How-to mcp67 SATA

34 posts in this topic

FINALLY I HAVE GOT AROUND TO POSTING MY HOW-TO INSTALL AN MCP67 ON A SATA. so here it is!

First off all credit to JaS. for not only coming back to the scene. But being a modern day hero for osx86...

first off my specs are as follows.

dv6700 series hp.

2GB ram

120GB sata hard drive

mcp67 chipset

Bluetooth

Atheros Wifi.

fingerprint reader.

Again all credit to JaS. And of course bikedude880 for original kext and medevil who maintains it.

I happened to install with the latest kalyway 10.5.2 think were some issues with leo4all r3. as far as zehperoth goes. make sure to grab the r2. as that has the extensions folder because with earlier version will involve extracting and rebuilding the cache. which i am not going to list how to do.

Mount your kalyway iso by double clicking on the iso. now if you notice when you go in the disk image there is only the install mac osx. Well easier then enabling hidden folders  

Go under finder/go/go to folder. Type or paste /Volumes/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Library/Extensions/ once navigated their. procede to delete the siliconvalley.kext and the viaata.kext. Next you will be looking for the IOATAfamily.kext. procede with right clicking and showing package contents. navigate to plugins folder where you will see a bunch of kexts. Delete all the kexts except IOATABlockStorage.kext & IOATAPIProtocolTransport.kext. Now copy your AppleNforceATA.kext over and repair permissions by

Sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

then 

Sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

Burn, reboot -f, and install. There however is a few issue with the install. First off i want to say what i have used for install and what has worked and what has not. When installing I choose the sleep kernel. though kalyway installs all kernels. so just type for example. “speedstepkernel” at boot prompt. not a big deal. Secondly sound was a tricky one. I had to leave all 3 of the one kalyway selected to work. the first 3. Otherwise no Dice. As For other boot options i could not select anything for gfx becuase intergrated nvidia. My biggest issue currently is lack of networking. I have a newer HP atheros that seems to be mis detected and giving me the infamous hal 13 error. and since i am first person with this nforce 5 working afiak. there is no forcedeath. though there are sources and someone is more then welcome to compile. But on a good note. Bluetooth, webcam. work out of the box. Now. As far as other things to choose during install I would recomend choosing no ata drivers as you will just delete them later. And no commands kalyway gives you the option of installing. there is no need for cpus=1 or -legacy. the kalyway powermangement bundle is amazing and i highly recomend it. 

Once install it will not boot. becuase the nforceata driver was not installed. It was on the boot dvd only. So once again we need to boot with -f. i recomend -v to just to see what’s going on. load up good old terminal from dvd and type:

rm -rf /Volume/Yourhddname/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAfamily.kext*

Then proceed to copy from dvd

cp -R /Volume/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /Volume/yourhddname/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

repair permissions as stated earlier. 

Now when you reboot another boot command is needed. you need on first boot “-f idlehalt=0” and for every boot after that you also need idlehalt=0 so i recomend putting it in your com.apple.boot.plist.

Enjoy ;)

attatched is the binary.kext. JaS has posted the source.

AppleNForceATA.kext.zip

Here is the modified AppleNforceATA sources, these sources will compile to support the MCP 67 pci sata controller along with all other previously supported controllers.

Once the kext is built you will need to add in your device id's to the info plist.

Dev id 0x056010de and 055010de have been added.

Remember to clean them before compiling or the build will fail.

AppleNForceATA_MCP_67.zip

Does this allow for more than a 128GB hard drive? I've got 160GB and have been able to get 128 with the VIAATA work around but I'd like to use the full 160 obviously :P

This should allow for use of large hdd's , please test it and let me know. Tho I am 99% sure your whole 160 gigs will show :)

Is this supposed to run the PATA dvd drive on the mcp67 as well? On my system the HDD is on a SATA controller while the slimline is on (what i believe to be) a PATA controller. The ID's are in the SATA area so I'm just a little confused. Thanks!

Point of interest:

When I start up the driver announces that it found a device (CMD: 0x1f0, or the primary channel) then it says:

phy connection failed: 0xa322ff03

phy connection failed: 0x0000000

After that the second channel connects and then i get the waiting for root and sam errors.

• 4 weeks later...

any idea if this will work with the nforce560/mcp67 chipsets? also any way of making an iso injector for some of us vista users that don't have access to osx yet? or possibly if this will be included in future versions of osx releases?

Point of interest:

When I start up the driver announces that it found a device (CMD: 0x1f0, or the primary channel) then it says:

phy connection failed: 0xa322ff03

phy connection failed: 0x0000000

After that the second channel connects and then i get the waiting for root and sam errors.

Well the "best" is to come...

read my install log here and you will see what i mean....

Just go down to the end of the post where i talk about SATA drivers....

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=116805

Well the "best" is to come...

read my install log here and you will see what i mean....

