Problems upgrading to 10.5.4

nfshp253

10 posts in this topic

I am using Leo4All V3 (10.5.2) on my Asus A8Jr (Intel Core 2 Duo T5600, 2GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X2300, 120 GB SATA). Yesterday, I tried installing a new kernel (Vanilla 9.2.0), replacing my ToH 9.2.0 kernel and tried to do a official Apple update to 10.5.4 as others say that if I was using a Vanilla kernel the official update would work right. My first try using Software Update: Failed (Stuck at 18% copying files, where mouse hangs and everything else, and resulted in me forcing shutdown and killing my OS). Second try: Failed again (reinstalled Leo4All and tried using the same method, installing new kernel as if use Vanilla kernel at installation will result in boot failure. Tried using a standalone installer from which I downloaded from Apple. Ran the update at still hung at 18% copying files and forced shutdown and crashed my OS again!) Can anyone tell me why is this happening and suggest something I could do or should I wait for a JaS 10.5.4 ComboUpdate or something like that? ;)

You need to update to 10.5.3 first, you can use kalyway's 10.5.3 combo update available in the regular places--it worked excellently for me. Then you can simply update to 10.5.4 using Apple Software Update.

I updated from 10.5.2 to 10.5.4 using Zeph's AMD Software Update. After the update, I can no longer use my PS2 keyboard and mouse. I tried the fixes in the Tutorial section, but none of them seem to work.

Any ideas?

I tried using the Kalyway 10.5.3 update with the kernel package (selected Vanilla 9.3.0) (which the readme says I need to install) but did not boot successfully on restart. i reinstalled Leo4All V3 and tried the same update but did not select any new kernel, still cannot boot on restart. I would like to know if I could just update and don't use the included patch as before each time trying I would have changed my kernel from ToH 9.2.0 to Vanilla 9.2.0. Can I just use the update to 10.5.3 and the patch to upgrade my Leo4All V3 running on ToH 9.2.0? Please suggest what I can do.

Kalyway did not work for me hang on reboot I used jas update no problems at all.

what you should do first copy vanilla kernel into you os folder then boot with vanilla_kernel to see if it works.

At boot press F8 then type vanilla_kernel and press enter

If it does then install vanilla kernel from kalyway kernel package.

Let me know

I tried using the Kalyway 10.5.3 update with the kernel package (selected Vanilla 9.3.0) (which the readme says I need to install) but did not boot successfully on restart. i reinstalled Leo4All V3 and tried the same update but did not select any new kernel, still cannot boot on restart. I would like to know if I could just update and don't use the included patch as before each time trying I would have changed my kernel from ToH 9.2.0 to Vanilla 9.2.0. Can I just use the update to 10.5.3 and the patch to upgrade my Leo4All V3 running on ToH 9.2.0? Please suggest what I can do.

did you read through the whole readme?

If I remember correctly, when it gets to the Darwin booter, you need to press F8 and type in "update -v" without quotes, and if you still can't start you restart the machine in verbose mode. I think that's how it works, but otherwise the majority of us has gotten to update successfully.

I eventually got my machine to update by backing up the kexts for the keyboard and mouse and then used Terminal on the Installer CD to go back and add kexts back in. I backed up those kexts onto a USB thumb drive so if it breaks in the future, I have them.

I followed netkas' guide on upgrading. Never use the built in software update of Leopard. Download the dmg file manually and update from there.

Current System : iAtkos_BS 10.5.2 --> 10.5.3 --> 10.5.4, update using netkas' guide without any problems.

By the way my installation uses the vanilla kernel.

I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 (with vanilla kernel) then updated to 10.5.2 by using Kalyway combo update. But while updating to 10.5.3 kalyway combo update nor apple original update worked for me, then I used JaS 10.5.3 update and it worked. Then I simply downloaded the 10.5.4 update pack from apple and updated to 10.5.4 without any problem (by using Netkas' guide).