OpenSUSE 11.0 officially released!

10 posts in this topic

Sorry, I know snakeeyes has already posted this in the *nix section, but I believe it deserves more visibility.

http://news.opensuse.org/2008/06/19/announ...pensuse-110-gm/

The openSUSE Project is proud to announce the release of openSUSE 11.0 — everything you need to get started with Linux on the desktop and on the server. Promoting the use of Linux everywhere, the openSUSE Project provides free, easy access to the world’s most usable Linux distribution, openSUSE.

The 11.0 release of openSUSE includes more than 200 new features specific to openSUSE, a redesigned installer that makes openSUSE even easier to install, faster package management thanks to major updates in the ZYpp stack, and KDE 4, GNOME 2.22, Compiz Fusion, and much more.

----------------------------------------------------------

On the Desktop

Whether you use GNOME or KDE, the openSUSE 11.0 desktop is a beautiful experience. Users have the choice of GNOME 2.22, KDE 4, KDE 3.5, Xfce, and more! See the screenshot page for a in-depth look at the openSUSE desktop.

http://en.opensuse.org/Screenshots/openSUSE_11.0

This is the best UNIX Distro available on the planet, even better than Mac OS X and Ubuntu. The YaST (Yet Another Setup Tool) simply rocks. The new KDE4 interface is very cool. I've been using openSUSE since version 10 release.

This is the best UNIX Distro available on the planet, even better than Mac OS X and Ubuntu. The YaST (Yet Another Setup Tool) simply rocks. The new KDE4 interface is very cool. I've been using openSUSE since version 10 release.

Opinion, not fact...

Well saying it is the best OS around is a bit harsh don't ya think!?

I installed it on my Bad Axe2 board and the performance was terrible! (maybe it's just meg who don't know how to config Linux)

but this was a turn off indeed.

Well saying it is the best OS around is a bit harsh don't ya think!?

I installed it on my Bad Axe2 board and the performance was terrible! (maybe it's just meg who don't know how to config Linux)

but this was a turn off indeed.

I have a Bad Axe 2 as well, and it is quite fast here. CPU, quantity and quality of RAM will make a big difference, however, as well as other factors.

Yeah, too bad OpenSUSE 11.0 is a LINUX distribution, and NOT a UNIX distribution. As a matter of fact, Mac OS X is the only OS you mentioned that IS a UNIX distribution. The others are considered UNIX-like, but are a whole different ballgame.

As a matter of fact, Mac OS X is the only OS you mentioned that IS a UNIX distribution. The others are considered UNIX-like, but are a whole different ballgame.

Where money can get you in... it's quite amazing. :rolleyes:

Apart from that I agree, SuSe sucks and hellknight... I don't think you know yast, only yast2. Every sane sysadmin left SuSe when they replaced yast fully with yast2. Not to mention forgotten drivers in upgrades, kernelproblems with smp (which can really {censored} up time critical applications) and other stuff. About that "polished gui"... I think it's ugly.