Bought the Dell Inspiron E1505, need help

140 posts in this topic

yeah I did disable the dual core, (which sucks but oh well) and I went straight for 10.4.5, it installed beautifully! No problems except for the booting of anything only when the dvd was in. This was due to my own stupid self skipping a step. I decided to let darwin take control of the boot instead of winxp. Im not truly happy with either doing the booting as either will give you extra steps. Kind of wish there was a boot loader that could do it pretty simply, xp or osx and go straight to either, not where you have to select something again. Oh well, I guess Im lazy!!

Wireless worked right out the box. The machine is pretty fast, it's the T2300, 1gb ram, intel vid card, dell wireless. OSX feels more responsive and quicker to me than WinXP Media Center, and Ive shut alot off in XP. Xbenching will come soon! The screen is lovely! Dear lord I forgot how sexy osx is! Especially on this screen! No sound like you said but Ive looked around and I guess some people were saying that it's getting close! My "airport" card can turn off with Fn+F2, thought that was cool.

Oh the media direct still works too! Pretty excited about that. Well all in all I was very excited about the process, I had to sell my G4 Imac (lampstand-17in widescreen) a while back and always wanted to go back!

Advice for people trying it:

READ, SEARCH, and READ more! There are tons of posts that are unnecessary if you would just look around!

Get familiar with your tools through experimentation, you really shouldnt be doing this on a machine you cant afford to loose info on, at the very least back up your {censored}!

Be patient, it takes a while, and at times it can be complicated.

Lastly, make sure you have enough harddrive space if youre dual booting, my 40gb hd seems like it just wont cut it in a while.

EDIT: the start up now is straight to OSX! Not sure how.... but I lost media direct.....gonna go look for info on getting that back.

Just a quick "hey" to all you fellow E1505 users.

I don't really have any new insights on the sound issue or the dual core instability, just wanted to add my voice to the list.

I've got my OSX 10.4.5 Myz running on an external USB HD.

I was looking at updating to 10.4.6 with Maxxuss' 1.0a Patch -- anyone have any experience with that yet? does it resolve anything? make things worse? no change?

• 2 weeks later...

Does any one know if it is possible to just use maxxuss anti tpm patch on the 10.4.4 restore image inorder to use the 8.5.1 kernal properly with intel core duo chips? if so, does any one think that it may be worth trying to create a install dvd just for core duo users to see if this will clear up the stuttering graphics and any sleep/ACPI problems?

Does any one know if it is possible to just use maxxuss anti tpm patch on the 10.4.4 restore image inorder to use the 8.5.1 kernal properly with intel core duo chips? if so, does any one think that it may be worth trying to create a install dvd just for core duo users to see if this will clear up the stuttering graphics and any sleep/ACPI problems?

No idea mate about whether it'll work or not, but if you're able to create one of those dvd's, i'd say go for it! :)

BTW, how are you going about looking for that 1390wlan-card? Any success? I wasn't given the luxury of the choice when I ordered my 6400, so I had to go with the 3945. Is it possible to get those 1390's from Dell in europe?

fruktsallad, i found the 1390 mini pci express wireless card with dell in the uk. it cost £42 inc shipping and shoould be arriving here any time soon!!! :dev:

Cool, congratulations! :withstupid:

I still haven't decided if I should buy a usb wlan adapter instead (which are cheaper, but more cumbersome) and keep my fingers crossed that some genius will figure out how to get the 3945 working with osx. =)

As for now, the most important issue for me is to get support for the x1400..:-/

Do you guys think the e1505/6400 will ever be fully compatible with osx?

hell yeah i do!! i have every faith that the 8.5.1 kernal will make the 6400 scream and hopefully clear up the sleep issues too. sound though, hmmm i hope someone can get this sorted out , its such an ass having to plug in a laptop to anything other than the power cord jsut to listen to music or have sound.

actually does everyone that uses a dell 6400/e1505 have the ability to play dvd's aswell as diplay a screen saver, as i just noticed that mine aint working!!! WTF!

Hey....I'm glad to join the club here with the 1505...I just bought one today (god knows when it will arrive)

the t2500 (2 ghz) with a gig of ram

100 gig hard drive

got the ati x1300 video (any solution to that yet?)

the upgraded sound - Sound Blaster Audigy (ahem...any soloution yet :hysterical: )

built in bluetooth and tv tuner (anyone even try that yet?)

Now that there are so many out there with similar setups.....any suggestion on which ver of osx to install on a separate partition? (10.4.4 - 10.4.5 - the jas 10.4.6?)

Any solution for duo core?

Hey....I'm glad to join the club here with the 1505...I just bought one today (god knows when it will arrive)

100 gig hard drive

the upgraded sound - Sound Blaster Audigy (ahem...any soloution yet :) )

Now that there are so many out there with similar setups.....any suggestion on which ver of osx to install on a separate partition? (10.4.4 - 10.4.5 - the jas 10.4.6?)

Heya!

