its done

3) Open "Computer", right click any empty space and click Properties

4) In the dialog that pops up, click on Advanced System Settings from the left nav menu

5) In the dialog that pops up after that, click on the "System Protection" tab

6) Wait for it to detect your disks (may take a bit)

7) Any disk that has a check next to it, uncheck. You will get a warning that you will lose all your restore points except the current one. Now click the Apply button and wait a bit. It might look like it's done, but it usually takes a few minutes before you see any space being freed up.

8) Once you get your free space and it's done, you can check the checkboxes back to reenable system restore and shadow copies (just to be safe)

This method freed up about 20GB of hard drive space for me, and the more stuff you have on your hard drive, the more your savings will be. Hopefully this solves any problems for people who are having a vanishing disk space issue in Vista...

It doesn't happen on XP, XP just creates relatively small System Restore files, but that's it. Vista's shadow copies take up gigs. Personally I don't use "tune up" utilities on Windows as they seem to do more bad than good. If anything needs tweaking, I usually use the manual method, the only tweakers I use are TweakVI and CCleaner (CCleaner can't even be considered a tweak util cause all it does is remove the crud on your system)

FrankOSScripting, yeah I've had the problem tons of times where a virus sneaks its way into a restore point. My anti virus picks it up, it gets deleted, but the funny thing is, if you delete one restore file all the other restore files get corrupted. Isn't that convenient when a virus has infected your restore points, and you have to use restore to get back to a time when there wasn't a virus, but you end up having the virus anyways :huh: And then you try to delete the virus from the restore point and all your points get corrupted leaving you nowhere to go. I don't typically disable System Restore, as it does come in useful sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
Why would you want to get rid of shadow copies? This thing has saved my ass many times :D

Frankly, I've been used to XP too much to take advantage of Shadow Copies so I disabled it. The annoying this is that when you disable Shadow Copies you also disable System Restore, which has saved me several times.

Another reason for the space hogging in vista is saving of multiple files of in the folder C:\Windows\Winsxs which is so called "Microsoft DLL hell" .....I was able to strip it down . Now my vista is loaded under 5.5 gig (pagefile.sys on a different partition) Though I am having a Quad Boot on the laptop

Another reason for the space hogging in vista is saving of multiple files of in the folder C:\Windows\Winsxs which is so called "Microsoft DLL hell" .....I was able to strip it down . Now my vista is loaded under 5.5 gig (pagefile.sys on a different partition) Though I am having a Quad Boot on the laptop

5.5GB? That's nothing! Take a look at mine. :censored2:

winsxsyi7.png

@Colonel and Meowy,

I was able to delete the multiple copies under the Winsxs folder speciafically dated from Nov 2006 and nov 2007 .... and deleted the copies from the Windows Media sample and etc . I was able to strip down and working OS VISTA Whole Operating system under 5.5 gig ...

Follow the guide from these website

_http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=271701

_http://hosted.filefront.com/jisaac

Flying Greets and help to Jisaac -_- for the useful guide and help.

Vista Sucks big big time :thumbsup_anim: MAC Leopard is more stable and lovely than Vista . Refer the Picture for further explanation.

Windows Vista x32 Ultimate Edition

Use vsp1cln.exe to remove the windows Vista Sp1 installation files and use the Vista junk cleaner file to take care of the temp files

Follow this guide

_http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/08/31/windows-vista-system-junk-cleaner/

With Regards,

$tealth

post-75032-1218988741_thumb.gif

post-75032-1218989116_thumb.gif

post-75032-1218989400_thumb.gif