Kernel panic

Jdm111

20 posts in this topic

I shut down my computer and it said do you want to install updates i clicked yes. then left it then i come back 5 minutes later and i have a kernel panic. Every time i try to start it it goes onto the white apple screen for a second then i get a kernel panic. PLEASE HELP!!!

• 4 weeks later...

OK....hers what you do

1) Grab a camera

2) Boot into os x in verabose mode "-v" and with the highest starting resolution possible (ex. "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32')

3) When you get the kernel panic, take a picture of the monitor

4) Upload it on the forum

5) Wait for help

Whether your being an ass or not the picture you posted is not gonna help anyone.

I wouldnt, just boot into your leopard dvd installer, access the terminal and type in

rm -rf /Volumes/"Your Leopard Partition No Quotes"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Reboot and type -f in the F8 prompt

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I recently managed to install iDeneb 10.5.8 on my old Acer Aspire 1640 (Intel Pentium M 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM, IDE hard drive, 815GM chipset with GMA900 shared memory graphics, you can see my progress here) and I started using it in order to bring up any issues still left. I've been using it for almost 6-7 hours (overall during the last 2 days) and I've already had 3 kernel panics.

Here are the corresponding screens (for 2 out of 3 panics):

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

The third kernel panic (of which I didn't get a screenshot) is of the same nature (kernel_task breaks because a memory address of type 0x00000000 is found on some process stack(??) ). All three of them have this same pattern, a kernel trap at some existing address which probably points to a non existing address (as far as I can guess, maybe I'm wrong). The first thing I suspected is some memory leak, and since I can't check the code itself for memory leaks I though of checking the state of my ram module. So, I run memtest from an Ubuntu live cd and nothing wrong came up.

So now I'm asking for your help/opinions in what could be wrong with this kernel panics (apart from the obvious of hanging the system :D ).

Thanks in advance. :(