[HOW TO] Install OS X Leopard BELOW 867Mhz ***UPDATED***

.ShadowFox

8 posts in this topic

We all love hacking... right? But unfortunately, hacking the Mac OS X Leopard installer can be very time consuming. Instead, just use this open firmware code to install Leopard on something less than 867Mhz.

Make sure your Leopard DVD is in your drive and reboot your Mac while holding Command+Option+O+F. This will take us into the Open Firmware console.

Make sure it is typed CORRECTLY making sure you're using capitals wherever I have capitals in this code. It is important!

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0

d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property

d# 867000000 encode-int " min-clock-frequency" property

d# 867000000 encode-int " max-clock-frequency" property

boot cd,:\\:tbxi

The last portion of code is very important to include. Be sure your Leopard DVD is inserted before you hit enter after you type "boot cd,:\\:tbxi"

It was a long stressful night for me, but it worked. Here's how it turned out:

Picture2-3.png

Oh, and I might add. I recently aquired a Digital Audio PowerMac G4 @ 466Mhz. If you are a lazy bum like I am, I found an app that does the open firmware code for you. It's called LeopardAssist. Found here: http://mac.profusehost.net/ It worked like a charm on my old PowerMac.

Although, the video card is still the Rage 128 Pro AGP. :wacko: So every thing is laggy as all get out. Bought a GeForce 7800 off Amazon and I'll have to flash it to make it work with a Mac. ***I WILL POST INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO FLASH VIDEO CARDS TO MAKE THEM WORK WITH A MAC IN ANOTHER THREAD*** With all that said in mind, here's a screenshot of my newest Leopard hack:

333z9es.png

Without the good video card keeping up with all the visual styles, in performs like {censored}. I also am planning to overclock this 466Mhz daughter card or buy a faster CPU chip. Thanks for checkin this out.

i see it, i believe it. however, my G4 1.33 Gh has a single-layer SuperDrive, and I can't get it to read the DL Leopard disc. Has anyone been successful at slimming down the install DVD to a single layer?

Neat! So how does Leopard feel on an 800mhz machine?

dopeyo, you should be able to read any dvd on your drive, SL or DL. Most movies are DL DVDs right? Let meknow if thats still a problem for you because im thinking of getting an older G4 imac.

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0

d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property

d# 867000000 encode-int " min-clock-frequency" property

d# 867000000 encode-int " max-clock-frequency" property

boot cd,:\\:tbxi

works this on g4 500 powerbook?

i see it, i believe it. however, my G4 1.33 Gh has a single-layer SuperDrive, and I can't get it to read the DL Leopard disc. Has anyone been successful at slimming down the install DVD to a single layer?

My PowerBook has even a lower drive it is a Combo (Read DVDs and write CDRs) and I could install Leopard flawlessly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I updated the original post.

Oh, and I don't support OS X86. Stealing sucks.

There is a difference between supporting a community project and making a sweeping statement that everyone who uses OSx86 hasn't bought the software.