ProTools LE pre in 10.5.3?

VooD

9 posts in this topic

I've been making some test with the pre-release PT version for 10.5.3 and a Digi002...results...if you are really serious about making/recording music, you shouldn't go to 10.5.3.

Native Instruments, IK Multimedia, and many other RTAS plugs are not stable. They load, and seem to be working, but after a while you get 100% cpu usage and the whole computer frozes for a couple of seconds.

Also PT seems not as rock solid stable as in Tiger. The longest time I could play a big project (almost 100% usage on q6600) were 17 minutes, then it just told I had not enough cpu usage.

I guess I can stand this since I didn't pay apple for my hardware/software after all, but for legit Mac users this must be a nightmare, specially in those mac not able to boot tiger.

Could it be that it's conflicting with something in your Hackintosh? The software was probably designed with real Macs in mind... I wouldn't be surprised if it works fine with 10.5.3 on a legit Mac.

But then again I have no idea. Someone go test that.

Will the newest version of Pro Tools LE work on a Power Mac? I have a G5 which still has a Panther partition so it can run Pro Tools LE 6.7, which was brand new when we bought the computer four years ago - however, Panther is very outdated and it's a pain to boot the Panther partition b/c Leopard works so much faster. Still, I suspect it's going to be Mac Pro-only.

The new prerelease version should work also in PowerMacs in Leopard 10.5.3, but trust me, you don't want to use Leopard with audio applications. Tiger (10.4.11) is MUCH faster, MUCH more stable, and doesn't have any third party plugin compatibility issue. If I could I would roll back to tiger (but my graphics card is not compatible).

Just make a fresh install with 10.4.11 and get Pro Tools LE 7.4 for tiger, is the best you can get at the moment.

• 1 month later...

i've been using protools 7.4.2pr on 10.5.3 core2duo @ 2.4 but i can't backup your complaint.

the only problem i have is guitar rig 2 seems to lock up once in a while,,but to be honest,,it was always {censored} like that.

i go pretty heavy on the synths etc (massive,addictive drums,xpand,fm8 etc etc)

and i've tested sessions that i ran under tiger and leopard 10.5.1,,,

to me they run the same on the current setup,,if not slightly better.

• 2 months later...

my test:

I have mac pro 2.8 8core 8g ram and 2.8 4core ga-ep45-ds3r 4gram hackintosh. All platforms using 10.5.4 leopard with digi 002 rack fireface 800(works very nice) .licenced waves urs antares and some another stuff like spectrasonics vs... with some outboard gear like neve8816 adam and genelec monitors

logic working very nice on all platforms. but protools gives cpu peaks especially with native instrumens plugins and can not register ik multimedia stuff. I can not hear any clics and pops with mac pro(dancing rtas system usage) but hackintosh freez after 10 minutes usage Im not happy with this leopard Im seriously thinking to downgrade to tiger (if possible) because of stability issues on my two system ;)

my test:

I have mac pro 2.8 8core 8g ram and 2.8 4core ga-ep45-ds3r 4gram hackintosh. All platforms using 10.5.4 leopard with digi 002 rack fireface 800(works very nice) .licenced waves urs antares and some another stuff like spectrasonics vs... with some outboard gear like neve8816 adam and genelec monitors

logic working very nice on all platforms. but protools gives cpu peaks especially with native instrumens plugins and can not register ik multimedia stuff. I can not hear any clics and pops with mac pro(dancing rtas system usage) but hackintosh freez after 10 minutes usage Im not happy with this leopard Im seriously thinking to downgrade to tiger (if possible) because of stability issues on my two system :(

Well pro tools code maybe... but logic works very good here too on my hack, except some virus TI problems with midi (randomly notes freezed and sustained) i think is the Virus TI midi usb probs!

Well pro tools code maybe... but logic works very good here too on my hack, except some virus TI problems with midi (randomly notes freezed and sustained) i think is the Virus TI midi usb probs!

YES confirmed...just Enable the DIRECT MODE... i have to enable it and all midi delay gone...so i must always keep one Virus COntrol plugin session opened.... if i want to use usb midi virus ti.

PUAH!

• 3 weeks later...

I am using Pro Tools 7.4.2 and 10.5.4 and it seems to work ok, but if i start editing regions, the system will start to produce white noise (hiss) on playback with nothing audible but noise.

I have to quit protools then launch it again, but the duration seems to shorten til it happens again unless i reboot the computer.

I dont know if this is something new, i had pulled many regions in before without this happening. And i notice now, my USB connected Realtek WLan keeps dropping out. And i have to restart it. And if i am recording in protools, restarting the realtek causes a usb interrupt in protools and drops the recording.

I am curious if they are related.

I just did a clean format reinstall of 10.5.4 and the problem still exists.