Welcome to the club! ;-)

As for the x1300, I'm guessing it'll be compatible (at least able to switch resolution) within a few weeks, with acceleration coming later on. Possibly a couple of months away. :-/

You seem to be out of luck with your audigy, but I'm not really sure - do a search on the forums and you'll see. If you got the Dell 1390 wlan card you should give yourself a pat on the back, cause you'll be surfin away in no time. ;)

No dice if you have the 3945, though (ill be picking up a sweex LC100060 usb wlan adapter today to remedy that).

Oh, and the core duo reportedly works fine with the jas 10.4.6. If it doesn't just disable one of the cores either in bios or the osx boot files (See the dell 1705 guide - most of that is applicable here too).

Cheers!

Hi guys, thanks for posting a useful thread.

I just got my 6400 (same as e1505), and i'm pretty impressed.

Spec:

2ghz Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 100GB 5400.

intel wifi/bt/intel Graphics

I installed XP on a 10GB partition, then OSX on a 20GB, then Ubuntu on a 20GB, (rest for shared hfs+ partition). I use grub to boot them, I first had to set osx to be the only bootable partition, then chainloader worked.

I used the 10.4.6 JaS installer DVD. Selected 10.4.6/SSE3 etc.

I had to set cpus=1 for it to boot okay.

Work: Bluetooth/Graphics/Wired Network/DVD/VGA out

Doesn't work: Intel Wifi/card reader/Sigmatel Audio/suspend/core duo

The Powermanagement bundle worked so i can see the battery life now.

If dual core, sigmatel and suspend worked, i'd prob buy a dell wireless card and finally get rid of my ibook G4.

(Everything worked flawlessly with ubuntu dapper, wifi/graphics etc.)

Hey fruktsallad,

All it said when I purchased it was "430-0493 Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem, for Inspiron" Any clue?

And if support for the videocard isn't there yet (hopefully it will be when I get this thing - I'm guessing a week or two) think I should wait?

Heya folks!

Just reporting that the Sweex LC100060 USB WLAN works like a charm with my e1505! :D I'm posting this using Safari, and I'm connected to the network with wpa encryption. Arrh! :hysterical:

Guess I'll try this out for a few days and then, if I haven't become too addicted, bring it back to shop...I'm still hoping the intel 3945 will be compatible soon...

Btw, have any of you guys with an x1400 tried out omni's driver? Think i'll give it a go later today.

fruktsallad,

Thanks for the help. My dell just shipped :guitar: But as I was going through the threads it doesn't look like my video card (the ati mobility x1300) the network or the sound will work :P . Thinking I should probably wait on this till at least the video works.

fruktsallad,

Thanks for the help. My dell just shipped :guitar: But as I was going through the threads it doesn't look like my video card (the ati mobility x1300) the network or the sound will work ;) . Thinking I should probably wait on this till at least the video works.

Yeah, well, works and works. The video WORKS now in the sense that you get a 1024x768 resolution and you're able to use the computer just fine apart from programs that require ci/qe. But i'm sure you knew that. :sorcerer:

Hopefully callisto support shouldn't be too far off, tho.

Here's hoping.

Yeah...even though I haven't got my pc for this yet (believe it or not still using a 6 year old pentium III) I did put on 10.4.3 on a friends pc...so I have been reading everything on this site for a while.

I'm sure someone will make drivers soon. The dells are pretty popular pc's (hell...they are cheap...especially with coupon codes - 41 percent off my friend ;) ) So I'm sure drivers for the stuff in them is not too far away on the agenda.

Well...here's hopin'

100 gig hard drive

the upgraded sound - Sound Blaster Audigy (ahem...any soloution yet :D )

About that sound... the Audigy is just a software program in order to enable those features. I have the E1405 (exactly the same except case and screen). You have a sigmatel HD audio chip in yours.

Bluetooth may work, TV probably not.

I'm running JaS 10.4.6 with single core support, everything works except for sound.

So, to recap (and bring everyone up to date?) thusfar the only outstanding issues with the E1505 & OSX 10.4.6 are:

1) Sound (Sigmatel HD)

2) Dual Core Support (unstable)

3) Intel Pro Wireless (1390 works okay)

4) ? (feel free to add things I'm missing)

We should have some sort of "to be worked on" sticky note so if/when someone wants to take a crack at these issues there's a concise list.

So, to recap (and bring everyone up to date?) thusfar the only outstanding issues with the E1505 & OSX 10.4.6 are:

1) Sound (Sigmatel HD)

2) Dual Core Support (unstable)

3) Intel Pro Wireless (1390 works okay)

4) ? (feel free to add things I'm missing)

We should have some sort of "to be worked on" sticky note so if/when someone wants to take a crack at these issues there's a concise list.

4... being able to sleep and "wake up"

(although this isn't a huge issue)

the Mac OS X DVD Player doesn't seem to work on my E1505. I'm using a USB Sound device so I would think it should play fine. I hear the DVD, but the screen stays blank whenever I play any DVD on it. I'm on 10.4.5. Anyone else have this trouble?

i had the same issue. screen stayed black, but i heard the sound of the dvd. after a clean install from myzar 10.4.5 or 10.4.6 dvd player worked. before i used an updated install from 10.4.3 to 10.4.5. you could also try vlc for dvd, which should work fine (newest version).