QuickTimeComponents.component is Causing iTunes to Crash

MasterBeta

9 posts in this topic

Okay, so, I updated Quicktime to 7.5 and now QuickTimeComponents.component is causing iTunes to crash whenever it tries to access it, it seems (album art, CoverFlow, etc.). I read in another thread on this forum from a little while back that you can replace the component with the same one from Quicktime 7.3. Problem is, I can't find a Quicktime 7.3 DMG anywhere on the internet. I was wondering if someone here with Quicktime 7.3 installed could just upload QuickTimeComponents.component for for me? That would be awesome.. Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response, pcwiz. Unfortunately, I just tried it out, and it didn't work (it actually gave me a new error too... From the crash log:

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 ...ickTimeComponents.component 0x15bf3a87 cos.A + 527

1 ??? 0x0f401f5a 0 + 255860570

Before, it only had "....ickTimeComponents.component" so I'm guessing the version mis-match caused a problem.

Well, could there be another solution to this problem?

Thanks for the quick response, pcwiz. Unfortunately, I just tried it out, and it didn't work (it actually gave me a new error too... From the crash log:

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 ...ickTimeComponents.component 0x15bf3a87 cos.A + 527

1 ??? 0x0f401f5a 0 + 255860570

Before, it only had "....ickTimeComponents.component" so I'm guessing the version mis-match caused a problem.

Well, could there be another solution to this problem?

• 1 year later...
I think I may have solved this problem, at least if you are on an AMD system. I ran Marvin's AMD utility on /System/Library/Quicktime and patched the CPUID in quicktimecompontents.component and it seems to have fixed the crashing.

would you be so kind as to tell me how you did this? i have the EXACT same problem and i cant figure out how to fix it

(sorry for the resurrection, im just too happy to find this after a week of going through forums and what not)

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump and old thread, but I thought I'd post a solution with instructions on how I solved this problem for anyone who finds this in a search. I did this after reading Sorenson45's comment, so really its his solution, but I would like to make it clear for any AMDOSX users having problems.

First get Marvin's AMD utility:

http://rapidshare.com/files/65445720/Don_t_Panic.zip.html

marvinvu2.png

Click on "Create Packer Package" and browse to /System/Library/Quicktime and click Run.

After it finishes scanning it will say how many CPUIDs it found along with how many encrypted.

Mine found 0 encrypted and 2 CPUIDs. Finder should come in to focus with the "cpuid.txt" file.

Back in Marvin's AMD util. Click "Patch all CPUIDs using cpuid file" and uncheck "simulation mode".

Browse to the cpuid.txt file you just made and select it. Browse to /System/Library/Quicktime

on the second browse box and Click run.

When everything's done it should have fix the problem. This problem is not limited to just iTunes, but I've had it in Final Cut 7, Compressor, After effects (when using Apple system codecs), and Even in DVD Studio. (similar crash as OP)

Hope this helps fellow googlers.

• 8 months later...