Just go down to the end of the post where i talk about SATA drivers....

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=116805

his may be a one in 10 situation, most of the mcp67 chipset users here have the nforce570 chipset, hence my signature. we are unable to install osx due to the fact that it will not see our hd's, all were really looking for is an iso injector that we can use to inject the kexts into the installer via xp or vista. this would be great and i would look forward to trying this out on my laptop!

Well, I've tryed to do that but no work.

I've a HP Pavilion dv2715nr with MCP67 chipset, but after that the install system load the kernel the follow error is printed "Still waiting for root device".

I tryed to do that in my job, there have a Apple PC. Have some software that I can do this in Windows? Or have some image with MCP67 suport pre compiled for download?

well...i was in the mood for doing one but i dont have one single idea how to make a distro.... i have the kexts but no knowledge....

If Anyone is interested in working with me building a distro with SATA suport for mcp67-68 just PM me.

My installation is fully working with SATA and IDE drives fully working after installing ChameleonEFI...

I can provide whatever im using and i can test also.

well...i was in the mood for doing one but i dont have one single idea how to make a distro.... i have the kexts but no knowledge....

If Anyone is interested in working with me building a distro with SATA suport for mcp67-68 just PM me.

My installation is fully working with SATA and IDE drives fully working after installing ChameleonEFI...

I can provide whatever im using and i can test also.

So Hugo, I never use MAC OS X, only sometimes in my job that I need to do something networt test or configuration.

Following this HOW-TO I think that is not difficult, but I don' t find some files (siliconvalley.kext and viaata.kext) to delete.

I can try to help you to do a distro with this supports, the unique problem is for to do tests. Becose how I see are you from Portugal and I am from Brazil.

How you can see I don't speak english very well, but in portuguese it would be better.

If want mail me: kaduuu@gmail.com

hugs

Have some mode to load a driver during the instalation?

Or have how put the iso image of kalyway in a PenDrive, boot from kalyway DVD, mount the pendrive image and modify the iso?

It seems that my laptop is actually based off the MCP67. That's what Linux told me...

I would love to inject this kext into a ISO, but I cannot do it because I do not have a external hard drive to install OSX on... There's no way to import the kext from Windows (or Linux) either. If there is, please inform us... Many of us can't run OS X on our systems because we do not have an external hard drive....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got an MCP67 nForce 560 chipset and I'm successfully running Mac off my internal Sata!!! It's great.

I had a few problems along the way. I didn't have to delete Siliconvalley.kext nor viata.kext. One problem I had along the way was with my DVD support from Flee's kext. Once I had burnt the DVD from Windows I had root device errors but this was fixed with the kext from my previous thread.

This is just a basic edited AppleVIAATA.kext that gave me DVD burning and Read support so I could boot my DVD. Another thing I also had to do was boot the DVD with "-f idlehalt=0". Idlehalt so that the DVD didn't freeze whilst writing.

Once installed I had copy both my drivers off the DVD like Flee had also done and then I successfully booted into Mac OS. The speed isn't extremely fast but it's definitely usable and is no where near unbearable.

I now have a triple boot of XP Vista and Mac running off one hardrive with 4 Partitions mounted to my desktop!

Great work Flee (:

AppleVIAATA.kext.zip

I've got an MCP67 nForce 560 chipset and I'm successfully running Mac off my internal Sata!!! It's great.

I had a few problems along the way. I didn't have to delete Siliconvalley.kext nor viata.kext. One problem I had along the way was with my DVD support from Flee's kext. Once I had burnt the DVD from Windows I had root device errors but this was fixed with the kext from my previous thread.

This is just a basic edited AppleVIAATA.kext that gave me DVD burning and Read support so I could boot my DVD. Another thing I also had to do was boot the DVD with "-f idlehalt=0". Idlehalt so that the DVD didn't freeze whilst writing.

Once installed I had copy both my drivers off the DVD like Flee had also done and then I successfully booted into Mac OS. The speed isn't extremely fast but it's definitely usable and is no where near unbearable.

I now have a triple boot of XP Vista and Mac running off one hardrive with 4 Partitions mounted to my desktop!

Great work Flee (:

I have got mine working nicely at the moment. I used leo4all 4.1 to install to an external hdd then moved the drive into the laptop which then booted with the mcp67 support without a problem. I no longer have to carry the external with me just to use OSX. Thanks for all the help :wacko:

Can someone plz provide a detail explanation of how to edit the iso in mac. I tried doing it so many times, but my dvd does not boot at startup! Do I have to burn the iso image in any particular format to make it bootable in windows?

Also, I could not set the file permissions either when I copied the kext to the iso.. I kept on getting.. directory/file does not exist!!

Any help would be appreciated as I am mac illeterate. Again, thanks in advance!!

HP Pavillion dv6810

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/KN828UA%2523ABA